What is your favorite extract kit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
I'll be headed out of town for a week in a few days and I've been looking at getting a kit to brew when I return. Do any of you have a kit that you regularly go to or have you brewed one that you would recommend?

My issue is that I like almost all styles of beer, so picking just one isn't easy but it is fun reading about each recipe. I find myself leaning toward Brown Ales and IPA's. Thanks!!!

I've made/sampled a few from NB. I like the basic kolsch a heck of a lot. When that particular batch is nearly gone, I wanna convert one to biab, or partial mash at least. Friend made a block party amber that I thought was pretty tasty but very...fizzy. The Irish red ale was pretty great too. I made a Mexican cervaza kit from brewers best that I would definitely make again as well. If I was buying an extract NB kit today, I think I would buy their private rye brown ale, or the innkeeper.
Reminds me, I have a tangerine ravine pale ale kit from them that I still need to whip up. hmmm...

If you like browns, the Brown Moose (Moose Drool clone) from MoreBeer is really good. They sell it as an AG or extract w/ grains kit. Just remember their kits don’t include yeast.
I thought it tasted better than the commercial version.
Sláinte

I've done a lot of kits . The ones that stand out imo were.

Toasted coconut cream ale
Mexican cerveza
Red ale
Orangesicle cream ale
Blueberry Honey ale
Kolsch

This is going to sound weird, but there's a madness to my method...
I buy a Blonde Ale kit from my local shop. their prices are so good that I can't beat them if i were to buy in bulk, not counting the shipping.
anyway. i decided to make a honey blonde, i added a pound at flameout and tasted nothing.
next batch i added two pounds and it was like drinking syrup.
so, i had a memory of a guys asking about adding corn syrup to boost ABV and he was told that it would add the alcohol, but it would dry out his beer. that's when the light went off. so now, i make what i call an Imperial Honey Blonde Bombshell. and it is dangersous.
at the beginning of the boil I add 3/4 cup of corn sugar and then at flamout I add 2 pounds of honey.
the result is a crisp clear blonde with a nice honey finish. it goes down like a session beer.

I know that there are purists that will scoff, but I have not had one person dislike it and many ask me to make batches for them.

Have a great trip and happy brewing

I'll be headed out of town for a week in a few days and I've been looking at getting a kit to brew when I return. Do any of you have a kit that you regularly go to or have you brewed one that you would recommend?

My issue is that I like almost all styles of beer, so picking just one isn't easy but it is fun reading about each recipe. I find myself leaning toward Brown Ales and IPA's. Thanks!!!

Dead Ringer IPA is my go to. You can beat it with a stick and it will still be good.

For brown ales, I really liked Caribou Slobber (another Moose Drool clone) from Northern Brewer. Mine came out pretty low (4.6% ABV) but was still good.

For IPAs, if you are into the whole hazy IPA thing (which I am) I recommend Fruit Bazooka from Northern Brewer. I made it once as the recipe describes and have a second 5 gallon batch fermenting right now. I changed the hops in this one: Simcoe, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic. I have high hopes! It smells great and is already down to a gravity of 1.006 from 1.062 (7.3% ABV). The Tropical IPA yeast from Omega really worked well.

Me too on Dead Ringer and Caribou Slobber ... I've done at least 3 batches of each in extract and all grain and always like them.

I've always heard great things about caribou slobber. Maybe if they have a good sale again sometime, I'll pick one up. I've fallen down a hoppier beer rabbit hole lately, might need a nice malty amber to mix things up a bit.

Oh dear me too I almost like all beer types but just now I am realy, (I mean really) enjoying my “dead ringer IPA)

Last edited:
Right now More Beer's Cali Mountain Ale is my go-to. I have made the beer 3 times and each has been excellent. It comes in about 5.5-6% ABV with good hop flavors. The beer is easy to make. If force carbonated - you'll be enjoying it in 2-3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back