What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a starter from bottle dregs of a Schneider & Sohn Original Hefe Weizen - Tap7.
20181220_022557.jpeg

No nothing in particular.

I have used filters and they tasted off (plastic-like) until I ran several gallons through them.

It's a simple test, just taste first so you know it's good to go.

I use a rv carbon filter and a food grade hose on a sink faucet. The sink is too low to fit a kettle or mash tun underneath.

You should always run about five gallons through the filter to flush out any charcoal dust and use the white hoses ment for drinking water.

Got a porter wort into the fermenter. Made an accidental honey malt while trying to make brown malt. It's very sweet and honey smelling. Will have to think of something to make with that. Opened my yeast starter today to discover it was highly carbonated in the fridge. It took me a couple of weeks to get the malted barley for my porter batch.

Sanitized 27x22oz and 4x12oz bottles, bottling bucket, tubing and bottle filler in preparation of bottling my Agave Cheer American Amber Ale.

Three weeks in the fermenter have put it in a good mood, and I'll be popping the first test bottle just after the New Year celebrations. I'll bottle it a bit later this afternoon after my assistant gets back to the house.

i'm putting my cleaned yesterday after brewing, and now dry. Mash paddle and sparge tubing away....? and i just had the idea to let the slowly speeding up tempo of the fermenter bubbling, guide my music selection....

Bought grain and Good Belly for SWMBO’s Berliner Weiss. Bottled my Citra-Mosaic AIPA, smells and tastes like grapefruit. Checked carb on my porter and cider; New Year’s Eve will be nice this year!

What is good belly?

It’s an L.Plantarum non-dairy probiotic juice drink that comes in either little shots ~2oz or qt. size. In L.A., they sell it at just about any grocery store, though a Sprouts or Whole Foods will definitely carry it. It creates Lactic Acid to sour the fermentation. I used the shots last time and didn’t get enough sour, so I am going full quart this time for 5G. Last time I pitched the sour culture 3 days before the yeasties. This time, since I am using a larger starter, they go in together. I ferment this in glass, just in case scratches in the plastic fermenter hold microbes despite the sanitizer.

Peace,

Reevesie

BE7A2F5E-CBF3-4451-8DAC-63634497A1D8.jpeg

Brewed a Belma/Amarillo IPA. Only 4.9 gallons into the fermentor...I think I need to up my target to 6 gallons. I hate to have an enjoyable brewing day but be 1/2 gallon short...

Finally made the trip to Home Depot to get the brewstand up and running. Getting its first test run tomorrow morning with a Pliny clone. Left burner isn't great (needs some more tinkering) but the right one burns like hellfire. Also turned the garage and house inside out trying to find my brewing thermometer with no luck....will take my chances with the thermowell on the keggle tomorrow with an old candy thermometer for the mash.
20181222_175905[1].jpg

Checked gravity on my extra strong orange and spice Amber. OG 1.080..1 week into fermentation..did not see 1 bubble for 8 days..I know better but got nerve wrecked and did a gravity check anyway to make sure it had not stalled..fermenting away I'm happy to say! Gravity already down to 1.030. Needs another week in fermenter to finish up. Sample tasted good though

Made a tincture of vodka (actually, 2) with additives for my smoked porter. About 10 peppers (cayenne and habanero) of about 4 Oz's, then another with French oak chips (2ozs). This will be added in 7 days and sit in the primary another 7 days.

Smoked, oaked and peppered... Busy!

Also made a starter of wlp001 for my Christmas beer, an American Barleywine. It will be brewed tomorrow afternoon.

Happy holidays!

Drank copious amounts of my gruit-inspired herbal stout...normally wouldn't post something like that, but was valiantly trying to kick this keg before tomorrow when we have family over and wanted to get something a bit more palatable on tap other than a dark, thick, high abv stout brewed with a multitude of herbs. So, finally - mission accomplished! I also want to properly dig into my bock tomorrow...

Drank an all huel melon beer last night, and loved it, so i just ordered a pound of huell melon and a half pound of citra for my next NEIPA. Will probably be my third batch in 2019.

Dialed the ITC down to hold at 85* since my ferm fridge apparently can't get any higher than that with a heating pad as a heat source in a 30ish degree garage. Wanted to try the Kveik closer to 95 - 100* but I may have to wait until spring or summer for that.

Gonna get some bottles sanitized here shortly to fill with my Holiday ale for gifts. Left my BMBF at the boss' house so will have to improvise by letting out most of the co2 and letting it pour directly from the tap. Did a couple the other night for guys at work and it worked okay although a bit of a mess. Glad this one turned out so well and such a full keg, so I can share and enjoy too. Then have to go get Dad from the memory care home (he has Alzheimers) to go to my sister's house for dinner...yum steaks!

Knocked about 18” off beer lines in my keezer. Been on my beer-do list for 3 years. The beer lines were 15’ long which is a bit much for the average 7cu ft Keezer with 10” collar. Poops are little more snappy now and get better head on poops ....

Hee hee...autocorrect turned poor’s into poops...I left it there for your amusement...cheers!

Back