What's Brewing? June 2017 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend I'm thinking of doing a Baltic Porter, same one that the failed pump destroyed. Lagers fermenting at 82F aren't that tasty. And knocking out a Flanders Red. Then I'll be done with double brewdays.

Brewed up another big west coast IPA. Been needing a bitter kick so I went 50/50 2 row/german pils with about 10% sugar for an OG of 1070. 50 IBUs with a hop shot at 60, and then a **** ton of experimental hops I picked up from YVH - equal parts Experimental Stonefruit, BRU 1, and Denali. It smelt like pineapple juice when it went into the fermenter, but I hope a little more tropical character comes through after fermentation. Fermenting now at 65 with US05. Cheers!

I just got done brewing a Fortunate Islands clone just in time for hot weather.

Also did a bit of sampling from some sours. My 15 month old golden wild is tasting much more interesting than it was 6 months ago. I blended some of that wtih 24 month old wild saison and it tasted better than either beer on its own. I threw a few drops of gin in and really liked how that worked as well. I may want to do elderflower or something else botanical.

Goddamn does it feel good to be brewing again. Hadn't done anything since late February due to some home renovation work, but I knocked out five gallons of Mosaic pale ale yesterday, and I've got a saison boiling away right now. Should have both beers kegged within two weeks.

Got a Berliner weisse going, kettlesoured with Lactobacillus plantarum (from pills). Fermented with Us-05 @ 17C, added passionfruit and mango in secondary. Should probably used more fruit though, not nearly as much fruit present as I was hoping. Quite pleased with the lowered pH thogih, got kinda a tropical/rhubarb thing going before adding fruit. First try, will re-iterate with adjusments! (Looks to be landing at around 3.5% ABV)

I hate brewing. I pulled a growler of my APA to take to my home brew club meeting. I sampled it and got a mild bandaid flavor. Strong enough you can't ignore it.

4 batches ago I moved from bulk RO water from the Glacier machine at the grocery store to my own RO system. As soon as I tasted this I assumed a wild yeast infection, but I have not changed my cleaning/sanitizing process so I was pretty pissed off.

Thankfully I was talking about it with the homebrewers and one of our guys teaches chemistry. He looked at me and said "choramines". I then immediately recall reading our HOA new letter which has a note from our water supplier that calls out specifically our water is treated with choramines and should be used for certain medical conditions or aquariums. I falsely assumed my RO unit would strip out choramines.

Turns out the big glacier units have a UV component to dissociate choloramines. I can have that option on mine, but I didnt realize what it was for. In a word: ****. I have 10 gallons kegged I need to dump and another 36 in fermenters.

And I could have fixed the issue with a simple campden tablet.

SAD!

I hate brewing. I pulled a growler of my APA to take to my home brew club meeting. I sampled it and got a mild bandaid flavor. Strong enough you can't ignore it.

4 batches ago I moved from bulk RO water from the Glacier machine at the grocery store to my own RO system. As soon as I tasted this I assumed a wild yeast infection, but I have not changed my cleaning/sanitizing process so I was pretty pissed off.

Thankfully I was talking about it with the homebrewers and one of our guys teaches chemistry. He looked at me and said "choramines". I then immediately recall reading our HOA new letter which has a note from our water supplier that calls out specifically our water is treated with choramines and should be used for certain medical conditions or aquariums. I falsely assumed my RO unit would strip out choramines.

Turns out the big glacier units have a UV component to dissociate choloramines. I can have that option on mine, but I didnt realize what it was for. In a word: ****. I have 10 gallons kegged I need to dump and another 36 in fermenters.

And I could have fixed the issue with a simple campden tablet.

SAD!
At the very least you figured out the source of the off flavor. Are you part of the foam rangers or the cane island guys?

At the very least you figured out the source of the off flavor. Are you part of the foam rangers or the cane island guys?
Cane Island.

I'm hoping the other batches are ok. The APA was the first beer through the RO system, even though I filled the tank and dumped it once to help clean out the new system.

Totally deflating. The chloramine filter and housing add on is I think $50. I've already emailed the company to get a parts list that I need so I can add this on ASAP. Meanwhile I'm not brewing till I get this sorted out AND send a sample to Ward Labs for definitive proof.

Cane Island.

I'm hoping the other batches are ok. The APA was the first beer through the RO system, even though I filled the tank and dumped it once to help clean out the new system.

