What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegging this beauty this morning...first lager done in the new fermentation fridge. Tastes fantastic, can't wait for it to be carbed up.
20180624_065151[1].jpg

Purchased the raw materials for a batch of Irish Red Ale from my LHBS. Gonna call it Septic Red Eye Ale in honor of a vlogger my brewing partner daughter watches...

Working on emptying 1 more keg before the moving truck gets here on Saturday. 2 will definitely still have beer, but 2 should be kicked by then.

Two things:
1) popped test bottle #2 of my Experiment 626 APA. Still carbonating nicely, good lace in the glass, slightly sweet start, hoppy finish at the back. This one is definitely a keeper!
2) brewed a batch (before the rain started!) of an Irish Red Ale, using Maris Otter and a pound (or two) of local honey, random acts of hops (stuff I had in the fridge including Hallertau and NB for bitterness, Saaz for aroma), and a bag of Wyeast 1084 that smelled just delicious as I poured it into the fermenter.

made a new batch of starsan while sanitizing/purging two kegs, kegging a belgian wit tomorrow. i used my ro/di filter setup to make 5 gallons of essentially distilled water for the starsan. man, what a difference compared to the hard tap water i have been using! i've read that softer water makes better starsan solution but i didn't think it would make such a difference.

Dry hopped the pale ale I made last weekend with Jarrylo hops. So far it seems good. Fruity and a bit sweeter than expected. The S.G. is 1.020 and I hope it drops a to 1.015 or so.

Anxiously watching the clock until it's time to bust out of work and race home, to have a couple pints each of the lager & IPA that I kegged last weekend. Had a small bit of each late last night after getting home from 2nd job, was absolutely blown away by how good both of them turned out. IPA is bright, crisp, and the late Mosaic additions (yes I know there are Mosaic haters out there, thbbbt) really come through well. The lager has a very rich, deep flavor with no "weird" esters I thought I would get from fermenting S-23 warm. Both have some chill haze but I really couldn't care less. First two beers done in the fermentation fridge, can't wait to brew a stout this weekend and really give it the test!!

Measured out some grains, tightened up the rollers on my mill, glared at the lifeless starter I put on the stir plate last night. Maybe tomorrow...

This is a thread intended for anyone that does anything related to home brewing. You can post any thing you want as long as it was what you did today. What I did was make a Stout. If you made a chiller, brew pot, ordered hops, ordered grain, brewed a beer, made your first beer, whatever... what did you do for beer today?
Today I tasted what I brewed 2 weeks ago in a homemade fermenter. I called it "groot" It was close to 10 percent and it tasted like minty cough syrup.
Got the job done after a pint. Tasted good after working on a roof in 96 degree heat.
I started with a 2.5 gallon fermenter.
I added 1 gallon of cold filtered water.
2 cups of brown sugar.
1/3 cup of splenda
Mixed it up.
Added 16 Oz of agave nectar i got from the bargain basket.
20 Oz of honey.
Hop substitutes(bitterant) put inside an old clean sock:(sorry hops are 1million dollars in Cali)
6 Oz of fine chopped rosemary from my garden.(Poor man''s cintra hops)
2oz of fine chopped Mediterranean sage from my garden.(poor man's Dorado hops)
add 1 gallon of warm water.
Mixed it up.
Add 1/2 gallon of cold filtered water.
Get temp down to 83 degrees.
Pitch in 1 tsp of fleischmans yeast (poor man's turbo yeast)
I reckon it wunt great but it was groot.
Homebrew supplies near me are kind of like Cabelas(far and expensive). Luckily I have a big 5 (Food 4 less)

Although once in a blue moon I've won the lotto and bought 20oz of old Dorado for 20$. Not many deals these days,though,I reckon.

