What's going on here? Bretts infection in every attempt at mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fact check time.

Brett is killed at standard pasteurization temps. Get the idea out of your head that any "extreme" measures are needed. The normal 20-40 PUs is plenty.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25989358

Does heat destroy necessary nutrients for yeast? Absolutely not. Brewers. Boil. Everything. Usually for an hour. The yeast still make beer.

OK, thanks for the correction. :)

Out of curiosity, then, why is the advice to throw away and replace your equipment or burn down your brewery and move 50 miles away if the answer is as easy as boiling your ingredients and equipment? Seems like there's a disconnect somewhere.

I got different information when I researched as well. The source I read said that significantly more than 150f was needed to kill bretts, and even then I've boiled everything before and the bretts still came back in my sugar water tests. (boiling is 212F). So I'm not sure what to think on that front. I know the biggest problem with wineries is that bretts infects oak, primarily, and obviously porous wood would be hard to disinfect.

I don't know what to think anymore. I'll keep an eye on that mead, which seems to smell kind of like sweet bread until I stir it, then woof. I'm hoping that my palette just picks up on bad smells more than good ones, and it's fine. Wine puts off strange, but normal, smells during primary, too. /shrug

why is the advice to throw away and replace your equipment or burn down your brewery and move 50 miles away...?
No reasonable modern brewer would suggest that.

Trust info from quality scientific sources.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Quality_Assurance

I've boiled everything before and the bretts still came back in my sugar water tests. (boiling is 212F). So I'm not sure what to think on that front.
The contamination (assuming you have one) obviously isn't from the must itself, but rather somewhere in your equipment or additives.

The source I read said that significantly more than 150f was needed to kill bretts
What source?
Live microbes simply don't withstand boiling. It matters whether it's dry vs wet heat.

There are some spores that survive in boiling temperatures.

There is a high temperature tolerant strain of clostridium, which produces butyric acid. While it can survive in boiling water, it is sensitive to ph below 4. Your wine must could be lower than that, your mead must, maybe not.
Butyric flavors range from very stinky cheese to vomit.

Enjoy your breakfast.

True, that is why I specified live microbes.

Clostridium (which forms spores; spores aren't alive) isn't considered a spoilage microbe in fermented beverages because of its pH, oxygen, and alcohol limitations.
It does not grow in the presence of oxygen (strict anerobe), so it won't grow before fermentation begins. Saccharomyces adjusts the pH downward so it doesn't grow after fermentation begins. PH 4.5 is generally low enough to adequately inhibit growth. Modest alcohol concentration also inhibits its growth (2-6% ABW).

Seems pretty unlikely to be the cause of the issue here in my opinion.

No reasonable modern brewer would suggest that.

Trust info from quality scientific sources.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Quality_Assurance

The contamination (assuming you have one) obviously isn't from the must itself, but rather somewhere in your equipment or additives.

What source?
Live microbes simply don't withstand boiling. It matters whether it's dry vs wet heat.

Okay, so, at the risk of boring you to tears, I'll explain how this happened. My first mead batch, maybe close to two years ago, took forever to ferment and eventually became infected. It infected my equipment, obviously. In my panic, I googled this brewing malady for hours and the only diagnosis that ever fit the symptoms was bretts, to which all solutions pointed to "throw it out." No sir.

Being raised by people whose motto in life was "waste not," I snapped on the rubber gloves and got to work trying everything I could think of to scour that bretts away. I bleached, then tested. Boiled, then tested. Baked, then tested. Scrubbed, then tested. It was during these tests that I realized two things. One, bretts could actually be seen on the hot, drying glass in the sun as small dots - biofilm, I believe. And two, my strong will alone did not negate the advice of better learned, wiser brewers than myself: throw it out. I was defeated.

Subsequent tests with new equipment have all lead to the same results. If I can't afford to replace it right now, it doesn't touch my mead.

Habs - I really hope you get to the bottom of this. You're no stranger to sanitation protocols and what you're experiencing would be nothing less than a nightmare to me.
Good luck bro.

Thanks. Hoping we'll clear this up soon.

There are some spores that survive in boiling temperatures.

There is a high temperature tolerant strain of clostridium, which produces butyric acid. While it can survive in boiling water, it is sensitive to ph below 4. Your wine must could be lower than that, your mead must, maybe not.
Butyric flavors range from very stinky cheese to vomit.

Enjoy your breakfast.

I'm a parent, stinky cheese and vomit are nothing compared to "come wipe my butt" while I'm shoveling food into my face.

Did you include the nutrients in your sugar water tests ?

No. Just sugar dissolved in boiling water, and a tight seal of plastic wrap over the top (not touching the sugar water) so that the test wouldn't be compromised.

But now that you mention it.... maybe another spring water bottle, with some sugar and yeast nutrient would yield answers.

Sorry friend :( I don't know what to tell you.

Boiling, PBW/percarbonate soak on disassembled equipment, nothing abrasive on plastic, Star San on clean surfaces, and proper aseptic/clean technique should generally be enough to prevent contamination.
It's puzzling why you're having problems because it sounds like you're doing a lot of things right and trying to figure out the source.

Sit down before you read this. I make stuff with Brett, wild yeast, and bacteria all the time and it doesn't contaminate my clean batches. I maintain a yeast ranch of wild/Brett cultures. My long term Brett sours sit right next to where I bottle. I use the same bottling equipment for both clean and wild batches. In fact, I don't even clean my bottling bucket besides rinsing with hot tap water after use!
All this to say... I think there's hope once you determine the source; there has to be something. I don't think wild microbes in the surrounding area are a huge concern since we ALL have them.

Here's my bottling wand and rotating spigot broken down for soaking:
20190320_170423.jpg

I never use airlocks, I confess to the flagrant use of fresh towels thrown over buckets.