Totally deflating. The chloramine filter and housing add on is I think $50. I've already emailed the company to get a parts list that I need so I can add this on ASAP. Meanwhile I'm not brewing till I get this sorted out AND send a sample to Ward Labs for definitive proof.

Virtual certainty that the water is treated with chloramine. The municipal water agency should be able to confirm.

Virtual certainty that the water is treated with chloramine. The municipal water agency should be able to confirm.
Read above, I've already confirmed that. Of course after the fact. I made a mistake in thinking an RO filter is an RO filter and I didn't realize the commercial units had an additional UV filter to disassociate chloramine. Learned the hardway.

Did a parti gyle for the first time yesterday, splitting a batch (66% 2-row, 17% each white wheat and flaked wheat) 50/50 1st and 2nd runnings to make an IPA and a Berliner Weisse (12 gallons split to 6 and 6).

Everything went perfectly, including hitting all the numbers I was aiming for (1.052 gravity split to 1.067/1.034), except for one thing: I realized I had calculated all my numbers based off PBG rather than OG. So I guess I'm going to have closer to a DIPA and a slightly stronger berliner than I planned. At least the boil times on each of them are/were short.

The IPA is also my first attempt at doing a 0 IBU beer. I let it free drop to 190 after the boil, then pitched 3oz of mosaic and let it stand for 20 minutes before chilling. Doing several big drop hop additions of mosaic over the next week, including one today into active fermentation.

Did a parti gyle for the first time yesterday, splitting a batch (66% 2-row, 17% each white wheat and flaked wheat) 50/50 1st and 2nd runnings to make an IPA and a Berliner Weisse (12 gallons split to 6 and 6).

Everything went perfectly, including hitting all the numbers I was aiming for (1.052 gravity split to 1.067/1.034), except for one thing: I realized I had calculated all my numbers based off PBG rather than OG. So I guess I'm going to have closer to a DIPA and a slightly stronger berliner than I planned. At least the boil times on each of them are/were short.

The IPA is also my first attempt at doing a 0 IBU beer. I let it free drop to 190 after the boil, then pitched 3oz of mosaic and let it stand for 20 minutes before chilling. Doing several big drop hop additions of mosaic over the next week, including one today into active fermentation.

I've been meaning to do another parti gyle, it really is a convenient enough way to knock out two batches. I did all pils and then added dark candi syrup to the boil for a quad, and then capped the mash with a little caravienne and did a belgian pale ale with the second runnings.

Just went to dry hop the IPA. Absolutely no activity in the airlock and no krausen. Did I have a bad yeast pitch perhaps? Pitched again and hopefully something happens.

Got a Berliner weisse going, kettlesoured with Lactobacillus plantarum (from pills). Fermented with Us-05 @ 17C, added passionfruit and mango in secondary. Should probably used more fruit though, not nearly as much fruit present as I was hoping. Quite pleased with the lowered pH thogih, got kinda a tropical/rhubarb thing going before adding fruit. First try, will re-iterate with adjusments! (Looks to be landing at around 3.5% ABV)

Care to share the recipe/brewing process?

My club is sponsoring a brew in and they're making 2 beers on friday. A 6% IPA and a British pale using marries and wheat or oats.

I've dropped off a 15 gallon kettle and they'll push 5.5g of each Un hopped raw wort to me. I'll then give it a 60min boil with minium hops and push it to 2 carboys. 1 will get WL Trois, the other Wyeast Roselare.

Essentially free wort and I have to do very little labor so why not experiment in making some blond sourz.

Care to share the recipe/brewing process?
Sure! About 30/70 wheat/pilsner malt, mashed in around (single mash rest) 67C, sparge normally, gave it a quick heat/boil, cool it to about 40C and throw in the Lacto pills (sold as food supplements) and let it do it's thing until desired pH (around a day or so). If possible keep around 30-35C. After that you can either pitch yeast or kill of the Lacto with a boil (and at that point add some hops if wanted, no hops before Lacto!). And as, almost, always add fruit in secondary.

My first attempt and it didn't turn out as I wanted, but was a bit stressed as a needed the beer by this Saturday. Right now it's slightly tart, slighty passionfruity, wheat, quite clean with a short life on the palate. Drinkable, could possibly be called refreshing, but a bit boring really.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've found that my kettle soured berliners are a bit one dimensional as just a base beer, but work well if you incorporate some fruit and/or dry hopping.

Back