What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is deculmed?

cleaning the rootlets off sprouted barley kernels. i do it in front of a box fan and pass it back and forth a dozen times from tote to tote...only takes a minute, so i didn't do too much for beer today :( but i am looking forward to using it in my next beer!)

i guess that's something else i'm doing for beer right now! Dreaming about my next batch! :)

New to the forum... not completely new to brewing or drinking beer. Had a friend over to play pool and help me drink some of all this frickin' beer...gotta make room for more. The third faucet was stuck (again), no big deal, usually opens up after a few oscillations of the tap. Played a few games of pool (I won!) and then went to watch the Dolphins game. My buddy went to take his wife to the airport...went back to get another draft and BOOM!...about 3 gallons of bourbon porter on the floor and the tap whistling from the CO2 escaping. I guess I didn't close the tap. So an hour of vacuuming up beer and mopping and cleaning everything. But the Dolphins won...and despite the loss of beer, I was psyched that I now had room for my next batch in the fermentor. It's almost ready to cold crash. I kinda feel bad that I don't feel bad about the beer loss...that porter wasn't my favorite. A NEIPA awaits...What do you guys do to make room? :)

gain a few inches on my waist! i haven't started mopping the floor with it yet though...lol

hows the room smell? good, bad? :)

When the wife got home...Why does it smell like beer? Explanation ensued...now it smells like fabuloso (cleaning stuff).

fabuloso? but wasn't the smell of the beer magneficento! lol

And i just walked ALL THE WAY to my beer fridge to fill up a glass of beer (damn i need a glycol chiller and crawl under house to install taps at my chair)

Women! Can't live with 'em ... pass the Beer Nuts. LOL

she let him have a pool table!

and i just did this for beer, be brew'in this stuff up probably Wednesday...another 10g's for the tally!

100_0471.JPG

I will take a first hydro reading on my first sour. Hopefully Wednesday/Thursday it will match today's reading and we can bottle it this weekend. Might also have to get together a brew day for the weekend also we will see.

Turned off the stir plate for the Voss Kveik starter, and watched it drop clear in 54 seconds. This strain is already blowing my mind.
The yeast was pitched 18 hours befor this.

Hooked up some quick disconnects that just came. A couple more on order to complete the transition. Better all be here before the weekend, as I plan on brewing!

New to the forum. What do you guys do to make room? :)

Welcome!

Plan A is to brew 5-6 more batches before the holidays before Plan B has a Plan C for me to do...:rolleyes::oops::mad:

I brew and keg any way. I put them in the back room until there's room in the keezer (holds 8 kegs, 1 opening), kegerator (holds 2 kegs, full) or SOFC (3 kegs, currently full with 1 ready to keg and 1 in the primary brewed 5 days ago).

In the winter time I store them in the garage.

If it's a Hefe Weizen I bottle them. I usually make 2 batches and blend them before bottling.

Last edited:
i smoked some pale malt WAY WAY back, was real rough at first but after sitting in the keg/bottles for a couple months turned really smooth and sweet...

And for beer today, i'm drinking it...and STILL having to walk back and forth to the fridge for it. But unfortunately the walk isn't long enough to burn the calories, so i also bought an alarm clock to get up for work tomorrow to burn more calories...

Slowly working on my HERMS HLT

Still slowly working on it.

I don't know what I'm doing.

The coil is a 50 ft er from Home Depot, wrapped around a corny keg; it's 11" tall which is quite high, so I assume some of it will be exposed to air versus in hot water after I mash in. The holes in the keg are close to each other which in hindsight, I regret, but anything else would push the coil up vertically even more. I figure the bottom valve can have it's handle on the side (vertical position) and the valve on the bottom of the HERMS coil can be mounted in normal position. We'll see. When I get time to work on this I rush through it pretty hard. That step bit from Harbor Freight is magical. Where has it been all my life. I should have made the top hole in the keg much wider to fit the coil in easier. The coil will be loaded up so that the inlet/outlet are on the same plane. I'll solder a brace made out of solid strand wire once everything is all fitted up. The coil will probably have to be supported at the bottom but we'll see. I have to ground down the solder as it looks terrible right now. I bought some weldless compression fittings from aliexpress.com a long time ago, they have burrs inside of them but otherwise are nice.

IMG_20180924_221541686.jpg

IMG_20180924_220054366.jpg

i smoked some pale malt WAY WAY back, was real rough at first but after sitting in the keg/bottles for a couple months turned really smooth and sweet...

And for beer today, i'm drinking it...and STILL having to walk back and forth to the fridge for it. But unfortunately the walk isn't long enough to burn the calories, so i also bought an alarm clock to get up for work tomorrow to burn more calories...
I love smokey beer. It's like being a hop head with smoke, NEVER can have too much smoke. Unless you're talking peat.

Bleack. [emoji13]

Peat to me tastes like burn circuit boards.

I love smokey beer. It's like being a hop head with smoke, NEVER can have too much smoke. Unless you're talking peat.

Bleack. [emoji13]

Peat to me tastes like burn circuit boards.

