What to do with spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From 'Feeds and Feeding' a textbook from days gone by: On a dry matter basis(best way to compare different feed sources) used brewers grains have 16% fiber, 5% ash(minerals), 23% crude protein, and 50% Nitrogen Free Extract (mostly carbohydrates). So there's plenty of feed value left which is why it is a good feed source.
Having said that, a friend's goats wouldn't touch them. I mostly compost them which makes a great compost. This time of year my compost pile is mostly spent grains and coffee grounds. You do need to add a little lime or wood ashes to counteract all the acidity, or they start to smell when things unfreeze.
add crushed egg shells too.

Hey all,

Im looking for something to do to repurpose my spent grains after brew day. I dont have livestock or chickens, so is there anything I can do with my grains?

Fawx
nothing much left in nutritional value after extracting the starches/sugars ...I dump mine over the fence. I see crows come in to pick through it ,but its still basically there.
just compost or till in to the loosen soil structure.

I ran across a spent grain flour banana bread recipe here. I might try making some spent grain flour and try this and other recipes with the flour.

Dean

I'm also looking for ways to make use of the piles of spent grain. Living in an apartment in the city, composting or feeding chickens etc are not really an option. I also don't have a dog (I'd love to have one, but don't think it's really possible atm), but maybe I'll try making some dog treats anyways and give them to some people I know.

I've made a bread using spent grain once. Flavour was good, but the texture was not really to my liking: it stayed a bit wet and sticky on the inside and the slices ripped too easily. Also, the husks themselves provided a less-than-pleasant sensation in the mouth. I also tried some no-bake cookies once, which tasted great, but they didn't really stick together, so it was more of a granola. And, again, husks. Stupid husks. And then again, there's only so much I could possibly use for these baking purposes, and most would still go to the trash.

I'm also looking for ways to make use of the piles of spent grain. Living in an apartment in the city, composting or feeding chickens etc are not really an option. I also don't have a dog (I'd love to have one, but don't think it's really possible atm), but maybe I'll try making some dog treats anyways and give them to some people I know.

I've made a bread using spent grain once. Flavour was good, but the texture was not really to my liking: it stayed a bit wet and sticky on the inside and the slices ripped too easily. Also, the husks themselves provided a less-than-pleasant sensation in the mouth. I also tried some no-bake cookies once, which tasted great, but they didn't really stick together, so it was more of a granola. And, again, husks. Stupid husks. And then again, there's only so much I could possibly use for these baking purposes, and most would still go to the trash.

You can dry the grains in the oven, set on as low as it goes, and then throw them in a food processor. See if there is a local community garden, give them what you don't use for baking so they can compost it. They might even reward you with some fresh produce.

Latest posts

Back