What is your Brewing Pet-Peeve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
Jamil Zainasheff, Chris White

Defines this definition.

In all the articles I've found written by Jamil where he uses the word he spells it "fermenter." So he isn't consistent about it.

EDIT:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1235/MAzym07_YeastStarter.pdf
“After 60 minute boil, strain into fermenter…”

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1249/MJzym06_LateHops.pdf
“…cool and transfer to the fermenter as quickly as possible.”

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
“…huge pile of yeast in the fermenter at the end.”

http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php
“Reduced cold break in the fermenter” & “…rack clear wort to the fermenter and leave…” & “…sending all that cold break into the fermenter and you're going…” & “…you can leave it behind when you transfer to your fermenter.”

i hate subway. i don't want to coach someone on how to make a sandwich- i want to point at the picture or say a number and that's it. extra pickle, hold the mayo whatever- but i want you to meet me at the register with a finished product, without me having to hold your f-ing hand while you do your job. If i were an expert at making sandwiches, i would be the one working at the sandwich shop- not you. this doesn't really have to do with brewing but i really hate subway.

:rockin: i'm laughing so hard over this!

In all the articles I've found written by Jamil where he uses the word he spells it "fermenter." So he isn't consistent about it.

EDIT:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1235/MAzym07_YeastStarter.pdf
“After 60 minute boil, strain into fermenter…”

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1249/MJzym06_LateHops.pdf
“…cool and transfer to the fermenter as quickly as possible.”

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
“…huge pile of yeast in the fermenter at the end.”

http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php
“Reduced cold break in the fermenter” & “…rack clear wort to the fermenter and leave…” & “…sending all that cold break into the fermenter and you're going…” & “…you can leave it behind when you transfer to your fermenter

I petition to change the name fermentor/fermenter to "Yeast feeding/sex/waste holding tank" to avoid further confusion.

Ooh ooh, I've got one! I can't stand it when people refer to Nottingham yeast as "Notty". Really gets under my skin.

More about beer in general... I just went to my first beer comp and I am sick of the preoccupation with overly hopped beers. 4 out of the 5 best in shows were IPAs or DIPAs.

I petition to change the name fermentor/fermenter to "Yeast feeding/sex/waste holding tank" to avoid further confusion.

I fully support this motion. Moved and seconded.

My pet peeve is when you have an itch on the top of your foot and you try to scratch it through your shoe using your other foot and just can't quite get it.

When people insist that sarsan and other commercial sanitation products are necessary when a light mixture of 1/4 bleach and vinegar to 5 gallons works just as well as a no rinse sanitizer.

I fully support this motion. Moved and seconded.

My pet peeve is when you have an itch on the top of your foot and you try to scratch it through your shoe using your other foot and just can't quite get it.

I usually start to stomp on my foot at that point, about 50% success rate

PhelanKA7 said:
More about beer in general... I just went to my first beer comp and I am sick of the preoccupation with overly hopped beers. 4 out of the 5 best in shows were IPAs or DIPAs.

I agree, I know a few beer snobs who seem to think of hoppy beers as the end all of beer drinking ability...as if somehow enjoying a super hoppy IPA makes you better at beer than everyone who doesn't.

LOL, I hate that. They've all got that, "Look at this weirdo taking his shoe off, what a jackass," look on their faces.

Yeah and then the room smell like Big Foots Di@K, and you try to cover up by saying you farted, but they all know, you dont wear clean socks, sigh

I want fermenter and/or fermentor added to firefox's autocorrect dictionary so it'll quit giving me red squigglies.

I think the thing with ESB is that the British yeast and MO malt are what define the style, are they not? A style isn't just a color, gravity, and IBU range, but must have certain characteristics of particular yeasts, base malts, etc. A hefeweizen isn't a hefe if you use US-05 and an ESB is not an ESB if you use it either. I made a Best Bitter, but called it American because it was just a small batch to propagate some US-05 for a few different IPAs. I think my understanding is right, but I'm just a noob, so correct me if I'm wrong.

My pet peeve is adjusting color for color's sake. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the color to be somewhat correlative to the flavor--amber color is from crystal malts or other malty characteristics, not just adding a little de-husked black malt to change the color without affecting the flavor. Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I've seen people trying to make black IPAs that taste like normal IPAs. I want my black beers to taste black--no black pilseners or Black American Light Lagers.

