what is the smallest pot for all grain 5 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim2akat2

Reaction score
I don't plan on making more than 5 gallon batches as I am the only one in the house who drinks beer. What is the smallest pot I would need to do a full boil for a 5 gallon batch all grain?

I did it with an 8 gallon turkey fryer for a while, but I really had to watch for boil-overs all the time. I now have an 11 gallon SS pot, and I love it.

You initial volume will be over 7 gallons (5-5.5g + 1 gal / hour + grain/trub/hop loss) so an 8-gallon kettle is being topped off. 10 gallon kettle should be ideal for 98% of what you would brew. To brew specialty beers like uber high gravity beers or extended boils you'll want closer to 15 gallons.

Take a gander at Blichmann's sizing guide

It really depends on how high of a gravity beer you want to make and even then, you can always add DME.

I used this 9 gallon pot on the stovetop for a long time and it was great!

If we're just talkin boil kettle, something that can hold at least 6 gallons.

tim2akat2 said:
I don't plan on making more than 5 gallon batches as I am the only one in the house who drinks beer. What is the smallest pot I would need to do a full boil for a 5 gallon batch all grain?

Answer = 8 gallons

It's what I use and I wish I had 10 cause you can't take your eyes off it.

Of corse that's my opinion but it comes from a place of experience.

I us a one that is a little over 4 gallons, only use about 3.5 gallons at most of the capacity, and just add water at the end to make it 5 gallons. SO far everything has worked out just fine. I need to buy a bigger one though, makes everything easier!

I use one of those and it's great. Last two batches have been all grain and started with 6.5 to 7 gallons at the start of the boil, no problem with boil over. But... I still watch it like a hawk anyway. Get a lid, it's really come in handy, I boil on my kitchen stove and I need a lid to get a nice rolling boil, plus it gives me something to cover the wort with while cooling. But then I'm paranoid about keeping the wort sterile.

Latest posts

Back