What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fished! :D

Went fishing in Chesapeake Bay (out of VA Beach) with some friends from work and had a blast. Had to bring cans & drank a bunch of Caldera (Ashland, OR) Pale Ale and Terrapin (Athens, GA) HI-5 IPA. :tank:

Caught a few small cobia & several rays but only one keeper cobia. Good times!

Picked up 2 bags of base malts Thursday. Ordered the specialty malts, hops and yeast for my next 3 batches. Got my fingers crossed to brew next weekend after a 5 month hiatus!

Drank another of my slightly higher ibu galactic falcon ipa just my second AG batch and just winged it with the hops. I now have beersmith and it puts it at 80 ibu 's but the tropical notes from the dry hop make it so juicy. Next batch will b down in the 60 ibu range and this will probably hopefully really shine.

Bottled and labelled Yoopers fizzy yellow beer. Contemplated bottling my sassy red but not sure where the heck I'll put it. Will have to rearrange my beer cupboard. 11 beers in the pipeline. :ban:

Comp's been down a week now. Should be fixed tomorrow so I can get back on my book writing as well. Being bored utterly out of my mind, I took it upon myself to de-label every bottle in the house not intended for my collection. Not to mention, re-arranging half the man cave/brewery to make better use of space. I took some picks along the way to post in a day or two. So, you wanna talk about stir crazy?!...

Took delivery of a 7 cu ft chest freezer, hooked it up to my new BrewBit temperature controller, and enjoyed a fine IPA while testing it out. SO excited to have better fermentation temperature control for ales... and now, LAGERS too! :ban:

I just dumped a total of 8.7 ounces of hops into a 4 gallon batch of DIPA made with mostly pilsner malt. The gravity sample tastes great as it is, although maybe a little boozy (at about 10% abv, that is expected).

This was brewed at a big brew day event at a local bewery and I just dumped in all of the 'left-over' hops from both my batch and my swmbo's batch that didn't get used in the boil.

So, it was:

0.5 oz. Ahtanum
2.5 oz. Exp 429
5.7 oz. Amarillo

Can't wait to bottle this one up next week.

Kegged 5 gallons and bottled the remaining 7. Noticed halfway through the racking that I completely failed to gelatin the batch for clearing. And don't have current resources to cold crash. I'm sure it'll be fine, just a little more dregsy.

Kegged my Hi Nelson! saison designed by Fuzzymittenbrewing after making the hibiscus tea. Cleaned a few carboys and will clean another keg today.

Bottled up a 5 gallon batch of Hop Head Double IPA (Midwest) in 32oz swing tops. It tasted amazing in its flat and unchilled state. I can't wait to try it when it's ready to go.

Paid dearly for the thermal shut down a week ago. But back in black with my own comp finally. Been online almost 20-30 minutes & no fans on yet! :ban: I was so bored senseless for a week I re-arranged one whole end of the man cave/brewery & de-labeled every bottle in the house not nailed down for my collection. Got 6 each of my ESB & Irish red on ice for the 4th. Car's gonna cost a couple grand to get back, fridge compressor went South as well, now son's car goin' South too. But for the moment, I'm happy to be back...so that's something anyway! Drinkin' some lawnmower beers to celebrate bein' back in black...

Got my starter on the stir plate formy brew on Sunday.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404339311.548285.jpg

Left my house this morning in a frenzy to get to work on time and had to leave work after 10 minutes to run home and unplug my fridge I'm using to keep fermenting beer at a cool temp.
When i got home it was at 58 and started to suck in the 1/2 gallon of sanitizer.
Thank god I made it before it reached the end of the blow off tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Made a new starter for this weekend's Columbus/Chinook IPA because the first starter was stinky and something wasn't right. This little change means I'll use 1007 for the IPA instead of my usual 1272 but, hey - I might discover that 1007 is awesome in an IPA. Who knows? But I'm sure it won't suck.

Later on I'll keg my hefeweizen that's ready to go.

Got yelled at by the significant other for buying a 5 cubic foot freezer and themastat to make a fermentation chamber and put it in the guest bedroom.... at least its her beer in it now.

1404409367295.jpg

Holy schlamoley! I made a 2.5 L starter of 1007 last night. Checked it at about 7:00 this a.m. when I left for work and it was a little bubbly, but all looked normal. Came home at about 3:30 (July 3 is a getaway day) and there was a ring that showed it had built a 3" krausen (probably more) and had fallen back in. I had put Fermcap in because I know how crazy this yeast is. All of this happened in less than 9 hours. This yeast is a friggin' beast.

Kegged my hefeweizen and harvested the 3068 for later use. I brewed this batch for some guests who are coming in a couple weeks, so it probably won't last long so, drats, I'll have to brew again.

Volunteered last night with the guys from MadTree Brewing here in Cincinnati on a canning run of psycHOPathy. Man I'm sore but it was a good time.

Today I'm brewing SD_SLIM's Blood Orange Hefe. Mashed in about 30 min ago.

Got a great deal on a 2 year old Bllichmann Top Tier set up with 26 gal HLT, MLT, and brew kettle on three burners. All set with tri-clover connectors, etc. can't wait to brew Sunday. ;)

Hosting a day after Fourth of July party with about 20+ friends to slim down my overstocked beer coolers so I can have room for the beer that I am brewing for my wedding

Kegged my citra pale ale and racked my flanders red to secondary and pitched the bugs and oak chips.

Just ordered my first kit from MoreBeer (Pale Ale). Been ordering from Austin but figured I'd try MB as it's closer to where I am. Cleaning bottles out this morning and can't wait to brew next weekend. Been almost a year since I've brewed anything.

Did my second step on a starter for my Irish Red ale using wlp004, Irish ale yeast. Bought ingredients for the recipe from the LHBS this am. Tomorrow is gonna be awesome!

I brewed up a batch of honey ale. It was a great way to relax on my first day off in 36 days and I start another 20 day run tomorrow. That puts my next day off just in time to bottle.

Gotta clean bottles from drinking my beers over the holiday weekend. The morebeer ESB & Irish red E/SG kits turned out great! Now waiting for the Saison & PM dampfbier to be ready for fridge time.

Helped my buddy make a starter last night and will be going over today to help him brew his first batch. Got the dead ringer extract kit.

Bottled 10 gallons thats been sitting 10 days, 2 of which were cold crashing. Downtown Nutcase brown!

Racked my latest batch of Cottage House Saison to kegs for conditioning. Cleaned the carboys and did a general clean up in my brewery. Also began cleaning up/out my old ferm chamber to get it ready for sale.

Back