What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washed a whole lot of bottles that have been sitting, soaking, or just plain festering for months to years. Then bottled the Chinook IPA from the secondary. FG is good, taste is good, piney, not overly bitter. Also finished off some Rogue Chocolate Stout in the process. Man, bottling is time-consuming, might have to finally jump to kegging some month soon.

Ran 6 miles in the morning to earn my beer for the day:)

Then brewed 10gals of Biermuncher's Centennial Ale. Second time for this recipe. A quick turn beer, it should be ready just in time for a big summer festival in town so I can put a few bottles into the silent auction fundraiser.

Then pulled 5gals of Red's RyePA clone out of cold crash in prep for bottling tomorrow. It still dry-hopping and the aroma is intoxicating.

Ran 6 miles in the morning to earn my beer for the day:)

Then brewed 10gals of Biermuncher's Centennial Ale. Second time for this recipe. A quick turn beer, it should be ready just in time for a big summer festival in town so I can put a few bottles into the silent auction fundraiser.

Then pulled 5gals of Red's RyePA clone out of cold crash in prep for bottling tomorrow. It still dry-hopping and the aroma is intoxicating.

Dumping 10-15 gallons of beer. Well, 10 of it is a vinegar pale ale. This one I may try to save. After I sample it. Does it look infected to you?

1404769923464.jpg

Dumping 10-15 gallons of beer. Well, 10 of it is a vinegar pale ale. This one I may try to save. After I sample it. Does it look infected to you?

Its still good. Don't know how, but it is. I'm bottling it up tomorrow. It was disheartening enough dumping the malt vinegar pale ale. It was unsavable. I think its time to get some new(more) fermenters.

Got my wife to pick up malts to make an IPA this weekend. I'll also start pressure testing a "party" kegging system so I can take my act on the road.

-Cleaned, de-labeled and sanitized 50 bottles
-Bottled 5 gals of Red's Rye PA clone
-Employed several DFH 60-Minutes while supervising bubbling fermentation of 10gals of Biermuncher's Centennial Ale.

Brewed my first Kolsch w/ much help from one of my brew buddies. It's in the lager chamber cooling a bit more before I pitch the yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Specialty grains for my next two beers came today. It took a week longer than it would have from MoreBeer, but it was 18% cheaper...

Finally bottled the White House Honey Ale my friends and I brewed back in March. A lot of personal life got in the way between then and now. I'm hoping to get back into a rhythm.

slapped together a crappy barrel stand out of 2x6 scraps that I had lying about, filled the barrel with some holding solution (citric acid, and potassium metabisulfite)

Could you explain the holding solution? I have a 10g keg I'll be using soon and I need to know how to prepare it properly. I was just going to prep it by washing the inside down with some whiskey.

Finally scrubbed a bunch of bottles. Gotta drink a few ESB's outta the cooler to make some room for the Saison. It's 4 weeks old in bottles today. Gotta wait till 7/15 to start chilling the dampfbier...:tank:

Came home to find that someone had been in my fermentation fridge and dislodged my temp controller prob. My fermenting beer was down to 45F.

Even worse, I had put several bombers in the freezer side, as it normally stays about 45F. Those all froze solid with 6 exploding. That was fun to clean up.

Kegged a saison and a red ale that I made with leftover grain, no real recipe just 100% winging it. The red is good the saison is fantastic!

Bottled my DIPA, delabled another case of bottles, drank a fine sample, bought the ingredients for a bitters, with US Goldings, and made a dent in a Sierra Nevada IPA sampler.

Hope to bottle my Pale Ale today. Have to read up on bottling with alternatives other than corn sugar cause I'm out. Many other things will work including table sugar, just gotta find how much to use on the NB site calculator.

Bottled a hefeweizen, and tried to wash yeast for the first time. I had not quite enough for a full bottle left, so I just HAD to drink it. The beer, not the yeast. Brewing a New Glarus fat squirrel clone this week.

Krausened a stuck ferment of an exceptionally annoying RIS that I'm making. This is the last trick out of my bag of tricks, I've raised the temp, roused with my CO2 wand, and sworn at the thing already, yet it sits at 1.040 and mocks me.

Filled a few bottles from my keg today for a cook out, everyone enjoyed them for sure.

I attended the Midwest (Indiana) Brewers Cup awards ceremony in Indianapolis 1,300 entries. I will say at the risk of offending. There were beers at the tasting tables that should never have left home. May I suggest that when attempting a style, purchase several beers that are considered by professionals (if you must, consult beer advocates) to be "tops" in their field. If your brew tastes nothing like the style dictates, then leave it home. I tasted a Berliner Weisse that was like drinking out of the pickle jar, but not preferable to. I have no clue how he achieved that level of sour without adding straight vinegar or kraut juice. I had a supposed "Rauchbier" and I use the term as loosely as humanly possible because it tasted like dishwater with bologna soaked in it. 1 beer that I could swear was made with Sparge water only, no color, no flavor, no body, blech. All I could think was, wtf. 2 beers where the hops were indescribably "off" as in old, not good, need to pitch in garbage. Of course, thankfully, there were some very good ones. However, considering that there were only a few tasting tables, I just can't wrap my head around what allows your palate to bring out to the public, an obvious epic fail. :confused:

Put away a bunch of bottles on the bottle tree from drinking my hb's. Put some more of the saison in the cooler as well. The dampfbier won't hit the 3 week mark till Tuesday, but I put 4 bottles in the cooler anyway, just to try some.

"Brewed" the Patriot Lager from the Mr. Beer kit I got for $9.99.

I just wanted the LBK with the new spigot for my test batches, and a new spigot plus shipping is more than $9.99. If the beer turns out mediocre as is, I'm not concerned since this is going to be a lime "lager" for my wife. I added 3 oz of corn sugar to lighten it up and dry it out a bit, and I'll be adding the lime juice in a couple days, then lime zest after primary is finished.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I tasted a Berliner Weisse that was like drinking out of the pickle jar, but not preferable to. I have no clue how he achieved that level of sour without adding straight vinegar or kraut juice. I had a supposed "Rauchbier" and I use the term as loosely as humanly possible because it tasted like dishwater with bologna soaked in it.

I must say you have tasted some interesting things in your life!! :p

Sorted out my grain for tomorrow's brew day & swapped out the ice packs in the swamp coolers for my currently fermenting beers.

Racked a strawberry citrus blonde off the strawberries, worked on my future kegerator, and drank some homebrew. Gonna try and get the rust off, but not my first priority. Completely cleaned the gasket and door shelves today as best as possible, reattached the gasket and door, then scraped off some rust, and put in a cup of water with a thermometer in it.

1405306203480.jpg

1405306221171.jpg

Picked up my recipe ingredients for a double batch of JBI BLONDE I'm doing w/ a buddy at our club brew day Saturday.

Came home to find that someone had been in my fermentation fridge and dislodged my temp controller prob. My fermenting beer was down to 45F.

Even worse, I had put several bombers in the freezer side, as it normally stays about 45F. Those all froze solid with 6 exploding. That was fun to clean up.

Someone?

Pretty sure that it was my Sister-in-law. She doesn't work during the summer so my wife pays her to come over once a week and clean. I've only recently converted it to a fermentation chamber so I could see her poking around in there to see if shelves needed wiped down or something.

Saw Beerfest in Providence tickets on groupon for Sunday $25 from 4-7:30 or sum-thing like that... Anyone going?

Back