What is the right Temperature to Dry Hop at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwalesmith

Reaction score
Does it matter what temp I dry hop at? I normally cold crash after fermentation then Dry Hop. Wondering if I am missing anything...comments welcome!

I dry hop at the same temp that it ferments at. Maybe in the primary after fermentation is complete, maybe in the secondary. Depends on what I'm trying to achieve.
I cold crash right before I keg it or after i keg it. Probably doing that wrong myself.

I dry hop a bit warmer than my ferment temp(about 70 for dry hop). I don't know if it's "right", but it's what I do. I figure we are trying to extract oils, and oil doesn't extract well at colder temps. I also use pellet hops which break up and leave a lot of surface area. There again, I don't know if it's right, just my process and I've had good results.

A friend of mine who is a brewmaster, says to dry hop around 68 to 70 degrees, as to utilize the hop oils more effeciently.

A lot of guys dry hop cold too - most often right in the keg. Just takes a bit longer at the cooler temps. Flavor can be somewhat different; not bad, just different.

Re: contamination...not really. I spray my hands & hop bag with sanitizer and try to be quick about it, but I don't do anything to the hops themselves. They're pretty self-sufficient in that regard.

Latest posts

Back