What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keg went dry. :(

SO I'M HOOKING UP ANOTHER KEG! :)

But on a even more positive note, the keg went dry with a perfectly filled glass, not a half full one!

Congrats! When I know (or think I know) I'm getting down I tap into a pitcher so it doesn't splatter all over the place.

Your comment made me check mine. I'm down to 9 kegs on tap. :rolleyes: Good thing I have a second SNPA ready to keg in the SOFC...

Oh, what I did for beer? I cleaning and prepped kegs for future brews. 5 are done (washed, dried & pressurized). 7 are washed and drying now. And 4 more are ready for washing. Total: 25 kegs.

Last edited:
Redesigned an Ale recipe, screwed up on the LME and substituted half of that with 3.6 lbs of corn syrup.

This is a thread intended for anyone that does anything related to home brewing. You can post any thing you want as long as it was what you did today. What I did was make a Stout. If you made a chiller, brew pot, ordered hops, ordered grain, brewed a beer, made your first beer, whatever... what did you do for beer today?

Just finished an 11 hour day working for my brewpub boss. We brewed 5bbls today, in his tiny little garage brewery, AND I got the brakes done on my SUV during downtime. Afterwards went to his new taproom to have a pint, and now home relaxing with some truly delicious HB and HBT before getting up tomorrow for an epic housecleaning day before the appraiser shows up on Monday...because we finally bought our house! That we've been living in and renting for 12 years, but it's OURS now.

I switched my oven to my new 200ohm low temp mode, and added the first half of my sprouted dried barley to kiln....

this batch i tried doing a protein rest in the kernel while it was wet before i dried it....but i think it'd be easier to do it in the mash....To the next batch!

:tank:
@Bracconiere,

Have you ever seen this site?

https://brewingbeerthehardway.wordpress.com/category/malt-kilns/

While I don't malt my own barley. I like making my own specialty malts and making psuedo base malts. By that last bit, I'll even lightly roast or toast pale malt to create a Munich or Vienna substitute. In this situation I treat these like specialty malts as they are usually a small percentage of my grist.

Smoking malts being a personal favorite of mine since it also lightly toasts during drying step. Lately, I've been smoking slightly hotter or closer to the heat source to get a small percentage of darkly roasted malts in my smoke batches.

Anyhow Francois Dyment has instructions for these malts;

Acid malt
Amber malt
Biscuit malt
blown malt
Brewer's pitch
Brown malt
Brumalt
Buckwheat
Caramel Khorasan (Kamut)
Caramel malts
Chocolate caramel malt
Corn
Debittered Black Patent Malt
Diastatic Brown Malt
Einkorn Wheat
Emmer
Feed barley
Honey malt
Hulled Barley Malt
Hulless barley
Khorasan (Kamut)
Light Chocolate Malt
Malts made from pale malt
Melanoidin malt
Munich malt
Oat Malt
Pale and pilsner malts
Roasted Barley
Rye Malt
Smoked barley
Sorghum
Special B malt
Spelt
Sweet brown bread malt
un-aerated malt
Uncategorized
Victory malt
Vienna malt
Wind malt

Last edited:
@Bracconiere,

Have you ever seen this site?

https://brewingbeerthehardway.wordpress.com/category/malt-kilns/

Wind malt

yeah, google kicks it to me when i do searches a lot. that site and, that's how i ended up here too.

actually that site is where i got the 150f temp for pale malt. just before a few weeks ago my oven would only go down to 200f, so i was basically brewing beer using munich malt as base malt. which actually was good, but after 2.5 years of drinking it, it's great to finally be able to make something 'different' again! not much you can do with a munich beer! besides just say it's dark. deal with it.

and as far as HARD-CORE stuff like that, that's why i never really got into malting earlier. that kind of stuff is over my head. for sprouting i just give it a 1-2 hour soak in my spare tub, then just a quick 5 min soak for 3 days till it's done, then spread it out on sweater drying racks, have a box fan blowing over it for 1 day. throw it in the oven for 12 hours.

and all my oven mod took was a 200ohm resistor and a toggle switch. with the increased resistance when i set my oven to 270f it's actually 150f inside it...seems to be working...

And for beer today, i siphoned 10g's of amber ale, not dark, :), into two corny kegs and put them in the fridge under co2!

and to parody a rock song...."He never learned to read or write so good, but he could brew a beer, just like pouring the tap!"

yeah, google kicks it to me when i do searches a lot. that site and, that's how i ended up here too.

actually that site is where i got the 150f temp for pale malt. just before a few weeks ago my oven would only go down to 200f, so i was basically brewing beer using munich malt as base malt. which actually was good, but after 2.5 years of drinking it, it's great to finally be able to make something 'different' again! not much you can do with a munich beer! besides just say it's dark. deal with it.

and as far as HARD-CORE stuff like that, that's why i never really got into malting earlier. that kind of stuff is over my head. for sprouting i just give it a 1-2 hour soak in my spare tub, then just a quick 5 min soak for 3 days till it's done, then spread it out on sweater drying racks, have a box fan blowing over it for 1 day. throw it in the oven for 12 hours.

and all my oven mod took was a 200ohm resistor and a toggle switch. with the increased resistance when i set my oven to 270f it's actually 150f inside it...seems to be working...

And for beer today, i siphoned 10g's of amber ale, not dark, :), into two corny kegs and put them in the fridge under co2!

and to parody a rock song...."He never learned to read or write so good, but he could brew a beer, just like pouring the tap!"

That's awesome. Nobody's gonna be playing a violin for you. I wouldn't mind having that problem. Only knowing Munich.

