What to brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nu2brewing

Reaction score
I am new to the home brewing scene and what to brew better beers. My question is how do you guys/gals pick what your going to brew next? I guess it's going to take time for me to understand the tastes of different ingredients before I completely understand what tastes and brews I like? Is that how it works?
I see some very interesting brews on here and would like to taste them to understand the ingredient differences....

Speaking personally, I like to brew some "tried and true" beers, (well, with as much replication as can be achieved by the average home brewer with modest equipment, but my set-up is improving) while making more experimental stuff as requested by friends, family, etc. I enjoy sharing my beer just as much as I enjoy drinking it, so if I hear someone say "Hey, I tried a "____" the other day, it was really good, I sit back and think, "Hell, I can make that." Maybe I can, maybe I can't, but that's how I venture into new styles and brewing ingredients.

There are all sorts of "clone" recipes for many commercial beers, you could give those a go until you get your brewing process smoothed out, then I think it's a matter of applying your experience in experimenting with new recipes and beer styles.

Yeah, go with the clone recipes. There are plenty of good books out there that have the recipes in them for purchase. I would also peruse the recipe database in this forum. Just pick a particular style you want to make and look at the recipes. A bunch of good ones in there!

What style of beer do you like? I would recommend one of the seasonal options in addition to a style you like. I usually try a new style in addition to one that I like.

If you let us know what types you prefer, I am sure people can recommend kits or recipes that they like.

Thanks

I feel a need to point out something.

I know I like Porters, Stout and Scottish Ales. However, I have bought a few commercial versions which had they been my first, might have been my LAST. In fact, had I decided on my first Wheat beer that I do not like them, I would not have one in secondary now.

So, before you write off a style, try a couple of versions. I’m just saying. ;)

first i went with styles that i liked. so before i started brewing, i liked Killians Irish red. so i brewed up some red ale, i kinda liked blue moon, so i brewed some German Hefe. other ways i come up with stuff to brew, is the season, and reasons to drink(holidays). so i've got a Dubel going right now, i'm brewing some Double chocolate stout for Christmas, i keep some Pale Ale on hand, because people tend to like it. I'm Brewing a Irish Red Ale for New Years.
i also like to listen to the podcasts on the brewing network, gives me ideas to what to brew, or what to try, or people raving about beer styles on here.... thats when i decided to try Ordinary Bitter, and ESB. Both Delicious Beers.
Overall, brew what you like, or if your like me and dont drink a hell of a lot, Brew some that others will like so you can finish it before it goes bad.

I honestly like Pale Ale's, but feel in stating that it's like stating I like Bud Light (puke). I really like the Honey Blonde Ale I have brewed, along with my friends whom finished the whole brew in 1 weekend! So I am onto a Holiday Ale, that I particularly didn't like the spice packet in it so I left it out and am in a hold pattern for at least another week before trying it. I have thoughts of trying an ESB, A Honey Wheat Ale, etc. I am going to spend more and more time on here and will surely find my place.

Back