Today I tasted what I brewed 2 weeks ago in a homemade fermenter. I called it "groot" It was close to 10 percent and it tasted like minty cough syrup.
Got the job done after a pint. Tasted good after working on a roof in 96 degree heat.
I started with a 2.5 gallon fermenter.
I added 1 gallon of cold filtered water.
2 cups of brown sugar.
1/3 cup of splenda
Mixed it up.
Added 16 Oz of agave nectar i got from the bargain basket.
20 Oz of honey.
Hop substitutes(bitterant) put inside an old clean sock:(sorry hops are 1million dollars in Cali)
6 Oz of fine chopped rosemary from my garden.(Poor man''s cintra hops)
2oz of fine chopped Mediterranean sage from my garden.(poor man's Dorado hops)
add 1 gallon of warm water.
Mixed it up.
Add 1/2 gallon of cold filtered water.
Get temp down to 83 degrees.
Pitch in 1 tsp of fleischmans yeast (poor man's turbo yeast)
I reckon it wunt great but it was groot.
Homebrew supplies near me are kind of like Cabelas(far and expensive). Luckily I have a big 5 (Food 4 less)

Although once in a blue moon I've won the lotto and bought 20oz of old Dorado for 20$. Not many deals these days,though,I reckon.
Buddy, you can get hops online, it's no more expensive in cali than anywhere else. I get mine from morebeer, if your order is more than $59 shipping is free. I order specialty grains and hops for several brews at a time. Amazon has a limited selection as well.

Stopped at the home-brew shop closest to me and picked up some grains and amylase enzyme to brew a brut ipa at some point in the coming weeks

Drew the last of the English Summer Ale into a growler to make space for the American Cream Ale. Kegged that Cream Ale and cold conditioning it. I’ll fine later tonight when it’s ~33*F. That’ll give me Cream Ale and APA on tap — two American beers — for the Forth.

Last edited:
Went shopping this morning and bought the adjuncts for the next three brews. American Strong is mashing now, stout will get brewed tomorrow, and finally bought new fermometers for the carboys. Garage smells great, should be done around 4pm or so. Love my all-alone brew days!

IMG_5577.jpg

3 days of seminar classes at the Homebrew Con and I gained more knowledge of hops, grains, owning an online business, Homebrew equipment, and beer types so I can apply this knowledge to improve my homebrewing.

Picked up a 50# bag of 2 row, got specialty grains and yeast for next two beers, kegged my brown ale, and bottled my red wine (ok, not beer but same business!).

And now sitting by my fire pit enjoying a Vienna and a big ol’ cigar!

It was 105 a few days ago and droppped to 58 today.

Kegged for the 1st time today. It was a simple Irish Stout but the hydro sample tasted awesome. Can't wait to give it a try.

Got up super early to get started on my very first Milk chocolate stout. Waiting on the boil now, going over the recipe and having the first beer of the day. Had a bit too much of it brewing my Strong yesterday and made a rookie mistake, started the burner before the wort hit the keggle. Made a huge SIZZLE as it went in, gonna get some burnt sugar flavor out of it but might be interesting. Keggle bottom didn't look too bad at cleaning time so may not be an issue. Sitting happy in the ferment fridge now, beautiful krausen going and color is spot on. Stout smells great, got high hopes for this one.

I bottled up a batch of strong, smoked ale that I made about a month ago. I normally keg and this was the first time I've bottled in years. Now I remember why. Pain in the a$$. But it felt appropriate for this brew.

Moving day was yesterday, so I took advantage of the keezer being apart. Deep clean on the inside, cleaned the outside as well, changed out all the liquid lines, touched up a gap in the collar seal with foam insulation. Hopefully I'll brew twice this week and throw a batch of cider together, then I'll only have one empty tap.

Just got home from 2nd job to find some beer on the floor in front of the ferment fridge, the strong I brewed yesterday went crazy and popped the blowoff. I can hear the darn thing bubbling with the door closed.

Brewed my first ever attempt at a NEIPA yesterday. Despite mash temp issues due to a faulty thermometer, I hit my target gravity pretty much spot on and it was bubbling away in 3 hours.

Back