What to do with spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of mine go into the compost, but I freeze about a third of the grains in tupperware so I can bake with it.

My neighbor has a few chickens so I might ask him one day if he wants some.
Do it, you may get delicious eggs in return! My ladies (chickens) will kill for spent grains as it's there favorite food.

Here we go, a pic of the Mamma's eating up spent grain.
IMG_20180829_150519-01.jpeg

We do the same. Chickens love it. I also freeze tupperware containers of it and break them out in the summer for the chickens. Gives them a nice cool treat to help deal with the really hot days.

Do you have any issues with the barley husks in the grain? The few time I've tried spent grain bread, it was like some one place little needles in my mouth.

I add half the liquid for the bread recipe to the spent grain and pulverize it in the blender. There are no sharp husks. It tastes and feels like whole grain bread.

Use in bread, about 50/50 fresh wet spent grain / white bread flour. Plus plenty of baker's yeast. I rarely measure any of it, just go by feel and looks. It becomes a mixable/pourable dough, but way too sticky for hand kneading. It holds shape when proofing in baking tins, then into a 450-500F degree convection oven.

OK. Color me intrigued. Do you add anything (fat, salt) other than flour and yeast?

I keep hearing about people putting the grains out and birds and animals eating them. It has never happened in my 7 3/4 years of brewing. Maybe worms. I once saw a bird land on the pile, look around a bit then scurry away about 3 feet and dig in the leaf litter. I never even saw any animal prints. I live in suburbs though so no deer etc.

Compost, Give to an animal farm, bake with them (but this will only use a very little)

I hope that people feeding them to animals don't use this as the bulk of the diet. Most of the feed value has been turned into beer..........

I wonder if it depends on your brewhouse efficiency for animals to eat them? Less sugar left behind must make them a less viable food source for critters.

I have always had pretty good efficiency and wildlife never bothered with my spent grains either.

"Spent" is the keyword.

Last edited:
I wonder if it depends on your brewhouse efficiency for animals to eat them? Less sugar left behind must make them a less viable food source for critters.

I double mash and sparge most of the time. I get every thing fermentable I can out of the grain. My poultry still love it, especially if they are still warm.

OK. Color me intrigued. Do you add anything (fat, salt) other than flour and yeast?
I do add salt of course, and sometimes olive oil, say 1/8 cup or a little more per large loaf.

My favorites are when I add an oil steeped herb mix to some of the dough, with or without garlic, and bake them as flat breads.

I guess crunchy peanut butter would work well too, but it's really great spread on top.

I found a recipe online for dog treats. Two cups of spent grains, 1/2 cup peanut butter, cup or so of flour and one egg. I ended up needed a bit more flour than the recipe called for...but the three dogs I've treated with them absolutely love them. 30 minutes at 350, then 2 hours at 200 and they are nice and dry/crispy.

I found a recipe online for dog treats. Two cups of spent grains, 1/2 cup peanut butter, cup or so of flour and one egg. I ended up needed a bit more flour than the recipe called for...but the three dogs I've treated with them absolutely love them. 30 minutes at 350, then 2 hours at 200 and they are nice and dry/crispy.

I use this same recipe. My dog really likes them. Hell, I've even tried them; they're not half bad.

Compost.

I've tried baking with it, but never enjoyed the results. Sticky and I'd get husks stuck between my teeth.

I do add salt of course, and sometimes olive oil, say 1/8 cup or a little more per large loaf.

My favorites are when I add an oil steeped herb mix to some of the dough, with or without garlic, and bake them as flat breads.

I guess crunchy peanut butter would work well too, but it's really great spread on top.

Great.

Thanks.

Now I'm starving.

Yup, the laying hens hear when I'm dragging the tub of spent grain and get all excited, eat it all.

For those of you making bread with the spent grains. What do you do with the rest of the grains? I use very little in my bread compared to the amount of spent grain in a brew.

I couldn't eat enough bread to use all my spent grain.

I tried making dog biscuits. The dog was ok with them, but they used such little spent grain that it just wasn't worth my time and effort in trying to reduce how much grain I was throwing out.

Literally is one of my least favorite parts of brewing, trying to get a 10 gallon batch of hot/wet grains into some kind of container to get rid of in the trash. I live on a small property (50x125) in a normal suburb community. I'd like to just rake it into my lawn, but worry about the smell in my tiny backyard. Composting would be great, but I don't have enough browns to mix it with. In the summer I need to try and plan brew days around our garbage days because I don't want all that nasty sitting in my garbage can for 4-5 days in the 90+ degree days.

I tried making dog biscuits. The dog was ok with them, but they used such little spent grain that it just wasn't worth my time and effort in trying to reduce how much grain I was throwing out.

Literally is one of my least favorite parts of brewing, trying to get a 10 gallon batch of hot/wet grains into some kind of container to get rid of in the trash. I live on a small property (50x125) in a normal suburb community. I'd like to just rake it into my lawn, but worry about the smell in my tiny backyard. Composting would be great, but I don't have enough browns to mix it with. In the summer I need to try and plan brew days around our garbage days because I don't want all that nasty sitting in my garbage can for 4-5 days in the 90+ degree days.

