What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled my FitShaced IPA. Og at 17plato, fg at 2 Plato (of course I adjusted for temp!!) 7.88% abv. Turned out phenomenal!!

Did a 5 gal

Ferms:
89% 2 row
4% crystal 80
4% victory
4% wheat

Hops:
Warrior 1oz at 60
Amarillo 1 oz at 30
Cascade 1oz at 15
Cascade 1 oz at 5

US05 fermented at 68 degrees about 5 days, let sit in primary for a month.

All grain to glass in less than 30 days.

Also ordered 60 lbs of various goodies from morebeer.com free shipping!!!!!

Watched the airlocks on my Limbo clone bubble.
Gathered another load of grains and hops to boil my first home made recipe attempt. It's going to be a
Nut brown ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I took the advice of many posts that I have read and decided to let my double IPA sit in the primary for at least two weeks, before transferring it to the secondary to dry hop and settle out a bit. Oh, and how could I forget? I also bought a 5 gal carboy as a secondary! Now I am relaxing with a Glacier Brewhouse IPA.

Shared my rice wine, Apfelwein, Caribou Slobber, Double Chocolate Stout, and cascadian dark with some friends of SIL for her birthday.

Scored a new March pump for 24$ on ebay while everyone else was sleeping.

Finally forcing myself to take a break from book writing, editing, etc to bottle my dampfbier today. Had to make some more Starsan first to soak the spigot assembly on the bottling bucket first. Then clean up & back to book stuff.

Picked up everything I need to brew a honey ale. Now I hope I can find time in the next week to brew it!

Well, I'm all in! Finally filled all my bottles for once. Got 54 2/3's bottles of the dampfbier. Now gotta clean up...again. Might just have to press those couple cases of Sam Adam's bottles back into service I've been trying to give away!...Gotta brew more home brew!

Weighing, crushing, mashing, drinking, solving, brewing, pumping, whirlpooling, chilling, drinking, cleaning, rinsing, sanitizing, and inoculating.

Hope I didn't miss anything. :mug:

Northern Brewer was holding my order because they are out of Cascade hops. I called the LHBS, found out they had Cascade. Got NB to deconstruct the recipe kit and drop the Cascade hops while keeping the kit discount. Picked up the hops at the LHBS on the way home. The rest of the ingredients have been shipped from NB. Saturday brew day is still on!

Drank a few pints of my dry stout and finalized the recipe for my sisters birthday party brew
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403672934.610270.jpg

Shared a few bottles with my good buddy while helping him with his sprinkler system.

Last night:
Cleaned all 10 of my kegs as they had gotten dirty during my move.
Filled 3 kegs (Rosemary Rye, Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout).
Gave the brew kettle a thorough cleaning
Cleaned keg taps and lines
Cleaned fermentors from the three brews above.

Picked up a 10 gallon igloo cooler - step one to building my mash tun!

Yesterday I cleaned 6 kegs. One upon opening looked like I left it too long as it has a bit of a waxy looking skin on the remaining liquid in it. A long hot soak in Oxy seems to have made short work of that, Got a prolonged sanitizer soak going now.

Kegging up 20 of the 25 gallons of ready beer tonight. The other 5, which I am not sure if has been infected since this fall (and I have put off doing anything with) is going into bottles.

I cleaned two kegs, one is a root beer keg that I keep for, well root beer. The other was a recent purchase. Racked my chocolate coconut stout into the keg, purged it with some CO2 and it'll sit for at least another month at room temp (with 2 oz of priming sugar) to age just a tad. Will be making another batch of root beer today to carbonate and get back on tap.

I need someone to come help me drink some beer. If I kick this IPA in time I can rack my Hi Nelson! saison into a keg instead of bottle as planned.

Picked up grain for a nut brown ale concoction I'm making saturday and placed an order for a Clangtoberfest brew grain.

Im working now but when I get home I'm sweating a water spigot above my HLT so I don't have to run a hose around the house into the basement.

