What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always wanted to try making one of these. Interested to hear how it turns out.
I will post an update later when it's complete! hit my target OG and is looking good so far!
IMG_20181216_180753885.jpeg
IMG_20181216_183553700.jpeg

Moved to secondary and dry-hopped IPA; installed stainless valve and spout on new 10G Home Depot mash tun and checked it for leaks.

Next batch will be the first real AG/BIAB beer!

I could probably google this, but I love the sharing of knowledge on this site: so, what’s a white stout?
You're making a beer that tastes like a Stout would, but has the color of a pale ale /Amber style. you want to give it a creamy mouthfeel to see used flaked oats flaked barley Etc. I'm going to do a tincture of vodka mixed with cacao nibs and some coffee beans in secondary.

Started wondering where TF are my yeasts that I ordered two weeks ago, sent an email to the LHBS at 0:50 last night, received an answer at 0:55 :D

Turns out the order software had shot a byte sideways and left the order in limbo so it never went through to gathering. Should ship today

Anxiously watched Amazon to see if my new propane lines for the brewstand had shipped yet...not coming til Wednesday. Darn it! Then will have to make a run to Home ripoff and get a new ball valve and more fittings, but bound and determined to brew on the damn thing this weekend. It's been nothing but a large space to hang random equipment on and hold the mash tun for over a year now. I'll post a pic when it's ready, but it's solidly built from angle iron with two good burners, heavy duty wheels, and space to mount the chiller and pump(s). Need shields for the burners but that can wait.

When I looked into doing that I found that the insta pot doesn't raise enough pressure to get the wort/jars hot enough to kill botulism. Supposedly it will get to 230 but really needs to get up to 250 to safely kill everything.
I'll take that under advisement.

It's supposedly hits 15psi. I added DME, hopped, boiled, and filled these while very hot. I plan to still refrigerate.

I'm not sure of the botulism risk and how much it differs from fermented beer.

It's your point it's NOT total sterilization or a totally clean starter?

I have stove top pressure cooker too... Didn't think to use that. Hmm.

Brewed a small batch (3 gallons) of the Resilience IPA from the AHA recipe last night, but changed the grain bill based on the malts I had on hand.

Today I dry hopped my American Barleywine that was brewed two months ago. I figured I’ll rack over to a keg with some bourbon soaked oak chips this weekend or next week to age.

When I looked into doing that I found that the insta pot doesn't raise enough pressure to get the wort/jars hot enough to kill botulism. Supposedly it will get to 230 but really needs to get up to 250 to safely kill everything.
Just goofed.... Time to cook was set to 5 hours... When I meant five minutes... LOL

Kegged my Resilience IPA and now have 4 taps ready for the long awaited Holidays. Homebrew, smoked meat and the World Juniors!

Made a makeshift fermentation cooler for my ale because the lager fridge has lagers going in it already. This is actually my recirculating ice water tank with a pump I use for my copper coil to chill my beer. Keeping it at 62 haha just a little bit of ice in each day
IMG_20181217_202637933.jpeg

It's supposedly hits 15psi. I added DME, hopped, boiled, and filled these while very hot. I plan to still refrigerate.

Was concerned about botulism. Wort doesn't have the same acidity level as beer so is basically perfect for growing botulism spores. If you intend to store your jars for long I would be concerned. Short time in refrigerated storage is probably ok. (Tho I'm no expert here, just wanted to call out the risk)

Was concerned about botulism. Wort doesn't have the same acidity level as beer so is basically perfect for growing botulism spores. If you intend to store your jars for long I would be concerned. Short time in refrigerated storage is probably ok. (Tho I'm no expert here, just wanted to call out the risk)

Here is an article at CNET that explains the problem pretty well if you are curious enough to read it.

I use a 20 qt. Presto canner for canning my starter wort. I kind of wish I had gotten a smaller one. But it does the job well.

Tweaked my British Golden Ale recipe for Galaxy hops and picked up supplies at the LHBS. I seem to never be able to leave good-enough alone when it comes to recipes.

Ok, I’ll bite. Why?

I would be drinking from it anyway to see how it does with straight drinking water, but is there something specific to brewing I should be aware of?
No nothing in particular.

I have used filters and they tasted off (plastic-like) until I ran several gallons through them.

It's a simple test, just taste first so you know it's good to go.

I use a rv carbon filter and a food grade hose on a sink faucet. The sink is too low to fit a kettle or mash tun underneath.

Bottled my Berliner Weiss into 32 Belgian bottles. Then moved the corker back to storage and cleaned the fermenters out.

No nothing in particular.

I have used filters and they tasted off (plastic-like) until I ran several gallons through them.

It's a simple test, just taste first so you know it's good to go.

I use a rv carbon filter and a food grade hose on a sink faucet. The sink is too low to fit a kettle or mash tun underneath.

Thank you!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ich Bin Ein
Brewer: Casey Bates
Asst Brewer:
Style: Berliner Weiss
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 12/1 Taste. Barely acidic. Little hint of tart lemon. Malt sweetness is almost gone.
12/19 Strangely lost some pH acidity. Tasted OK.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.49 gal
Post Boil Volume: 8.29 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.65 gal
Estimated OG: 1.030 SG
Estimated Color: 2.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 5.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 91.5 %
Boil Time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
6.50 gal Berlinner Treated Water Water 1 - -
2.50 ml Lactic Acid (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
3 lbs Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 50.0 % 0.23 gal
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 4 41.7 % 0.20 gal
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 8.3 % 0.04 gal
1.00 oz Happys' Hops [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 5.1 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Berliner Weisse Blend (White Labs #WLP630) [50.2 Yeast 7 - -

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 11.70 qt of water at 155.1 F 148.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 6.34 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
Date pH
12/1 4.12
12/19 4.52

Bottled to 32 Belgian Bottles and one 16 oz Berlinner bottle

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a 1.5 / 1.030 DME starter.

Used my temp controlled Conical at 67F for 28 days or so.

It's sour-ish, but not super sour. I think the Lacto in the blend is a tad slow.. Might try the pitch lacto post boil, then sach yeast after it's gotten a bit sour.

Took the FG on a pale ale and put it in the fridge for cold crashing. I'm planning on kegging it tomorrow evening.
Also getting a recipe ready for a Pekko SMaSH that I'll hopefully get to brew Friday or this weekend. I'll have 2 fermenters free after I keg the pale ale so I'm getting antsy!

I cleaned my chugger. I mean I normally run cleaner thru it after a brewday but today I disassembled the pump head and the crap in it made me realize this has to be disassembled after every brewday from this point forward.

Back