What's the best dry yeast for priming with prior to bottling for Belgian Tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondratemime

Reaction score
I've got an awesome Tripel chugging away in primary at the moment and I'd like it to be a nice clear beer so I plan on transferring to secondary and cold crashing it before bottling. I know I could just bottle and prime as normal with few problems, but I've read that with high gravity beers (this one started at 1.085) the yeast wont be at their best after fermentation is complete. Either way, it wont hurt to add a little yeast so I think it's reasonable insurance against problems during bottle conditioning.

I really can't be arsed with making a starter so was just going to add a few grams of dry yeast, but does it matter which? I have some Danstar Nottingham on hand, but could also pick up any of the Fermentis strains locally. US-05 is a nice neutral yeast, but would T-58 be a little more suited to what I was trying to achieve?

What say you?

James

When I made my first Oktoberfest it was highly recommended to add 1 gram of EC-1118 yeast per 5-6 gallon batch into the fermenting bucket, this is a champagne yeast that doesn't impart any flavors or change the sensory profile due to it's relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution.
Although it was recommended to add the dry yeast to the bottling bucket, which worked out perfectly, this last batch I decided to hydrate it before pitching the yeast into the bottling bucket, the result was carbonation within 3 days. Several weeks out and there are no gushers, or bottle bombs.
I keep a few packets of this on hand.

Yep, I use the champagne yeast. But that's only if I'm conditioning for long periods of time, like 6 months. BTW secondaries don't make your beer more clear.

Back