WHat to do with a pound of sterling hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I have roughly one pound left of sterling hops that I got from a local brewery. I have no idea what to do with them right now. I have 4 lagers in my two freezers right now so it has to be an ale. Preferably something big and bold but I am open to any ideas. Something that can ferment in the upper 60 range. Calculate these to be about 3% alpha due to the age.

brew365.com is one version - I can't remember if I used this or something similar.

sub Sterling for Crystal - it's a great beer with the Crystal I assume it will work well with sterling.

All-Grain Recipe - Rogue Brutal Bitter ::: 1.061/1.015 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill (Assumes 72% Efficiency)

10.5 lbs. - Maris Otter Pale Malt
1.25 lbs. - CaraVienna Malt (22 L)
1 lb. - CaraWheat (40L) Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (40L)

Hop Schedule [59 IBU]

2 oz - Crystal hops [4% AA] (60 min.)
2 oz - Crystal hops [4% AA] (40 min.)
2 oz - Crystal hops [4% AA] (20 min.)
2 oz - Crystal hops [4% AA] (5 min.)
Yeast

Wyeast Rogue PacMan Yeast - 1000ml starter.

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as Usual

billk911 said:
I have roughly one pound left of sterling hops that I got from a local brewery. I have no idea what to do with them right now. I have 4 lagers in my two freezers right now so it has to be an ale. Preferably something big and bold but I am open to any ideas. Something that can ferment in the upper 60 range. Calculate these to be about 3% alpha due to the age.

Do a big Sterling pale ale, I'll bet the aromas would be amazing. Great summer beer to complement those lagers.

Sterling Pale Ale
12.5 lbs pale malt
1.5 lbs caramel 60
1lb torrified wheat

5oz Sterling @ 75 mins
2oz Sterling @ 30 mins
2oz Sterling @ 15 mins
2oz Sterling @ 5 mins - flameout

Wyeast American Ale II, Safale S05

5oz Sterling dry hop for 10 days.

I like to blend Sterling and Citra. Great combination for a hoppy brew. I find the combination also lends itself well to dark grain bills.

Back