Bought ingredients for my British pale ale and am making a starter with wlp007 (dry London ale) yeast. Also drinking some steam beer from my pipeline!

Setup for tomorrow's morning session. Hope to be heating 20 gallons by 7am, mashing by 8, and boiling by 9.
Second batch with my new system. 10g of Nut-sak brown ale, my first attempt at a homegrown recipe.

I'm thinking of cracking a few mixed nuts and hanging them in the secondary.

Anyone have experience with nuts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Finally, after 8 agonizing days of working late, I have had the opportunity to get my CO2 tank filled for the very first time. Probably clean the disaster that long work hours has taken the toll on my condo and then be kegging tomorrow. And bottling. Turns out I might need more kegs. I'm not an addict. I haven't even filled them once!

Setup for tomorrow's morning session. Hope to be heating 20 gallons by 7am, mashing by 8, and boiling by 9.
Second batch with my new system. 10g of Nut-sak brown ale, my first attempt at a homegrown recipe.

I'm thinking of cracking a few mixed nuts and hanging them in the secondary.

Anyone have experience with nuts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

We used some organic hazelnut syrup in our Busta NutNut Brown and it worked well. I think we put it in secondary, and only a few oz. Of course, it added sugar, so take that under consideration. If I were doing it again, I might use the syrup as the priming sugar.

Cleaning and setting up gear for tomorrow's brew session with some noob friends. I'm very excited, as is my three year old daughter. :D

Getting my water through the PUR filter now. 10 gallons through a faucet-attached filter = very slow. I need to get a bigger carbon filtration unit.

Just picked up a mini fridge for $25!! Earlier this month it was $40.

Now I can work some lagers! Woop woop!!!

Got about two batches of Sam Adam's bottles de-labeled & cleaned for whoever gets here first done this morning. Cleaned plain bottles. S come & get'em. My computer had the CPU blower/heat sink separate from the CPU, causing thermal shutdown beginning of the week. Taking it to get it fixed in a bit. Fridge took a dump too & forget fixing that. Car repair up to a couple grand just to search for high idle problems. Damn. Still changing the man cave/brewery around to make better use of space. Trying to open it up a little.

Brewday went as planned, ended up with a great smelling nut brown chocolaty deal. Its closer to a stout Im afraid.
We'll see in a few weeks how it turns out.
OG 1.061 and black roasty chocolate.
Very happy with the unfermented sample. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403992752.231448.jpg

I have an aceteldehyde-laden batch of Helles lager, and I've tried everything to fix it, but no luck. But all is not lost! I used that batch to practice with my counterpressure filler, which was a gift and hasn't been used yet. Only got a facefull a couple times.

Later on, I'll make a 1272 starter for the Chinook IPA I'll brew over the 4th weekend.

Had a tough brew day, exacerbated by it being too hot outside. I didn't have my mashout water ready when needed, so the mash went on too long. Then I got more preboil volume than intended because I wasn't paying attention. Then I let the wort boil down too long before adding the first hops. The two errors combined added at least an hour, probably more, to the day. This isn't great when it's the first time sharing the hobby with noob friends. I also somehow lost the US-05, so subbed in an extra Danstar Windsor packet that happened to be in my fridge. This in a session IPA full of citrusy hops... Also my waterproof thermometer decided it's not really waterproof, and one of my hydrometers was broken when I opened the cylinder. Not a great day.

Had a tough brew day, exacerbated by it being too hot outside. I didn't have my mashout water ready when needed, so the mash went on too long. Then I got more preboil volume than intended because I wasn't paying attention. Then I let the wort boil down too long before adding the first hops. The two errors combined added at least an hour, probably more, to the day. This isn't great when it's the first time sharing the hobby with noob friends. I also somehow lost the US-05, so subbed in an extra Danstar Windsor packet that happened to be in my fridge. This in a session IPA full of citrusy hops... Also my waterproof thermometer decided it's not really waterproof, and one of my hydrometers was broken when I opened the cylinder. Not a great day.

Still, a bad day brewing is better than a good day working, amirite?

Back