I wonder if this practice in combination with the long lag time for the yeast to start allows the contaminant to infiltrate? The only problem with this argument is that you covered the sugar water test with plastic wrap... Remind me where the yeast is coming from - a fresh satchet sanitized with starsan along with the scissors used to cut it open, I hope? Have you tried using goferm to decrease the lag time?

FWIW, I’ve boiled my nutrient additions in a shot glass worth of water before adding, and I’ve also just dumped them in straight. Never a problem. I’d say it’s a “safer is better than than sorry” situation even though it’s time consuming to boil and wait for the mixture to cool long enough before adding so as to not injure the fermenting yeast.

Sit down before you read this. I make stuff with Brett, wild yeast, and bacteria all the time and it doesn't contaminate my clean batches. I maintain a yeast ranch of wild/Brett cultures. My long term Brett sours sit right next to where I bottle. I use the same bottling equipment for both clean and wild batches. In fact, I don't even clean my bottling bucket besides rinsing with hot tap water after use!
All this to say... I think there's hope once you determine the source; there has to be something. I don't think wild microbes in the surrounding area are a huge concern since we ALL have them.

Here's my bottling wand and rotating spigot broken down for soaking:
View attachment 618379
Exactly my experience. Except I don't yeast ranch. l cool ship my sours. I feel for the OP.

I wonder if this practice in combination with the long lag time for the yeast to start allows the contaminant to infiltrate? The only problem with this argument is that you covered the sugar water test with plastic wrap... Remind me where the yeast is coming from - a fresh satchet sanitized with starsan along with the scissors used to cut it open, I hope? Have you tried using goferm to decrease the lag time?

FWIW, I’ve boiled my nutrient additions in a shot glass worth of water before adding, and I’ve also just dumped them in straight. Never a problem. I’d say it’s a “safer is better than than sorry” situation even though it’s time consuming to boil and wait for the mixture to cool long enough before adding so as to not injure the fermenting yeast.

When I first read his post I thought maybe the Brett had infected his towels. Then air currents might possibly blow some Brett spores down from the towels into his must when he drapes the towels over his buckets.

Well, it's a thought. I don't know whether it has any merit or not.

This thread is better than a mystery novel! With all the clues now on the table, I'm aching to know what done it.

Last edited:

Well heck, at this point I'll try anything to solve the riddle.

When I first read his post I thought maybe the Brett had infected his towels. Then air currents might possibly blow some Brett spores down from the towels into his must when he drapes the towels over his buckets.

Well, it's a thought. I don't know whether it has any merit or not.

This thread is better than a mystery novel! With all the clues now on the table, I'm aching to know what done it.

I had reservations about the towels, too. But. My house is crazy dry thanks to a wood burning stove, so even after washing, residual moisture wouldn't remain on towels for things to breed. And I bleach them, which I'm pretty sure kills just about everything. And I make plenty of wines this way, both fruit wines and kit wines, and no contamination.

So just out of curiosity, mead isn't supposed to smell sour like bandaids? I mean maybe all this time it's been fine and I just don't like the smell. Otherwise, I'm about to go introduce a gallon of infected mead to my compost pile. For my next trick: dumping honey straight into the spring water bottle and dry pitching yeast.

So just out of curiosity, mead isn't supposed to smell sour like bandaids?

Nope.

I think you'll like the "dumping honey straight into the spring water bottle and dry pitching yeast" method. You can throw together a mead very quickly that way.

It's sour smelling, like vomit and bandaids and horses.

So just out of curiosity, mead isn't supposed to smell sour like bandaids?

I initially thought chlorine due to bandaid but chlorophenols should not leave a film or smell like horses or vomit. Do you have a someone in your area that you could take a sample to? A second nose and set of eyes may be of benefit in narrowing down the culprit.
Does it smell like rhino-farts?

How is your mead process different from your wine process? I assume they should be similar:

Add must/honey to fermenter.
Add water to volume.
Add nutrients.
Add yeast.
Cover with cloth or airlock.

Are there any differences in your fermenting process between wine and mead? Same temp, location in house, etc.

Is the honey locally sourced or from a home-brew shop? If the honey has a water content of more that ~20% micro-organisms could grow in it. I pick up honey from my LHBS in a sanitized plastic container. Do you sanitize the container you get your honey in? If the water content is less that ~20% this should not matter much though.

and my sugar water tests continually made more bretts.

Would you describe your sugar test.

I started a test batch 2 days ago a for another project with about 2.5# of sugar in a gallon carboy, OG 1.102 With nutrients and half a packet of RedStar Premier Blanc I had a vigorous fermentation going at the 24 hour point. Temp is ~69F. Does your mead and/or sugar fermentation show good signs within 24 hours?

Well heck, at this point I'll try anything to solve the riddle.

I had reservations about the towels, too. But. My house is crazy dry thanks to a wood burning stove, so even after washing, residual moisture wouldn't remain on towels for things to breed. And I bleach them, which I'm pretty sure kills just about everything. And I make plenty of wines this way, both fruit wines and kit wines, and no contamination.

So just out of curiosity, mead isn't supposed to smell sour like bandaids? I mean maybe all this time it's been fine and I just don't like the smell. Otherwise, I'm about to go introduce a gallon of infected mead to my compost pile. For my next trick: dumping honey straight into the spring water bottle and dry pitching yeast.

Did you ever sort it out?

Today I had my first "band-aid" mead, and, yuck!, that taste is nasty. It was an EC-1118 yeast which had somehow stalled early in the fermentation process, and so I had pitched some more EC-1118, which got it moving again so that it finally fermented. I guess something stressed the yeast, but I have no idea what. It's not worth salvaging, so down the drain it goes.

Latest posts

Back