My oven goes down to 170F, it's not low temp challenged. However, I will say I bought an instant pot just to make crystal malt.

Would you post your 200 Ohm oven mod or direct me to the link of how you do it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's awesome. Nobody's gonna be playing a violin for you. I wouldn't mind having that problem. Only knowing Munich.

My oven goes down to 170F, it's not low temp challenged. However, I will say I bought an instant pot just to make crystal malt.

Would you post your 200 Ohm oven mod or direct me to the link of how you do it?

Thanks!

lol, my munich beer was great! dark carmely goodness, then after brewing the same thing for at first 3-4 months, then 2.5 years! it got extremely boring.

My oven mod is simple, i bought some 200ohm resistors off ebay, and a three way toggle switch ( mistakenly got a momentary one at first, had to reorder. if they put the on in brackets (On)-OFF-(on) it's momentary not permenant..) Pulled my oven out, looked for the wires coming out the back from the probe inside, undid the wire nut on one lead, added two lengths of wire put the wire nut back on, then ran the two lengths to the toggle switch, one with a resistor the other without, so i can switch between normal and low. drilled a hole for the switch in the front. mounted. now in low i can my oven to go as low as 95f.

and yeah my oven says it's down to 170f, but it actually gets to 200f....of course nwo when i set it to 170f it only gets to 95f in low mode! Yea! a malt kiln i can actually make and understand!

As far as beer today? does distilling a bad batch because you don't want to abuse alcohol count as 'for beer'? i doped up a bad batch with 10#'s sugar and got it runnin now...

i need to correct that actually three wires, one for the pass back to the oven, or middle terminal on the three way switch...

100_0474.JPG
100_0475.JPG
100_0476.JPG

and behind that back shield there's just a couple of wire nuts connecting the temp probe to the logic board wires. being that all your trying to do is increase the resistance by 200ohm's to lower the temp, just take the wire nut off one. then the lead going to the logic board, connect one wire to go to the middle post on the switch, then two two the other side, one for normal, and the other for the 200ohm resistor.

You can tell i didn't go to the college of education can't you? lol

For beer i also have my second half of base malt kilning, in this very oven. and an ir thermometer confirms the temp on the grain is 150f...

Just took the first sample of my "Belinni" Brut IPA with peaches. Its only at 16 psi (on the way to 21) but it is already tasty. Dry with good peach flavor but very little sweetness.

Brewed the beer part of a braggot; noticeable activity in <2 hours, going through the blow off tube in 5.
Also kegged my brown ale; got nice attenuation.

brewed a belgian tripel. getting up to boil, temp display read 198 degrees so i turned around to mess with some hops. looked back 30 seconds later and the damn kettle was about to boil over, display still read 198 degrees. wtf? jiggled the temp probe wire, display jumped to 211 degrees. so now i got that to deal with...

Holy moly thatsa lotta copper! That`d cost a fortune here.

Continuing the everlasting-feeling process of anti-stinking my slimy rot bottles... They come out fine and dandy at the end but holy hell is that a project and a half... Should teach me to rinse after every pour!

It's just the standard 3/8" coil from Home Depot / Lowes. The fittings were like $1 each with another $6 piece of 3/8" OD. It's been in my basement sitting there for a few years so I don't even think about the cost any more.

226. That`s how many bottles I got. And now every.single.frikkin.last of them are cleaned, shelved and ready to be filled.

Carried one fermenter outside to cold crash til Friday (no fridge big enough)

Found one bottle hiding in the corner of a case that`s been gathering dust on the top shelf for nine months TO THE DAY, to my surprise it was full (and needless to say crystal clear). Tomorrow we feast!

Racked my Moose Drool homage to the keg and set it into cold conditioning.

i put my granola in the oven to 'kiln'...might not sound like something for beer. but with as much as i drink, without the vitamins and minerals my liver would explode! :)

Went to the hardware store for some o-rings, got home assembled the kegs and realized I was still missing a lid o-ring. How on earth did that happen? I mean just where does it disappear to? I know I had 25 complete sets (at one time).

What I did for beer today? I drank 6 year old Hard Lemonade (kegged).

Bought a 50lb sack of barley at the feed store, and will be putting 23lb's of it in my malting tub. Once again starting the week long process of brewing a batch of beer.

I'm also enjoying listening to the last batch gleefully bubbling away, waiting to see if the protein rest helped with clarity.

Bottled IIPA
Bottled "beer" fermented extra runnings with a Kombucha scoby. Went a little long, really sour now. We'll see...
And clean up.

Bottled the rest of the dopple bock, as well as 8 bottles of rye pale ale for comp. Kegged a NEIPA. Cleaned the kegs and the fermenter. Labled all the comp beers. And about to head to the home brew club meeting to pack the entries.

Wow that seems super simple and easy. Wonder if I should do sth similar for the winter...
Yeah it's very easy and you should if you like firing up the smoker in fall. Best beer to drink while smoking meats.

Smoking your own malt is great too. My first clone was with apple. I've done several iterations with different woods. A blend of maple, cherry and hickory give off a very bacon like flavor. After smoking you need to dry the wetted grain. Drying in the oven also gives the malt a Vienna/Munich like taste to the malt besides having an awesome smoke flavor. Read this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

Weyermans beech malt can be bought online too.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/weyermann-smoked-malt

I personally think DIY malt is better.

Smoking your own malt is great too.

I used to work about a mile or so from Weyermann's.

(Many years ago), I brought a 5L mini-keg of Schlenkerla Rauchbier back from Bamberg and took it to a friends retirement party. The "Bacon Beer", as they called it, was a real hit.

Latest posts

Back