What is your favorite house yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
I will start. My soon to be house yeast is 1968. I plan on using it in everything. Clears beers out well, and creates a rich complex beer. I mainly brew pale ales and IPA's. Also, what beers do you brew with your house strain?

Cheers!

L M A O @ Denny

House strain for lagers is W-34/70.

Haven't picked one for ales, but if I had to pick right now probably 1056/S-05. Experimenting with 1272, 1332, and 1450 right now. Definitely like strains that are (a) clean (b) flocculant (c) attenuative (d) effective at low temperatures.

For ales its safale 05

Wheats is Wyeast American Wheat (1010)...i love me a clean crisp wheat!

Wyeast 1272 -- American Ale II

That badboy has been washed over and over.

Until I can get us05 to actually come out clean tasting (Im thinking it doesnt like 62 as much as it might like 68... Anyway) so at this point:

1. Nottingham dry yeast - fermented at 59 and was shocked at how clean it was, and how it dropped like a rock without cold crashing. I've heard some say it tastes tart at low temps, but the IPA I brewed had its own tartness that would have overshadowed any yeast tartness if it was there at all. Next up for this yeast is a blonde ale that will show just how clean it is.

2. Safale s04 - really like this yeast too, and given how clean it ferments low, also drops like a rock, but then shines at producing British esters at 68ish, this could easily be a house yeast even more then Nottingham. It doesn't attenuate as much as Nottingham, but an increas of corn sugar or a lower mash temp can fix that easily.

Those are my two for now. Also for super British fruitiness, Windsor at 65 is excellent, but doesn't drop clear without cold crashing or Gelatin IME.

Bell's, that I harvested out of last year's run of Hopslam. Have used that in a slew of different brews: pale ale, two DIPAs, a porter, and a brown ale. It's great stuff. Similar to WL051 California V.

I've become partial to WLP028 Edinburgh for ales and 34/70 Dry for lagers.
And WLP380 for wheats, yum!

For all my ales it is Bell's yeast harvested from their Pale Ale. I collect from 3 bottle on Tuesday evening and cold crash Friday night. Saturday night I step it up and add dregs from 3 more bottles. On Sunday (brew day) it will be a full krausen and I rehydrate 1 package of US-05 into it about 45 minutes to an hour before pitching the entire starter. Lag time is 2 hours or less and it ferments hard for 96 hours at 66F, then drops clean and clear. For my Oatmeal Stout I use Irish Ale (either WLP004 or Wyeast 1084).

For all my ales it is Bell's yeast harvested from their Pale Ale. I collect from 3 bottle on Tuesday evening and cold crash Friday night. Saturday night I step it up and add dregs from 3 more bottles. On Sunday (brew day) it will be a full krausen and I rehydrate 1 package of US-05 into it about 45 minutes to an hour before pitching the entire starter. Lag time is 2 hours or less and it ferments hard for 96 hours at 66F, then drops clean and clear. For my Oatmeal Stout I use Irish Ale (either WLP004 or Wyeast 1084).

So every time you brew an ale you go through a 6 pack of Bells Pale for dregs and add a pack of US-05? :confused:

So every time you brew an ale you go through a 6 pack of Bells Pale for dregs and add a pack of US-05? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. Seems a bit overkill/expensive. On the other hand, you have to drink a six pack everytime you brew which is nice. :drunk:

I get the Bell's Pale Ale for the bottles and really don't want to waste the beer or the yeast, so ya know .... its like may as well :D

The US-05 dry yeast is not that costly and I get 80% to 85% attenuation on my ales which have an OG of 1.060 to 1.070 consistently.

I like the way if it ferments out with fast start and good solid fermentation and clean drop out. I may be over pitching but I like the results, tried it as an experiment once, I really liked the results and it works for me so I keep doing it.

I hope I am not breaking some rule or something :drunk: ?

Bells is my favorite yeast as of late. 4 out of my last 6 brews have used it.

Mainly curious on mxing Bells w/ US-05. I would think youd get different results if one yeast had an advantage of quantity, health, and vitality. I would think pitching 2 yeasts would make it difficult to get consistent results. Still it sounds like it's working for you, so props.

My Bells was harvested once from a 6'er of Best Brown. My yeast slant is still first generation (in freezer). But the pale ale and IPA went to gen 3. Then started over again with Irish Red, Porter, and RIS getting to gen 4. It'll be interesting to see how the RIS does with 4th gen yeasties (and see what the alcohol tolerance of this yeast really is).

Maybe in the fall I'll start up a new string of Bells beers (2nd gen with yeast starter). Cool to think all these brews were feremented from yeast from 3 bottles of commercial beer!

So far it's S-05 for me.

Though I have been thinking about trying Nottingham. I kind of really want to brew a Blonde, or something else light, with Notty and call it "Notty Light" :drunk:

beergolf said:
WY 1272 for APA/ IPA's
Wy 1968 for ESBs
WY 3787 or 1214 for Belgians.
WY 3711 for Saisons.

I'll take a page out of your book when I can brew again. Might be a while... :(

I prefer Nottingham. US-05 is a bit dry for me. S-04 is fine at 1.040 but at 1.060+
I go back to Nottingham.

T-58 for Belgians. I haven't use a liquid yeast this year.

Wow, great feedback guys! Anyone else out there care to share? What yeasts continue to impress you?

us-05
Achouffe/550/3522 The leader in the clubhouse
Dupont/565/3724
Lactobacillus Acidophilus

EricCSU said:
WLP007

Ferments fast, dry, and floccs like a ton of bricks.

Eric

007 here too. Love that yeast. Ferments very clean at lower temperatures and forms a nice tight cake.

Back