What was the best beer you ever brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a homebrew store on the coast has a guinness clone kit that I brewed. all of the members at the homebrew club that tasted it loved it. It tasted just like guinness extra stout from a bottle.

Charlie’s Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, although it was like 30 years ago. I wish I remembered exactly what I did. I know I used as an ale yeast (early 90’s, probably Edme) and I don’t recall the hops although the recipe calls for Cascades. It was very delicate and floral. Always thought it was the clover honey. Recently had a Shipyard Export Golden which reminded me of it. That beer uses Willamette, Cascades and US Tettenang. Perhaps it was the hops which contributed to the beer more than the honey. Every once in a while I try to brew it again and never get quite the same result. Every batch is a little different. I’ve learned over the years to take good notes.

My best and most consistant beer has been my Cream of 3 Crops. I have used only slight variations in ingredients.

My absolute favorite has been the clone of Westvleteren 12, a Belgian quad. Just awesome flavors and at 11.4% abv it packs a punch!
I've been thinking of brewing a quad this winter. I will probably try this one. Any words of advise?

Don't think I can pick a top one...too diverse. Top three though? Probably these:

7.2% Imperial Special Bitter (88% MO, 5% Crystal, 5% golden syrup, 2% wheat dry hopped with Mandarina)
6.8% Bretted Belgian Pale Ale (was almost a dumper, saved by 3 months in secondary with Brux)
7.2% Simcoe/Vienna SMaSH fermented with Verdant

My best was probably my really simple Helles I made over the summer. Super simple 90% pilsner, 10% munich, 90 min mash, 90 min boil - 1/2 oz of German hops at 60, 1 oz at 30 - fermented at ale temps with MJ's Cali Lager yeast. Let it go for about 10 days, kegged it, then let it lager in my keggerator for about a month. Crystal clear, super clean, really highlights the malt. Just a really crushable beer. I've got another going right now, in fact, but this time fermenting with 34/70.

For ales it's got to be my Sabrotooth recipe, that I've done many times and try to always keep on tap. Simple grain bill of 50/50 two-row and pilsner, NO bittering hops. 1oz each Citra and Sabro at 10 and 5, then 1.5oz each at flameout. Then a whopping 2.5oz each at high krausen for dry hop. Best yeast I've found for it is Imperial Loki, fermented about 80-85°; throws some lovely pineapple esters that complement the coconut from the Sabro hops. For lagers it's one I did a couple years ago, that got the name To Hell And Back Light lager; the ferment fridge did a dramatic fail while it was in there, and the temperature rose to 80° before I could catch it. Think it was on Diamond lager yeast. Perfectly crisp and clean, and the first lager I ever won a medal with, a silver at that year's Cascade Cup. I'm too chicken to try to replicate it.

A St.-Bernardus Tripel clone with only Dingemans Pilsner malt, Eastwell Goldings for bittering, taste and aroma (a Goldings variant which is grown in Poperinge) and St.-Bernardus yeast grown from the bottle. Should redo this one, but need to find time to drive to Poperinge to buy hops from the latest harvest.

If I had to have only one of the beers I made from now on, it would be a lager I made with nugget and crystal hops. It was the color of an IPA. I generally brewed ales, but this beer was wonderful, and I have never seen anything like it in a store. I can buy IPA and stout and wheat beer whenever I want, but I can't get this stuff.

I also made a lawnmower lager to see if I could get a Bud-drinking friend to convert. It was thin, and I used corn flakes to make it, but it was really good on a hot day. Unlike Budmilcoors, it was balanced, and it didn't taste like soap. It still had too much flavor for my friend.

Then there was my only Belgian ale.

Okay, I can't decide.

Of my 275 batches to date, the best beer I've ever brewed (actually the best beer I've ever tasted in my life) was a thoroughly recreated clone of 1870 Vienna Lager, taken from Andreas Krennmayr's book "Historical German and Austrian Beers" brewed in autumn 2021. 3-hour cold infusion, triple decoction, 3 months lagering, authentic Austrian Wiener Malt (Stamag), Saazer leaf hops, S-23. Very labour intensive batch with absolutely heavenly results.
This year I hope to repeat the success making it again and adding two more recipes from the same book: 1856 Salvator Bock and 1870 Oktoberfest.

Last edited:
I tried to clone Piraat. I lost the recipe in a computer crash, but I remember it was the heaviest and most expensive beer I've ever made. And in several tasters' recollection, the best.

TL,DR-I made a mistake but still made the beer I wanted to make.

This might be it. A Cold Smoke clone. I’ve brewed this recipe a couple of times before and it was close to the real thing but not quite a perfect clone.
63EC206B-619B-42B5-8448-0CB4630FEE7E.jpeg

This time I made a couple of changes, one on purpose and one by accident. If I brew this again (and I will) I will incorporate both of those. The deliberate change was to use K-97 instead of Nottingham. A German Ale yeast probably isn‘t the first choice for a Scottish Export Ale, but I had a freshly harvested K-97 slurry and thought “why not”. I made a SNS starter at the start of my brewday and pitched it, about 5 hours later, into 68° wort. The yeast took off in just a few hours. The accidental change was that I was fermenting a Lager on 34/70 at 55°. I intended to move the lager into my cold storage room which was, due to sub zero outdoor temps, at about 36°. Between cleaning up the brewery and getting ready to go to the city house I forgot to move the lager and reset the temp controller. Consequently, the beer was in primary for about 10 days at 55°. When we got back to the farm I walked by the ferm fridge, looked at the Inkbird, and realized what I had done. I moved the lager to the cold room and cranked the temp up to 64°. The yeast did appear to take off again, as I saw a thin layer of krausen the next day. I left it for a few days and moved it to the cold room where it stayed for 5 or 6 days. I kegged it a couple of days ago and poured the first glass today. I can’t tell any difference between the two beers. So, I screwed up and still made the closest thing to a perfect clone of a favorite commercial beer that I’ve ever made. The good news is-I know what I did so I can do it again. I didn’t make a unicorn.

From other's perspectives, my Red Rye IPA, Polish Rye IPA or Smoked Porter are their faves and the most requested.

As I get the weird bubblegum flavor from badly fermented/aged lagers, I have never liked them (no BMC, no craft either); until I brewed my own, aged it 3 months, and it was everything people told me to expect. Light, crisp, bitter, malty, and citrusy-floral (I used a mix of NZ and homegrown hops). I think it's the best beer I have made to date.

Best one is the Milk Stout. was supposed to be peanut butter and chocolate flavors, but the PBFit aroma and taste went away two weeks after kegging, was left with a Mocha flavor which is outstanding. It wasn't too sweet and not too dry, it was perfect.

Back