What size co2 tank should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undertaken

Reaction score
Well I got the green light on my keg system. Manly because the boss doesn't want bottles sitting all over the house. I want to run 2 kegs at a time but want to expand in the future.

So my questions......
1) what size tank should I get? 5 10 20

2) on average how long does it take to empty one? I don't want to have to run and fill constantly.

Thanks

I have a 5 pound tank. I think I've gotten about a dozen kegs out of it before needed to be filled.

Instead of buying new, I'd recommend checking craigslist and facebook marketplace to see what's out there in your area. Also, contact whichever company you would use to swap the tank, whether it's a LHBS or an airgas-type place. See what size tanks they have, and the pricing. My LHBS doesn't have 10 pound tanks, so I wouldn't be able to swap it out if that was my size.

And if it will be inside your kegerator, you'd obviously need to make sure you get one that fits.

I have one on the kegerater and one on the conditioning chamber,that way when the kegerater runs out I use the other one until I can get it exchanged. Find a welding supply store close by, and may I suggest a fiber washer,they seal better then the nylon ones. I use the one on the chamber for all sorts of things like keg to keg transfer , burst carbing, bottling and such so this one gets filled more. Filled is a loose term here because if you get them filled at the brew store it's just a balance thing with their tank so most of the time you only get 3 or so lbs. If you use keg grease on the poppets and lid seal and don't get any leaks, 5 lbs should last a newbe with 2 kegs a year or so.

I'd suggest:

1. Get two tanks.
2. Make sure the size you get matches i) your kegerator, and ii) the supply place you're going to refill them.
3. Lock that system down on air leaks.

I had a 2.5 lb tank that came with my kegerator (if I'd do it again, I'd build rather than buy, but that's another story). It would last me 3-5 months on average. After about a year, I bought a second 5 lb tank. When one runs out, I switch it out. It typically lasts me about 10-14 months now.

All the LHBS swap out 5 lb tanks. They don't do larger. They sometimes have 2.5 lb tanks to switch out, but not always. They don't touch 10 lb or larger tanks. So if you want to go to a LHBS, get a 5 lb tank. If you want to go to a welding supply place instead, see what they can accomodate (should be almost anything, although one told me they wouldn't bother with a 2.5 lb tank). Raleigh Brew Supply fills your tank for you, so you can bring in whatever you want.

Thread tape is a wonder. It significantly prolongs the life of your tank over time. Small leaks add up over time.

I also have two 5 lb tanks. I like the smaller size for those times when you get a leak and don't notice until the tank is empty. You don't end up wasting the whole tank of a larger size. 5lb seems to last long enough not be a nuisance. I might fill one of my two tanks 2-3 times a year.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like 5 lb it is. My local store doesn't exchange due to the fact we have 2 welding supply stores and a fire suppression store that fill tanks. I have been checking market place and craigslist list daily with nothing. Closest stuff is an hour or better away.

I have to disagree. Get the biggest you can find that's reasonably priced. I have a 10lb and 5lb. I got the used recertified 10lb off adventures in homebrewing for $60. I think it's still available there. The 5lb I bought on craigslist for $25. It costs me the same to exchange both and the 10 lasts forever(haven't exchanged it yet), meanwhile I've exchanged my 5lb like 3 times now. It's annoying. Get a 10 for your primary tank and think about a 5 if you ever get a 2nd or better yet get another 10. I would love to find a 20 lb reasonably priced someday

I disagree with 5 pound also

Almost the same cost to refill a 10 pound as it is a 5 pound and twice the gas.

I have 2 taps and fill the tank 2 times a year at the most and brew 10 gallons once a month

Buy the cheapest used one you can find thats still in date....the first time you fill it they will swap it out and give you a different one

I have a 20. I'm not sure anyone around here deals with anything smaller.

I’d recommend getting at least two 5-pound tanks so you always have a spare on hand. How long they take to empty has all to do with how many kegs you carbonate and serve.