If you could make a compost area say, 3 ft x 5 ft. Spread the grains evenly over the whole area. They will dry very quickly. Little smell. Same thing for raking it into the grass.

For those of you making bread with the spent grains. What do you do with the rest of the grains? I use very little in my bread compared to the amount of spent grain in a brew.

I couldn't eat enough bread to use all my spent grain.
I hear ya, a pound of dried and ground up spent grain isn't making a dent of any size in the heap of spent grain after a brewing session. I use perhaps 6-8 pounds of wet spent grain when I bake, and I don't always do it.

So yeah, aside from feeding the goats at the small local farm, most of the spent grain gets composted. I have large amounts of leaves in the wetland area behind my home so I mix those in with the spent grain in the compost pile, together with vegetable kitchen craps and used coffee grounds, egg shells, etc.
We don't waste much, so spent grain and leaves (some grass) make up 95-98% of our compost pile. I really liked the 2 compost pile system I had in the long past, so we may go to that again.

If you don't have a way to get rid of the spent grains, post it on the Craigslist free section. You'll get people interested. If you live in the city, you'll find urban chicken hobbyists who will gladly come by to get it.

/CSB: I posted there once, mentioning that the grain would be perfect for chicken feed. I got an angry response from some woman ranting about how alcohol is toxic to birds, etc., etc. I'm guessing she was asleep the day they taught biology in her school, so I sent her a link to a site describing how fermentation works.

I'm going to try that recipe.
Our new dog (a Sheltie) likes about everything food, so he may like these too. Our previous dog didn't care for them, neither did he for other spent grain biscuits, sold by some craft breweries. But he loved eating the spent grain balls I had hurled into the yard. It's all about finding chotskies. Dogs!

:off: @MaxStout , I got in such trouble w the sister in law when I had my 8yr old nephew help me brew one day and try the "sugar water". She was incensed that I'd "feed him even a sip of alcohol" -- um, I didn't -- and the nephew was SERIOUSLY non-plussed by the "sugar water" which had a marvelous floral/spicey Saaz (altbier) flavor.

Interestingly, when I dump the spent grains in my garden the birds and animals (squirrels) leave it alone. Worms, however, love it.

I have a large compost bin in my back yard where I dump 90% of my grains. If you open it up the next day you can actually see it moving in a wave-like pattern from all the insect and worm activity.

If you don't have a way to get rid of the spent grains, post it on the Craigslist free section. You'll get people interested. If you live in the city, you'll find urban chicken hobbyists who will gladly come by to get it.

/CSB: I posted there once, mentioning that the grain would be perfect for chicken feed. I got an angry response from some woman ranting about how alcohol is toxic to birds, etc., etc. I'm guessing she was asleep the day they taught biology in her school, so I sent her a link to a site describing how fermentation works.

Apparently she has never seen chickens, deer,turkeys, grouse, woodchucks, raccoon and just about any other critter chowing down fremented apples, grapes, pears, .... what ever they can find. They love to indulge almost as much as I do! :bott:

I'm going to try that recipe.
Our new dog (a Sheltie) likes about everything food, so he may like these too. Our previous dog didn't care for them, neither did he for other spent grain biscuits, sold by some craft breweries. But he loved eating the spent grain balls I had hurled into the yard. It's all about finding chotskies. Dogs!

I made them last weekend...both dogs (one German Shepherd pup and a 15 year old Lab/Shepherd mix we actually had to put to sleep today) took them right away. The GS pup examined it for about five minutes but now begs me for one every time I walk past the tupperware container. The old pup nearly took my finger off when she smelled the peanut butter...haha. But the other posters are right...two cups used for about 35 treats did not even put a dent in the spent grains. Rest went into my compost bin.

a 15 year old Lab/Shepherd mix we actually had to put to sleep today
Oh, so sorry, those are rough times! I'm sure she had a good life being with you, getting homemade treats and all. They're such amazing loyal creatures, holding a special place in our hearts forever.

Some times I make dog biscuits using peanut butter but, almost all the time I give them to some one who has chickens, or goats, or pigs. I call on the weekend to tell them i brewed and they bring the empty bucket and trade it for a full one.

A few recipes I have tried are:
  • Bread
  • Dog Cookies*
  • Human Cookies
  • Waffles

* Use organic peanut butter, some chemicals in normal could kill your dog
* I add a banana as well.

I add half the liquid for the bread recipe to the spent grain and pulverize it in the blender. There are no sharp husks. It tastes and feels like whole grain bread.
Did you grind them up before using? I dry them out and use an old blender to turn spent grains into "flour." Store in Mason jars labeled with corresponding beer style. Then add 1 TBS per serving to pancake or waffle mix and oatmeal. Substitute 1/4 of each cup of flour when baking bread, pizza, or cookies.

Gibes me good fibre and never stabs my mouth. Adds a nice maltiness to the oatmeal and gives chocolate chip cookies outstanding mouth feel.
20190123_182126.jpeg
20190123_182145.jpeg

Back