what size grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbnguy

Reaction score
I have only done 5 gal. extract on my stove up to this point, and have recently upgraded to a 15 gal. kettle and outdoor burner so I can move to all grain. I am very excited to start my first 5 gal. batch of the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale for my first all grain on this system and would like to do it using the BIAB method, as I do not have a mash tun.

My question is what size bag do I need and where can I get it? I've used 5 gal. paint strainer bags before for partial mash but these are the biggest I have seen. Any suggestions?

Either get sufficient voile curtain material or buy one from wilser. His bags look great and have awesome reviews. If I were to buy a bag, I'd definitely get one of his. For now I've been using a curtain from IKEA folded up a few times.

If you want to make your own bag, head to the fabric store and pick up some Swiss viole curtain sheer fabric. It needs to go completely around the rim and all the way to the bottom. Wilserbrewer's bags are a easy way to get what you need. I bought the bag, a hop bag, a dry hop bag for kegs, and a ratchet style pulley for $36 shipped. It was worth not having to hunt down all the materials and do the work.

Back