What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped the dry hop last night on the latest iteration of the House IPA, for the first time in a long time just threw the pellets straight into the carboy. Also ramped up the temp controller to 70 to help it come down the last 10 points. And just dropped six 12's into a bucket of hot water and PBW to be ready to bottle the Washington State Fair entries Saturday morning. Damn I'm nervous about that but they all three taste great to me, no matter what scores I get I'll still love them.

Yup yup! Maxing out the ole' cooler with 25lbs and hitting temp. I love it! 1.105 Here we come....
Optimized-20180810_064230_HDR.jpg

I have a nice beach chair for bottling while my wife operates the siphon. Got 38, 16oz bottles of a St. Bernardus Abt. 12 clone (11% ABV). I think having a back-up bottling wand tip or two on standby will be my next tweak (just switch it instead of removing, washing and sanitizing the original mid-bottling)
bottling chair.jpg

Kegged Fresh Squished IPA clone from Midwest. Bought another regulator to add so I can do two different styles, and researched additional equipment.

I posted in a different thread, but thought I'd also post here, since this is a newer thread.

Seeing comments on how dangerous the glass big mouth bubbler has been, but also noting that most of the BMB issues look like they are from 2015 or older. I'm considering the Kegco 7 gallon wide mouth and was hoping someone could provide some actual experience with the Kegco product.

Many of the broken glass carboys are regular small neck carboys, and were dropped. Apparently some were temp changes too fast.

The beverage factory site states "These carboys are made of glass and should be handled with extreme care. We have been able to use both hot and cold liquids in them, but they are not impervious to thermal shock and can shatter when exposed to large, sudden changes in temperature. Use caution."

I'm currently using the small neck carboys and when cleaning after keeping in cooler temperatures I use room temp, followed by warmer temp and then hot at the end with PBW or similar to keep from thermal shock. My concern with the Kegco product wouldn't be the glass, but instead the durability of the seal on the lid. Since this thread is a year old now, I'm hoping someone may have some feedback on this. While the dream is to one day have a stainless conical, that boat hasn't come in yet.

Kegged Fresh Squished IPA clone from Midwest. Bought another regulator to add so I can do two different styles, and researched additional equipment.

I posted in a different thread, but thought I'd also post here, since this is a newer thread.

Seeing comments on how dangerous the glass big mouth bubbler has been, but also noting that most of the BMB issues look like they are from 2015 or older. I'm considering the Kegco 7 gallon wide mouth and was hoping someone could provide some actual experience with the Kegco product.

Many of the broken glass carboys are regular small neck carboys, and were dropped. Apparently some were temp changes too fast.

The beverage factory site states "These carboys are made of glass and should be handled with extreme care. We have been able to use both hot and cold liquids in them, but they are not impervious to thermal shock and can shatter when exposed to large, sudden changes in temperature. Use caution."

I'm currently using the small neck carboys and when cleaning after keeping in cooler temperatures I use room temp, followed by warmer temp and then hot at the end with PBW or similar to keep from thermal shock. My concern with the Kegco product wouldn't be the glass, but instead the durability of the seal on the lid. Since this thread is a year old now, I'm hoping someone may have some feedback on this. While the dream is to one day have a stainless conical, that boat hasn't come in yet.
I havent used the kegco, but glass is glass. I use plastic for the sake of saftey. Fermentasaurus for me, but the plastic big mouth bubbler or better bottles are good too

Formed a red rye ale recipe. First ever rye ale attempt as I am not that fond of its spiciness in the few examples that I have tasted. Also plan on using wy1450 (Denny's Fave 50) for the 1st time also.

I now have 5 recipes to brew in the next couple of months!

Kegged my blonde ale, cleaned the fermenter and a 1 gallon jug I should have cleaned a month ago (nothing nasty growing in it, just the krausen thing was a bear to get off), met a new neighbor and got another mouth to help empty kegs efficiently.

Spent a frantic two hours getting my rarely used printer back up and running to print the entry recipes for the beers I entered in the Fair this year. Dropped them off, patted them gently on the caps and wished them luck (they ARE my babies after all), then hit up Jon's Homebrew to get pilsner malt and some more whirlfloc for today's lager that just mashed in. Also bought myself a fancy hop basket to celebrate 1) entering decent beers in a competition and 2) getting a hefty raise at main job yesterday. Husband is napping and out of the way, good tunes on Pandora, and oldest dog is keeping me company in my woman cave while young dog and cats nap with the man. Tomorrow will keg the latest IPA that I'll take a taste of here this afternoon as well. It's a great weekend to be a homebrewer!!

Entered my first ever homebrew contest a local brewery; judging is next weekend. While it would surely be nice to win or whatever, I brew for myself, and I like the beers I submitted as they are, not that they're perfect but you get the idea...just curious to see how they'll perform.