I want fermenter and/or fermentor added to firefox's autocorrect dictionary so it'll quit giving me red squigglies.

I think the thing with ESB is that the British yeast and MO malt are what define the style, are they not? A style isn't just a color, gravity, and IBU range, but must have certain characteristics of particular yeasts, base malts, etc. A hefeweizen isn't a hefe if you use US-05 and an ESB is not an ESB if you use it either. I made a Best Bitter, but called it American because it was just a small batch to propagate some US-05 for a few different IPAs. I think my understanding is right, but I'm just a noob, so correct me if I'm wrong.

My pet peeve is adjusting color for color's sake. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the color to be somewhat correlative to the flavor--amber color is from crystal malts or other malty characteristics, not just adding a little de-husked black malt to change the color without affecting the flavor. Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I've seen people trying to make black IPAs that taste like normal IPAs. I want my black beers to taste black--no black pilseners or Black American Light Lagers.

ESB thing; Not necessarily MO malt, not even all English brewers use it. While I am not a hard-liner on style guidelines or what I consider arbitrary terms, if you were going to get hard-lined on styles the AOB guidelines would be the ones to use IMO. Here is the entry for ESB from the 2012 AOB guidelines-

Extra Special Bitter
Extra special bitter possesses medium to strong hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness. The residual malt and defining sweetness of this richly flavored, full-bodied bitter is more pronounced than in other styles of bitter. It is light amber to copper colored with medium to medium-high bitterness. Mild carbonation traditionally characterizes draft-cask versions, but in bottled versions, a slight increase in carbon dioxide content is acceptable. Fruity-ester character is acceptable in aroma and flavor. Diacetyl (butterscotch character) is acceptable and characteristic when at very low levels. The absence of diacetyl is also acceptable. Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures. English or American hops may be used. (English and American hop character may be specified in subcategories.)
Page 6 of 35
Original Gravity (oPlato) 1.046-1.060 (11.5-14.7 oPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (oPlato) 1.010-1.016 (2.5-4 oPlato) ● Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.8-4.6% (4.8-5.8%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 30-45 ● Color SRM (EBC) 8-14 (16-28 EBC)

Color- I'm with ya on that

But color has been proven to effect how you perceive the flavor.

On a food network show, they were showing how the jello taste testers had to taste everything under a red light to make all the samples look the same. The host claimed he liked the red jello (raspberry or something) then, under the neutral light, his favorite changed and he was dumbfounded when they turned on the regular light and he realized what he thought was one flavor was a different flavor.

It was something along those lines...

The "My first brew, I invented this recipe, can you help me with it?" posts bother me. Thankfully, most people here are much more understanding than me and jump in to help. to my mind, you shouldn't be attempting to create your own recipe until you have some experience of how the whole brewing process works. If it takes a few pages of corrections from experienced brewers then it is no longer your recipe.

This is contrary to the above poster whose pet peeve it is that more people don't come up with their own recipes. To me, it's a matter of waaaay too many beer styles needing brewing. I'm only 14 or so brews in but have only repeated a particular style twice. Maybe when I have run out of new styles to try I'll spend time tweaking up an original recipe.

And +1 to the Subway irritation! They created a sandwich, marketed the heck out of it, complete with nice pictures, and they want me to tell them what to put on it. Look there, that picture, do that.

I maybe alone on this, but it bothers me the way everyone pronounces Vorlauf. I am German though so every time someone butchers the language my ears hurt. Why do people not just say pre-runnings or something?

I'd have to say that it's people that won't do the research and learn just a few fundamentals, brew their first beer over their heads and then ask someone to bail them out over the obvious. I guess I can't handle the laziness of effort.

"I want what I want and I want it NOW"!

Mine is people brewing a big beer and then putting the word imperial in the name.(with the exception of stout) Just because you brewed a high gravity, obscenely hopped, syrupy beer doesn't make it an imperial anything. There are styles not meant to be made "Imperial." (Imperial Mild would not work)
Another is those who try to get every single precious bit of beer out of their fermentor to bottle that they end up with way too much sediment in their finished product. I was at a party one time and there was another home brewer there with some bottles that, no joke, were at least 1/4-1/3 full of sediment.

