What is the cold break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
I've read a few articles but I'm still confused. I achieved a nice cold break with an ice bath but when I siphon or pour the wort into the fermenter the cold break also goes in. I find it's difficult to prevent the cold break from getting into the fermenter. So I'm not sure what the point of trying to achieve a cold break is... I must be missing something here...

I've read a few articles but I'm still confused. I achieved a nice cold break with an ice bath but when I siphon or pour the wort into the fermenter the cold break also goes in. I find it's difficult to prevent the cold break from getting into the fermenter. So I'm not sure what the point of trying to achieve a cold break is... I must be missing something here...

It can all get poured in the fermenter- and the cold break will still stay coagulated and via gravity compact down at the bottom of the fermenter. It's said to be useful, in that it's nutrition for the yeast. But it won't break up and resuspend in the beer, so you don't have to worry.

It can all get poured in the fermenter- and the cold break will still stay coagulated and via gravity compact down at the bottom of the fermenter. It's said to be useful, in that it's nutrition for the yeast. But it won't break up and resuspend in the beer, so you don't have to worry.

Interesting. I was hoping it would stay coagulated to help improve clarity. This is the first time I've gotten a nice cold break and I think it's because I used whirlfloc. I hope my kolsch is nice and clear (even if I cannot cold crash).

It should be fine. I've been using whirlfloc for quite a while now without cold crashing (although I have the capability to do so now) and my beers drop out fairly clear. I don't particularly give a crap if my beer is pretty, as long as it tastes great I'm happy. If you're bottling or kegging, chilling your beer after packaging (and careful pouring if you bottle, and not jostling the keg after the first couple of pours if you keg) will yield you a nice clear beer anyway unless your goal is a Wit or a Hefe.

Back