Entered my first ever homebrew contest a local brewery; judging is next weekend. While it would surely be nice to win or whatever, I brew for myself, and I like the beers I submitted as they are, not that they're perfect but you get the idea...just curious to see how they'll perform.

Good luck man

It's nice to win and get validation, though the feedback win or not is valuable.

Inadvertently jumped into using a ghetto mash tun. I somehow managed to lose my bag for BIAB. Looked everywhere, couldn't find it. A side effect of living on an island surrounded by 3,000 miles of water is that ain't **** getting here quickly. Brew day was either a bust or I figured it out. I get a brew day about every 2 months so I was motivated. Add in that I just learned that the only beer on the entire island that I can drink (100% gluten free) is done. As in "Auf Wiedersehen". What you got is what you got glu-tards of the archipelago.

So I figured it out and made a zapzap mash tun on the back porch and made some damn beer. Thankfully I've lurked on these forums for long enough to have a pretty good idea of what was supposed to happen. I can't say it went smoothly but I have a good feeling about this beer. Its going to be weak for sure, I know that already. But it smelled great, I love the smell of wort in the morning. It looked great too. Surprisingly clear with a beautiful chestnut brown color.

I'll see you in about 4 weeks Mrs. Amber Ale. I haven't seen an oak tree in 9 years but I'm gonna wear that one seater I own and some jeans when I drink you... For about 20 minutes till I get hot then its back to the board shorts.

Removed the ball valve from the output of my chuggar in anticipated delivery of a linear flow control I purchased online. I am looking to gain a more accurate flow rate.

Also tightened my mill gap in an effort to gain a bit more extract from my grist.

Bottled a corn beer experiment yesterday, fresh corn stalks from my garden boiled in a wheat beer wort. Squeeze the snot out of them once they cool a bit...
Transferred a barleywine to secondary. My father in law used to brew but quit 10 or more years ago. He's been hoarding some BW in the basement that never really fermented, the gravity when I checked was still 1078. Dumped the 19 bottles of 10 yr old bw onto a yeast cake and it was 1020 today when I transferred.

Installed new MKII pump; cleaned/sanitized four corny kegs getting ready to keg 10 gallons each of my blonde and nut brown; inventoried to ensure I have all the ingredients to brew my Tropicana Session White IPA; ordered parts to add four more gas connections in my kegerator...

Kegged two batches of beer from a few weeks ago, Kolsch, and AleToberfest. Then cleaned fermentors. Later I’ll weigh out my grain for tomorrow’s brewday.

Bottled my Belgian Golden Ale (Tripel). Looking good, weighed in at 9.1% ABV. Has a nice color, even right now. Primed it with 1.2 Cups of corn sugar. It's a good extract recipe, right out of How to Brew (except that I added an extra half pound of sugar during the boil.

Assembled brewery parts, quick clean, crushed grains, filled up HLT, added my water additions.
Hopefully keg 10 gals of a blonde ale and clean up the fermenter while brewing, ready for this batch.

Attended the judging at the first ever homebrew competition I've ever entered. I always go in with low expectations just because that's how I am, but surprisingly I won big: best IPA, best stout/porter, and best of show for the porter. It was a small local thing with only 4 categories (aside from best in show of course), but to win 60% of the categories blew my mind! Most proud of my porter win, as it's a recipe I've been honing for years.

Today I kegged my Dusseldorf German Alt. The sample tasted malty, bitter, amazingly smooth and dry. Going to lager it for two months and then it should be a real dandy! Can't wait for this one to be ready to tap.

John

Brewed a batch of what should be a pretty dank IPA. Tested and tasted the warm fermented lager from last weekend, diacetyl avoided and it's coming down from its d-rest with an eye to kegging on Wednesday. Now sipping on my American Strong that just blows me away with how good it tastes and looks.

replaced the di resin in my ro/di system. i ran it for a while but damn if the tds readings would not drop. after a few minutes of going bananas, i realized the issue: had the damn canister in upside down. flipped it over and now a glorious 0 ppm tds coming out of the system.

Ramped up my fermentation chamber a degree for the two buckets of saison fermenting away in there.

Racked 5 gal Czech Dark Lager from fermenter to keg to clear up the fermenter for an APA.

Also installed a 10” thermowell from Brewhardware in the lid of my SS Brewbucket. The Brewbucket guys wanted to sell me a shorter one that went thru the side but I preferred to go thru the lid. In fact they tried to talk me into their product and when I insisted they scoffed at me. Oh well, Bobby gets it, makes a great product for a great price, and ships fast. He even fixes my ordering screw ups.

Last edited:
Back