This ^

You can get a lot of kegs out of a 5# tank. I've been running the same 5# tank to push beer in my 5-tap keezer since October. I've force-carbed some of them at least partially. I'm going to say you can get 15 to 20 out of one tank depending on force-carbing.

No, you won't be constantly refilling them, unless you have a leak.

IMO it's valuable to have two tanks, so you always have a spare. That can also be used if you have a spare regulator to take a keg someplace and serve from it using a picnic tap.

I use a 10. I intentionally went a bit bigger when I first planned my setup so I wouldn't need to be refilling all the time.
Going a bit bigger isn't a bad thing because odds are some day you'll want to add more.

I disagree with 5 pound also

Almost the same cost to refill a 10 pound as it is a 5 pound and twice the gas.

I have 2 taps and fill the tank 2 times a year at the most and brew 10 gallons once a month

Buy the cheapest used one you can find thats still in date....the first time you fill it they will swap it out and give you a different one

Quite true.

Due to interior size limitations I had to go with a 5# bottle for inside the kegerator I built (plus one for my son and another for a friend). For other "round the brewery" tasks I have a 20# bottle for forced carbing, pressure transfers, CO2 purging for kegs, etc. Cost to refill each is about $25 at a nearby gas and welding supply. I used to own my tanks but now do an exchange since tanks have to be recertified and pressure checked every 3 years IIRC for CO2 dispensing. I had to take them to a local diving shop for a hydrostatic check and leave them for a day or two. That's a pain and gets expensive. When you swap tanks, the gas dealer does the re-cert, but you pay a bit more than if you only had yours refilled.

The only downside to tank exchanging is the supply place usually doesn't stock 5# bottles so I have to call a day in advance to have them get me one, and they often don't have aluminum 20# tanks on hand so I have to remember to call ahead for those also. A steel tank with 20# lasts a long time but the tare weight + regulator + gas gets a bit much for my 69 year-old back sometimes. I usually get 8-10 months worth of CO2 from each, brewing about 10 batches a year and pushing a two-tap kegerator. YMMV.

Brooo Brother

I would generally agree that bigger is likely better, but there are reasons not to go that route, legitimate reasons.

One is cost. Some of us are in a position where money isn't that dear; I'm an empty-nester, kids out of college, I have resources at my disposal that 15 years ago would not be available.

A lot of brewers here are younger, have kids, and don't have unlimited money. So the encouragement to go larger, 10# or 20#, while sound, may not be fiscally sound.

Another is space. Small tanks are smaller; if you need to keep it in the keezer or kegerator, well, there you are.

I've got a 10#, two 5#, and two 2 1/2# CO2 tanks. The small ones are primarily to use when I take a keg somewhere and want to feed it normal CO2. They're pretty useless otherwise, and cost a lot to fill on a per-pound basis.

The 10# is a nice size; I got mine free from a friend, recertified it and filled it for under $40.

Where a larger size can be a negative is if you have a leak. Losing a 20# cylinder of CO2 due to a leak is a downer. One nice thing about smaller sizes is they aren't as expensive to deal with if you have a leak. In fact, it might be the best solution is a larger tank and a 5# tank; use the small one at the outset to see if the system has leaks; once sure it does not, switch to the larger tank, keep the 5# as a backup or more portable tank.

Also depends what your refill choices are. For the last 15 years where I have lived (2 locations) I only had the choice of 5 or 20 and only to exchange (no places that refill). Then the cost factor. 5s have been $2-$3 more to exchange than 20s, so getting 20s were much more cost effective over time (within 6 months) than 5s.
That said, I have 2-5s and 2-20s. The 20s for carbonation and pushing things in the brewery and a 5 for keggerator, plus a backup for each. I am looking at a third 20 for the keggerator and keeping the 5s around as keggerator backup and when I go mobile. If the cost of exchanging the 5s were lower I would keep using then on the keggerator

Where a larger size can be a negative is if you have a leak. Losing a 20# cylinder of CO2 due to a leak is a downer. One nice thing about smaller sizes is they aren't as expensive to deal with if you have a leak. In fact, it might be the best solution is a larger tank and a 5# tank; use the small one at the outset to see if the system has leaks; once sure it does not, switch to the larger tank, keep the 5# as a backup or more portable tank.

