What to do with fermentation when on vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bufordtjones

Reaction score
Sadly, I have yet to reach the point to where I plan my vacation around my brew schedule. I'm going to put a batch in the secondary right before I head off for two weeks. Seeing as I live in TX, I don't want to leave my AC running too low so I can save on power.

What would you do to preserve the brew?

I'm thinking (a) clear out a spot in the fridge

(b) at this point, about 82-85 degrees won't kill the taste.

Feedback?

I'm definitely not an expert, but if you've checked your gravities and your yeasties are no longer fermenting your beer. I would assume it would be fine as long as it's sealed up so it can't oxidate and since it's in secodnary there are no yeasties to produce off flavors. I know commercial kegs are kept in warm temperatures for longer than 2 weeks during shipping and when they are received at the pub and elsewhere. Even bottles are kept warm in warehouses without problems.

Just my layman .02.

My home brew club had a group brew 4 days before I went on vacation so I kept it at a constant 65 degrees till I went on vacation and I figured the fermentation was almost done so I didn't worry about it and when I got home it was up to 70 degrees so I don't think it did anything bad to it, so today I checked the gravity and it was were I wanted it to be and the sample tasted pretty darn good, so as long as the temp doesn't get to high I would not worry about it. One more thing I had my carboy in a swamp cooler with ice packs when I left, so I think that is what kept it at a constant temp and didn't let it rise to much to fast. But yours is different because it is in the secondary so the yeast are pretty much done doing what they are going to do so you should be fine,JMO.

If your FG is OK and you can put it in the fridge that is what you should do. That will help clear it up too.

If you don't have a fridge, everyone else is right, and it will be fine whereever you put it. I would just prefer the fridge.

Back