PhelanKA7 said:

+1 I can't stand overly Hoppy beer. Or shoveling in hops for the sake of shoveling in hops.

Not joining HBT sooner.

My pet peeves would be brewers obsessed with efficiency, and people who ask me if i can brew a clone of their favorite beer, which is usually some sort of factory corn lager crap. I tell them that when I start brewing beer that tastes like that, it'll be time to find a new hobby.

craigger64 said:
my pet peeves would be brewers obsessed with efficiency, and people who ask me if i can brew a clone of their favorite beer, which is usually some sort of factory corn lager crap. I tell them that when i start brewing beer that tastes like that, it'll be time to find a new hobby.

+1

1. People who Keg
2. People who bottle.
3. People who Fly Sparge
4. People who Batch Sparge
5. People who brew in buckets
6. People who brew in Glass
7. People who ....

OMG. I mean people who only think the way to brew is....

Things like: So my first brew ever is a vanilla, pumpkin, cinnamon, chamomile, honey, chocolate, molasses, cherry wheat Czech pilsner. Fermented it for 7 days in a bucket in the closet, next to the laundry basket and cat litter box. Noticed that there were bluish white lily pads floating on top with white tenticles hanging down and bubbly pumpkin chunks. So but from reading the posts on HBT, the lily pads, and chunks are fine. So when siphoning, the auto-siphon fell into the laundry sink where my swmbo washes the dog and the kids when they play in the barn yard. There was some lemmon scented bleach next to the diaper pail. So I dipped the siphon in that. So now the beer is 2 weeks in the bottle. So why does my beer taste like a goat smells? So can it be infected? So or can I rdw and drink my beer? So once the tripletts get bigger can I use the diaper pail for a bottling bucket if I use Star San to clean it?

Mine is; people that think that THEIR way of doing things is the only way it should be done, and belittle others that do things differently. The other thing is the raging beer snobs that bash BMC as the "evil empire", or act like people that do drink it are somehow uneducated, backwards rednecks that don't know what good beer is. Granted, I don't drink stuff from the mega breweries, but I don't bash those that do.

1. People who Keg
2. People who bottle.
3. People who Fly Sparge
4. People who Batch Sparge
5. People who brew in buckets
6. People who brew in Glass
7. People who ....

OMG. I mean people who only think the way to brew is....

HAH. Very funny, I like it...

The "My first brew, I invented this recipe, can you help me with it?" posts bother me. Thankfully, most people here are much more understanding than me and jump in to help. to my mind, you shouldn't be attempting to create your own recipe until you have some experience of how the whole brewing process works. If it takes a few pages of corrections from experienced brewers then it is no longer your recipe.

This is contrary to the above poster whose pet peeve it is that more people don't come up with their own recipes. To me, it's a matter of waaaay too many beer styles needing brewing. I'm only 14 or so brews in but have only repeated a particular style twice. Maybe when I have run out of new styles to try I'll spend time tweaking up an original recipe.

I am a fairly new brewer (although I did a few batches with a roommate decades ago) and I just shake my head when I read some of the things new brewers are putting in their beers. I am concentrating on learning to brew the styles I like and learning about new styles I may want to try one day.

I do, however, think new brewers should be encouraged to work on their own recipes. Using one of the software programs to try and create my own recipes has helped me learn about various base malts, specialty grains, and yeast strains. Once I design a beer, I compare it to other recipes for that style and read up on what ingredients are common to a particular style. Depending on what I learn, I may then tweak my recipe. So far, I am making pretty good beer even if it lacks cherries, peach pits, and anti-fungal powder as ingredients. That said, I am sure enjoying my keg of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde.

What bugs me is when people sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wort pre-boil!! There are lots of videos that show people sanitize their mash tuns, boil kettles, etc.. Don't these people realize that the boil will kill anything and everything we need to be worried about? I think it shows that they aren't thinking but rather just "sanitize everything".

I'm new to homebrewing, so I am probably guilty of most of the pet peeves on here so far.

As a general observation though, I think there are two types of snobs:

1. Beer Snobs (people who ridicule/question BMC drinkers)
2. Hop snobs (People who ridicule/question anything with less than xx IBUs)

I admit, I do consider myself a beer snob, I think most of us are. Hop snobs are like the "Comic Book Guy" of Beer.

Latest posts

Back