It's a pretty negligible cost difference at the place I've been using for the past 10yrs. I have a 20# and a 5# backup, last time I swapped them both out together it was $22 for the big one and $20 for the 5 lb. Prices have gone up slowly over the years but it's always about a 2-3$ difference for 4 times the CO2. I'm over a year still going on the 20 lb tank.

Even if you lost a full tank the difference between a 5# and 10# is only a difference of like $5, by me anyway. My concern is the the connection at the tank. I've had slow leaks there. Once its hooked up and proven leak free by a Star San spritz the last thing I want to do is open it up to swap a tank. Get it leak free and forget about it for 8 months....fiddling with it/swapping tanks is where the leaks come from.

I've never had a leak at a hose connection...once built and leak free they seem to stay that way

I would generally agree that bigger is likely better, but there are reasons not to go that route, legitimate reasons.

One is cost. Some of us are in a position where money isn't that dear; I'm an empty-nester, kids out of college, I have resources at my disposal that 15 years ago would not be available.

A lot of brewers here are younger, have kids, and don't have unlimited money. So the encouragement to go larger, 10# or 20#, while sound, may not be fiscally sound.

I have a decent amount of disposable income but I still like spending it was wisely as possible. But I don't follow how the 5lb is more cost effective. The only reason to go 5 would convenience due to the smaller size or space concerns. You will spend more using a 5lb than a 10lb considering cost to fill/exchange is basically the same. Used 10lb tanks can be had online for not much more than used 5lb tanks. You'll make that extra cost up pretty fast with much less frequently you'll be refilling it.

I have a decent amount of disposable income but I still like spending it was wisely as possible. But I don't follow how the 5lb is more cost effective. The only reason to go 5 would convenience due to the smaller size or space concerns. You will spend more using a 5lb than a 10lb considering cost to fill/exchange is basically the same. Used 10lb tanks can be had online for not much more than used 5lb tanks. You'll make that extra cost up pretty fast with much less frequently you'll be refilling it.

New 5# tank: $70

New 10# tank: $100

New 20# tank: $120

These are morebeer prices and free shipping so that's what they cost. My point wasn't that in the long run 5# tanks are cheaper; only if you have a lot of leaks might that be possible.

Rather, whereas you or I can afford a 20# tank, a lot of people have to pinch pennies more than that. And when you see people fidgeting over spending $3 more on one site than another, the price differences are significant. For them. That's all.

New 5# tank: $70

New 10# tank: $100

New 20# tank: $120

These are morebeer prices and free shipping so that's what they cost. My point wasn't that in the long run 5# tanks are cheaper; only if you have a lot of leaks might that be possible.

Rather, whereas you or I can afford a 20# tank, a lot of people have to pinch pennies more than that. And when you see people fidgeting over spending $3 more on one site than another, the price differences are significant. For them. That's all.

Well I'm not going to pursue this anymore because it'll get way off-topic, but if someone really tight on money thinks saving $30 upfront is a better choice than saving $25-30 every fill/exchange in the future then it's no wonder so many people are in terrible financial shape

I agree with the others get a bigger tank if possible. I use a 20 for my general tank, a 10 in my kegerator and a 5 that's never used

I would suggest to look for a place that will fill/exchange the tanks. The welding shop I will be going to does an exchange service, which I did not check up on. I purchased a 10#, and the shop only deals with 5 an 20s. They will refill mine, but sometimes he was saying that I will need to leave for a day or so. He suggested that if I bought a tank from him to go with the 20, just because the exchange was only a few dollars more than the 5#.

If I knew then what I know now... I would of just got a tank from them to make life easier for myself.

I have just started in the kegging, as in I just got my tank filled, bought 3 kegs, which 2 are empty and need cleaning, and one has StarSan and is waiting to be filled, with any luck will happen on Monday.

