What is a good dry yeast for porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
I'll be brewing two porters soon, a Rum-Barrel Porter and a Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Porter.

What would be the one or two top-recommended dry yeasts to use?

Thanks in advance -

Ron

In a couple months I can give you a Muntons opinion...choc vanilla porter fermin right now

But based upon the last 2 brews I’m not sure it’s up to the task...

I'll be brewing two porters soon, a Rum-Barrel Porter and a Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Porter.

What would be the one or two top-recommended dry yeasts to use?

Thanks in advance -

Ron
With what those two beers have going on I doubt that yeast is all that important, but S-04 is pretty good.

I would think a yeast like Nottingham would be good. Also either Windsor or Safale 33, which generally are considered close cousins. These last two are not going to dry out the porter like notty can

I would use T-58. I've used it before in porters and it does a good job unless I try to make an "imperial" porter, then it ends up too sweet. The best porter I've ever made was just over 5.5% ABV and fermented with yeast cultured from a couple of cans of Bell's Oberon.

My top three ideas were Nottingham, SO4 and S33, and I happen to have them on hand.

I also have a few packages of the yeast that Brooklyn Brew Shop includes with its pre-packaged mixes, although I don't know anything about it. it seems fast-acting and clean-fermenting, and in general also seems to leave behind decent hop and malt character.

For now, I have decided to go with S04 for the "Chocolate-Covered Pretzel" porter, and Nottingham for the "Rum Barrell" porter. If that changes, I'll note it here, but in all honesty I doubt that the yeast is the biggest factor here, so either or some other would probably be just fine.

My top three ideas were Nottingham, SO4 and S33, and I happen to have them on hand.

I also have a few packages of the yeast that Brooklyn Brew Shop includes with its pre-packaged mixes, although I don't know anything about it. it seems fast-acting and clean-fermenting, and in general also seems to leave behind decent hop and malt character.

I started using S-33 this year and had 2 batches that had a slight sour note to them, one of which cleaned up with time but the porter still has that sour note 5 months past bottling. I can't prove it was the yeast but .....I've never had that with Nottingham (ferments out to a lower FG) or S-04.

I’d go with Saf-04, it’s got the right attenuation for the style and subtle esters. Nottingham tends to attenuate too much and is a bit boring (neutral).

Back