Never tried peat myself....But it makes sense, i don't know who thought up smoking with mud...apparently some people like scotch whiskey though...

funny thing about the smoked beer i made, i was still a tween and tried selling it. sold a twelver for 5 bucks, 10-12 years later working at the grocery i over heard someone talking about it. small town and all i guess, lol

Tasted my first sour and took a gravity yesterday. Today we will do the same and see if rousing the yeast will give me a couple more points or if she is done-done.

First run w my new cooler mash tun. Doing a parti gyle of old ale/ ESB/mild. Will end up if all goes as planned with 11 gallons fermenting this evening.
Transferred my BB Porter to secondary with the Bourbon and oak and rinsed the yeast to use w the old ale and ESB.

Currently brewing a NEIPA. Will be pitching Voss Kveik in about another hour and dry hopping before bed. I also closed loop kegged a batch of Brut Ipa with Peaches fermented through a dang hurricane. Finished at 1.001 and at about 6.8%. Just cleaned the fermenter, and of course drinking a home brewed rye pale ale.

I botteled Christmas Ale - almost 3 weeks after brewing, still very sharp and very strong alcohol. A lot of things that bottle conditioning will take care of :D
I have one 0.3l bottle and I'll taste it around 1st November.

Still slowly working on it.

I don't know what I'm doing.

The coil is a 50 ft er from Home Depot, wrapped around a corny keg; it's 11" tall which is quite high, so I assume some of it will be exposed to air versus in hot water after I mash in. The holes in the keg are close to each other which in hindsight, I regret, but anything else would push the coil up vertically even more. I figure the bottom valve can have it's handle on the side (vertical position) and the valve on the bottom of the HERMS coil can be mounted in normal position. We'll see. When I get time to work on this I rush through it pretty hard. That step bit from Harbor Freight is magical. Where has it been all my life. I should have made the top hole in the keg much wider to fit the coil in easier. The coil will be loaded up so that the inlet/outlet are on the same plane. I'll solder a brace made out of solid strand wire once everything is all fitted up. The coil will probably have to be supported at the bottom but we'll see. I have to ground down the solder as it looks terrible right now. I bought some weldless compression fittings from aliexpress.com a long time ago, they have burrs inside of them but otherwise are nice.

Test fitting. The coil leans over and separates to the unsupported side hence the wire to try to keep it together. More to come, 5 minutes of work at a time.

IMG_20180926_213316543.jpg
IMG_20180926_213325468.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I kicked my saison, freeing up tap space for the brown. Also started a massive yeast starter for the huge braggot I'm going to do this weekend. The yeast was old, so I got 2 packs for the price of one, and want to give it time to propagate and cold crash by Sunday.

Bottled up some chocolate porter and some double ipa for a competition and also drank some.
Also going to be kegging and back sweetening a cider today.

Yesterday cleaned the keg I just kicked and the tap line it was on. Also finished hooking up all the quick disconnects, so I am now totally converted and ready to roll this weekend. Starter showing nice activity, so the yeast was obviously still viable.

I love smokey beer. It's like being a hop head with smoke, NEVER can have too much smoke. Unless you're talking peat. Bleack. [emoji13] Peat to me tastes like burn circuit boards.

Never tried peat myself....But it makes sense, i don't know who thought up smoking with mud...apparently some people like scotch whiskey though...funny thing about the smoked beer i made, i was still a tween and tried selling it. sold a twelver for 5 bucks, 10-12 years later working at the grocery i over heard someone talking about it. small town and all i guess, lol

I've brewed a "Scotch Silly" (Clone Brews, p 63) using peat. Funny thing is, I "rearranged" the storage room a couple of weeks ago and found 8, 4 left. They are at least 10 years old and remind me of a nice Dubbel, except for the peat flavor.

i put wet green malt in the oven at 120f to see if i can get a protein rest in the kernel, instead of having to do it in the mash....i also got a HUGE f'in mash paddle in the mail! thing looks like it's intended for 50 gal batches! :)

Can you use it for canoeing?

holy! fraid all i could paddle with mine is one of these....

and i changed the batteries in my IR thermometer to check the temp of the grain in the oven for beer too.

board_copy.jpg

out of curiosity. what size batches do you do with that?

Last edited:
Just finished the first glass of the IPA I brewed 14 days ago. Got too much gunk in the keg, but second glass looks promising. Tomorrow have to be up at the crack of stupid to go work at the boss' brewery, while there will also replace the brakes on the SUV. And bought a "vape pen" this week to finally get away from cigarettes before trip to Vegas next month to celebrate buying the house we've been living in for the last 12 years. Busy girl!

Started cold-crashing the starter, and did all the usual prep work for brewing tomorrow. Making a super high abv braggot, my strongest homebrewed beverage ever if all goes according to plan; I don't plan to start drinking it for a year.

Test fitting. The coil leans over and separates to the unsupported side hence the wire to try to keep it together. More to come, 5 minutes of work at a time.

View attachment 590017 View attachment 590018

Holy moly thatsa lotta copper! That`d cost a fortune here.

Continuing the everlasting-feeling process of anti-stinking my slimy rot bottles... They come out fine and dandy at the end but holy hell is that a project and a half... Should teach me to rinse after every pour!

I switched my oven to my new 200ohm low temp mode, and added the first half of my sprouted dried barley to kiln....

this batch i tried doing a protein rest in the kernel while it was wet before i dried it....but i think it'd be easier to do it in the mash....To the next batch!

:tank:

Back