What would you make...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonJae

Reaction score
...If all you had was
Munich Malt 10L
CaraPils 3L
Caramel 40L
and Nottingham Ale yeast
(You could use any hops)
Would I be wasting my time trying to put a beer together with only these ingredients?
I recently came into hundreds of pounds of each of the malts but I've only ever used these malts in small percentages of the grain bill.
I'd hate to see so much potential beer go in the trash..
Cheers

I just made an all-Munich lawnmower beer as an experiment - 1.050 beer mashed low with a 60 min hop addition for about 25 IBU. Hydrometer sample has an interesting, unique flavor that I think is going to be really good once it's ready. Maybe something like that?

JonM,
Yeah, something like that.
What do you mean by 'mashed low' 145?
And why would you want to mash low with an all munich bill?
JR

Really it was because I made a Maris Otter/centennial smash a month and a half ago and I mashed that low so it would be a dry summertime beer.

I did the Munich beer according to the exact same procedure just so that I could really get an understanding of the differences between the two different malts. That's all.

Read up on mashing and the effects that the temps have on the fermentability of the wort and you'll understand better why you mash at different temps.
That being said you can make a real nice pale ale from what you have. If I were to do a five gallon batch it would be something like this.....
8 lbs munich
.5 lbs carapils
.5 lbs 40L
mash at 152*F for at least an hour
3oz hops of your choice 1oz @60 min / 1oz @ 30 min / 1oz @ 5 min or flameout
using round numbers for simplicity - actual amount of hops used depends on the AA and your personal taste to make it balanced
ferment with Notty at 68*F or so

You could make ale versions of some German amber lagers and amber hybrids (Oktoberfest or Alt). I don't know the exact Munich malt you have but if it's 10L I'd be careful with conversion. It should convert but it might be teetering on the edge.

Why a long boil if I may ask.
What is it about those ingredients that call for it?
Just asking because I do not know.

just seems like its going to be sweet, so i'd embrace it, mash low, caramelize it a bit and hop the hell out of it.

I was going to be smart and say make a trip to the LHBS until I realized that you had hundreds of pounds of these grains.

I would make a dusseldorf alt. It's usually a pils base, but you can sub munich.

Back