What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drank yet another bottle of the Septic Red Eye Ale (Irish Red) and it definitely needs more time to carbonate. Of course, this bottle's been in the fridge for almost a week, and only in the bottle for 10 days, so I'll wait another couple of days and test another bottle Saturday or so at 2 weeks in the bottle.

Kegged my wheat ale last night, assembled my 3 roller grain mill today as I get close to switching to ag BIAB
And today I customized a 5 gallon bucket lid to use as a mount for said mill. Tomorrow I get my ingredients, plus an extra lb of 2 row to run through it to dial in my gap and clean off any residual manufacturing oil

Sanitizing bottles to package my dark mild. May have to scrub a few as I got half from my brother, and they haven't been used for several months.

He is a beer slob...

Racked a wheat beer onto some raspberry puree
20180720_084300.jpeg

Im loving my new LHBS Brewmented in Longmont. I walk in and head into the grain room. I weigh and crush by myself then hand them my phone for my beersmith recipe. Then I walk to the back and sit my bucket of crushed grains down at the bar with me and order a couple really great brews. Thats right, my LHBS has about 10+ beers on tap

So i got a buzz and 20lbs of milled grain for beer today, and its only 2:30

37404782_2132344033680919_5059775433818505216_n.jpg

Took pictures for my brewery in planning in 100+ degree heat. That is for the birds, hiring that in as soon as possible

Last edited:
Ordered 1/2 pound of Citra Hops to try out in a AIPA. Dry Hopped 4oz of Centennial hops in my Centennial AIPA. Picked up my CO2 cylinder that was hydro tested and filled.

Had an unusually cool day for July sa tried a bottle of my bourbon soaked oak aged RIS. It's been in bottles 7 mom and the overpowering bourbon flavor is mellowing and melding nicely!
It was my biggest AG batch to date And did a pari gyle for 15g. 4g RIS, 5g dry stout, 6g session black IPA.

Test bottle #3 of Septic Red Eye Irish Red Ale. Still carbonating, and now there's very malty nose up front and a distinct alcohol heat in the beginning... it tested out at ~7% using OG-FG.

Kegged my first ever NEIPA via closed transfer w/ keg hops. Gravity sample was great, can't wait to really get into it!

I dry hopped a Brut IPA I brewed the other day.

Does working on emptying a keg to put it in count? If so that too.

Not much other than drinking a bit (it's the weekend!) and gloating over the hops inventory I've got right now. Hopefully heading to Oregon Brewers Festival this weekend (if we can find a dog sitter, our usual is going to be out of town) so no brewing for a couple of weeks. Since I've gotten into this hobby Brewfest is a LOT more fun, getting ideas for future brews and trying to figure out the ingredients for the ones we really like. This year it's not so heavy on sours & goses (both yuck for me) so it should be a good one. Fortunately the pipeline is overfull with three full and one almost done keg in the kegerator, and the Strong in the fermentation fridge that will be kegged when we get back. Turned up the controller on that one to see if it will help it finish out, test yesterday had it at 1.020 which seems to be my bogey for the last few brews.

I bottled 5 gallons of a dark mild ale (with 8# of grain in the recipe) that started at 1.042 and ended at 1.009 for a 4.3% abv.

Cracked open a bomber of the Irish red ale that I made for my son's 22nd birthday. His mother's maiden name was Fitzgerald. Very Irish, and very delicious!

9 yr old daughter is home sick today so I might as well brrw! Doing a summer wheat kit but a bit different. Fermenting runnings separately. First gallon runnings will be wheat wine of sorts, second runnings will be fermented w T58 and a bit of black pepper for a pseudo daison, then I'll let the grains sour overnight and sparge/boil tomorrow for a really lite sour w lime. The final runnings might get some dme...

I ordered the vanilla bean I will be adding to the bourbon/oak/espresso tincture I will be adding to the porter I brewed this weekend.

Ordered an empty 5 gallon bourbon barrel! The first beer that will age in it will be an Irish red. Also put a vanilla bean into some bourbon for a porter that I'll bottle soon.

Last edited:
It was yesterday, but it was a day of brewtivities. Brewed a dopple bock, kegged a NEIPA, cleaned the fermenter and refilled it. Kicked a pineapple milkshake ipa keg and cleaned that. And took another sample off my belgian blond(the booze is almost fully mellowed and the banana is rounding out)

Did it yesterday, but:

Put together my new ball valve, installed on kettle, and checked for leaks.
Adjusted gap on my new mill and ran a pound through to check the grind and get rid of any residual manufacturing oil.

Today I will figure out my boil off rate, then just waiting on a CFC to do my first AG!

Made a all grain batch of starter wort and pressure canned it, 21 pints of 1.080 wort, 80 oz of 1.040 wort, and 5 pints of pressure canned RO water.
IMG_1325.jpg

The 1.080 just add a pint jar of sterile water and you have a 1.040 starter. The 1.040 is for rousing older yeast just add water to make a small 1.020 starter.

Took some of the wort and made a 500ml 1.020 starter to wake up some year old Pacman.

Last edited:
Began my starter today for my batch of Da Yooper's pale ale using BRY-97. I wanted to use wlp001 but couldn't locate it amongst my yeast bank. After getting it together I looked again... It was there all along. I overlooked it but the yeast I chose is a good one.

Visited with the owners of Red Gap Brewing in Cisco, Texas! These guys are awesome, as is their beer! If you are ever traveling down I-20 in Texas, be sure and stop in to their tap room!

Bottled some beers from the keg. I love the intertap faucets with the changeable spouts. Swap it out for a ball lock connection and bam!!

Do you have beer bottles with ball-lock posts? I guess I don’t get how having a ball lock connection coming out of the tap spout allows you to fill bottles, but I am interested!

Do you have beer bottles with ball-lock posts? I guess I don’t get how having a ball lock connection coming out of the tap spout allows you to fill bottles, but I am interested!

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

I can keep the keg in the kegerator and not move it which helps reduce foaming. But the beer gun connects to the faucet with the ball lock connection instead of the keg directly.

Those are stock images above but it gives you the idea.

Kicked my scotch ale, so the porter went on immediately. Also the NEIPA is fully carbed and drinking good; has gone over well with those who I've shared it with.

Latest posts

Back