Get he largest size, much cheaper per Lb of CO2, at least where I get them filled. Just had my 20Lber filled at a local welding shop for $25!!! Street price is $27.50 but I am a welder, among other thing!

In my experience you'll use more CO2 than expected. Stepping up to the next size tank/fill or even 2 times really isn't that much more expensive. Now that I'm using my keezer more and more, next time I need a CO2 refill I'll step up to a larger tank.

Get he largest size, much cheaper per Lb of CO2, at least where I get them filled. Just had my 20Lber filled at a local welding shop for $25!!! Street price is $27.50 but I am a welder, among other thing!

Good deal! I too get my gas at a welding shop. Huge savings. All gas comes from the same tank. The food grade gas must be certified and this is where the expense enters the cost.

I want to thank everyone for the responses. While money is not a huge concern, I want to get the best bang for my buck. Sounds like my next step is to call around and see what the best deal would be. My plan is to have 2 kegs going most of the time and I would have to go downtown to get them filled. Not a big fan of the downtown area.

The plus is I just ordered 2 kegs. So I am on my way.....

Last edited:
Ive got a 20 and a 5. When the 20 gets low, the 5 goes in until I get a chance to refill. It also gices me a loos tank to flush my kegs with co2 at kegging time

20 lbs is the sweet spot here, it costs only a little more to fill than a 5 or 10. Maybe get a 20 and a 5; use the 20 day-to-day, and keep the 5 as a spare?

10 lbs is a good size if you don't care much about the cost to get it filled (since it doesn't need to be filled that often) Takes up much less space than a 20 and lower initial cost.

I got by for many years with a 5 lb tank. I never kept track, but purging and dispensing around a dozen 5 gal kegs sounds about right. I would have preferred a 10 or 20 lb, but 5 lb is a convenient size.

If getting a second tank, keep in mind that a second regulator is needed (which can cost as much as the tank).

I just ordered a reconditioned 15 lb tank and regulator from these guys (around $120 with shipping). It just got here Friday and I need to get it filled, but it looks like a decent tank whit a recent test date. https://beveragelements.com/product-category/gas-cylinders-regulators/co2-cylinders/

I would check around, local homebrew shops, welding shops, wherever you get it filled. I received two free 10lb. tanks years ago, so I just keep exchanging them when they run out. My local HBS though, has exchanges for 20 lb. for $20, that's about $10 less per refill than my 10 lb. tanks run. I barely go through a 10 lb./year though, so I haven't been able to justify the upgrade to two 20 pounders. I just wish I would have known initially, because I probably could have just as easily gotten the 20 pounders for free at the time.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, go as big as you can fit in your space, if your refill rates are compareable and go for 2. It's a real PIA when it decides to go dry on a Saturday afternoon when you have people coming over. The initial cost is kind of a suck, but in the long run, you'll end up making our better by going bigger.

Why? The tanks have standard fittings, and you can move the regulator from one tank to the other. You only need two regulators if you want to use both tanks at the same time.

I guess. I don't see a lot of value in having 2 tanks if you can only use one at a time and you have to swap the regulator back and forth...unless the only reason is to have one as a backup. I got a second tank so I can use the second one for purging and force carbing while the main tank is connected to my kegs. I did get a few sets of quick disconnects so I can swap around the tanks and lines.

I keep 3 tanks, a 20# and 5# CO2, and a 5# beer gas (75/25% nitro/CO2). All my tanks go inside my kegerator when being used so the config is mostly footprint.

What I use depends on what I have on tap. If I have a combo of corny, SB or slim QB sankey, I can fit both the 5#s if I want one on nitro (for example I have a corny of nitro cold brew on and a sankey sixtel on CO2 at the moment). Otherwise, two small flootprint kegs both CO2 I'll use the 20# tank, with the 5# as a reserve.

If I put a half on, I use the 5#, since the 20# won't fit.

If you can fit and afford a 20# tank, do it. The cost of gas is a lot less. I haven't swapped the 20 out in a long time, but it was something like 50% more cost for 400% more gas. I swap out at a welding supply. It's cheaper than the LHBS.

Latest posts

Back