What to do with a leaky keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
One of my cornies has some serious sealing issues around the lip. I've replaced the ring to no avail. Can this be fixed at a reasonablt cost or am I better off just getting a replacement (LHBS has em for $25)?

Have you used keg lube to try to help it seal up? You could give that a shot... I usually use Vaseline since that part never touches any of my beer.

Is it dented up? You can always try a different lid or switching the orientation of the lid. I have some kegs that only seal with the lid on a specific way. Keg lube as well.

You can always use that keg as a secondary for bulk aging or dry hopping...

Is it dented up? You can always try a different lid or switching the orientation of the lid. I have some kegs that only seal with the lid on a specific way. Keg lube as well.

You can always use that keg as a secondary for bulk aging or dry hopping...

+1, you can also try a silicone o-ring. McMaster Carr has them. I don't have a part number, unfortunately. They tend to seal better.

If you can't get it to seal at all, try a different lid on it to determine if the lid or the keg is faulty. You can buy a used lid for less than a whole used keg.

If its the keg, personally I would get rid of it and keep the posts, dip tubes, lid, poppets etc as spares.

Good idea mmb. I have used lube and different lids and different orientations all to no avail. The wierdest thing is that a couple weeks ago, it was fine. Had some orientation issues but still held pressure. I dumpued in some fresh, active yeast to help with a diacytol problem and since then it won't hold pressure any more. There are some minor dents in the lip, two, both bent upward, so I'm guessing that's the issue.

I had a keg that wouldnt seal no matter what I did as far as lids and seals go. the leak was coming from a deformed keg opening. I used a small rounded brass punch and a tack hammer to tap out the dents along the sealing surface and it still seals great months later.

Bad cornies are very useful for growing Japanese radishes, if you're into really long radishes.

Make sure you know for certain where the leak is coming from. I was having similar issues with a couple of my kegs but was able to resolve it. The point being that the leaks I was experience weren't always coming from where I thought they were.

How I did it: (Not a Novel by O.J. :D)
I purchased a tall enough plastic garbage can (~$20) and filled it with water. Each keg then got roughly 90% filled with water and pressurized to my serving pressure of 10psi. I reasoned that higher pressure might mask some leaks by deforming gaskets to make a seal.

In turn, each keg was submerged into the garbage can (having it 90% full helps keep it from wanting to float to the top as well as saving on gas) and I looked for gas bubbles. Some were faulty poppets and a few were faulty pressure relief valves. Some issues were resolved by re-torquing the dip-tube posts.

I was able to resolve issues with all 5 of my kegs (even the one that looks like it's from the '50s).

I had a keg that wouldn't seal no matter what- it now is a dedicated Star-San (w/ distilled H2O) container- very useful for sanitizing racking canes, tubing and other long items. Plus, you can get enough temporary pressure to push sanitizer for the beer lines.

All that, and it's a great resource for spare parts.;) It's now the proud owner of the faulty popits, dinged posts and so on.

I had a keg that i bought from Kegconnection. It showed up under pressure, but as soon as i opened it, it never sealed again.. i dont get it either

I know this is a little after the fact, but I just fixed the problem with my keg! all i did was, filled it with water to simulate a batch of beer, then I connected the gas and turned it on. it immediately started leaking around the lid. All I did (after lubing the o-ring), was slightly shifted the lid around with my fingers, and after about 5 seconds, it found its sweet spot and sealed right up. give it a go!

Back