Alpha acid average

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I have some hops, Hallertau Mittelfruh and the package shows 2.9% AA. I didn't pay attention, but now I know, when building recipes I went with the default in the program. Usually this was between 4-4.5%. I now seem to need to double what I was putting in. I have an oktoberfest clone I have been messing with which has two additions. One measures IBUs at the start, 17.2 and with 10min, 4.8. Previously I was right at 28g. Now I am looking at 43-49g.

I get there are many factors that can change the AA%, but what I find is the normal range is between 3-5.5%. Maybe I got an off batch? Should I be concerned if the amount of hops is too much? Talking almost 4oz. I haven't seen many of those kits with more than 3. Something seems wrong, probably me again. Any thoughts?

Well, that is good to know. I have 1lb lots so adding isn't an option right now. I'm trying to run through it as fast as I can. :mug:

Latest posts

Back