What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milling grains…hopefully to use tomorrow. If not then…Saturday awaits. Maybe.

Or Sunday.

Yeesh.

View attachment 845235
That’s the same milling setup I use. Same mill, same drill, same plastic bucket. Only difference is, I don’t use a booster seat. 😎

Pulled an FG sample of the Fizzy Yellow Lager I brewed a couple of weeks ago. Finished at 5.5%. Kegging tomorrow.
B4FFDA4C-A09C-4F7E-9322-7AD0636CEAE1.jpeg

That’s the same milling setup I use. Same mill, same drill, same plastic bucket. Only difference is, I don’t use a booster seat. 😎
It’s odd how often those darn things have come in handy. Pretty sure we got them from friends after their kids grew out of them and ours were small enough to use them.

Ours are out of the house now as well, but these things are still around..

I stuck a Taprite 3-body regulator on my garage keezer right before heading to Cancun for my wife's dental implant. It kept leaking down, so I set things up so the kegs were pressurized and the regulator was isolated from it. Using soapy water to detect leaks didn't work well. I figured I would fix things on our return.

Today I did things the right way. I took the regulator, hoses, and disconnects and submerged everything I could in a bowl of water. Tightened everything up, and now I'm hoping for the best. I pressurized the kegs again and shut the shutoffs so the regulator and tank are isolated from them, and I will check the pressure on the gauges later.

I also used my 20-lb CO2 tank and transfer tube for the first time, to replace the gas I lost. Works perfectly. I even remembered to purge the tube.

Just put to bed a Citra/Mosaic IPA that is my very first overnight mash. I ferment this one on Imperial Mangosteeni kveik yeast (because I got it free from my fabulous LHBS, expired but worked great the first time) so it has to be in the house, wrapped up. The fleece blanket I usually use to wrap it is dirty so needed something else. Husband left his puffy columbia jacket with the reflective lining in the room I ferment in, so I thought why the heck not? Zipped it up, and it fits perfectly over the fermonster I have it in. And has the added bonus of being absolutely adorable.View attachment 844786
Necessity is a mother, or so I've heard.

Meanwhile, I've got bottles and tubing in the laundry sink soaking in bleach solution to put my Summer 24 Amber Ale to bed for carbonating. Sadly, I've already had to cut the grass once this season, so I'm behind schedule.

Summer 24 is a bit stronger than I wanted, and I attribute that to better-than-expected attenuation. 7.09% vs the 6% I was shooting for. We'll see how it tastes after I finish bottling, and then again after it carbonates for couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Brew day!
A 2.75 gal stovetop BIAB batch, American IPA. Will be splitting into 2 fermenters for a dank-off: one will be dry hopped with Columbus, the other with Nugget. I've used both before but only in combination with other hops, never isolated.
Cheers.

Attachments

• 20240331_090147.jpg
    20240331_090147.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I didn't do anything exciting today, I upgraded the grain processing system with additional wiring (black cable) for more important stuff. I had to stop early because of the flying dust since the enclosure is located outside and it started to get full of sand.

Attachments

• 20240401_121034.jpg
    20240401_121034.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240401_121035.jpg
    20240401_121035.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I finished my new magnetic stir plate this morning. My old one was kind of janky and the speed control went from zero to "throw the stir bar" with the slightest touch. For the new one I purchased an inexpensive low-voltage speed control (~$5 on Amazon) and used a 4.6v 3v wall wort from my stash of old charging bricks. I don't remember the source for the motor, it's been in my parts stash for a while, but it's not a computer fan like most DIY stir plates seem to be. The wooden disk with the magnets is just a piece of plywood cut with a hole saw and friction fitted on the motor shaft. Stuffed it all into a small wooden cigar box and it works a treat.
IMG_20240402_082549256.jpg

IMG_20240402_082652777.jpg

IMG_20240402_082746854.jpg

*edit: using a 3v power supply, not 4.6. After trying a number of different supplies, I settled on the 3v. Can go full power without throwing the stir bar, and goes more than fast enough for the yeast.

Last edited:
Today I brewed 16 litres of Roosters Yankee Golden Ale
2850g Maris Otter
230g Flaked Maize
50g Acid Malt
50g Carapils
25g Cascade @ 45 & 15 minutes
Kolsch yeast
I was expecting 17 litres and a BHE of 70%. Ended at 15 litres so added another litre. OG was 1048 giving BHE of 77% and a predicted ABV of 5.0% when the original beer is 4.3%.

Recap of the last few days:

Saturday: Group brewday, had a lovely time, my best brewfriend did his very first all-grain brew and did it well. As it was his retirement party, I gifted him my spare 15g HLT so he can keep on with it. I've got a 12g kettle that will do for an HLT when I need it (I mainly do full volume BIAB anyway).

Sunday: Cleaned up the brewery. And tested positive for the covids!!!

Yesterday/Today: Not much for brewing because I am sick as a sick dog. Later if I feel up to it need to dump grain bag from Saturday (ewww, yes I know) and boil out the chiller. Still testing positive so two more days out of work, oh darn.

Totally unplanned brew session, was feeling kinda down so wanted to do sth fun and got all the ingredients at hand plus just washed the entire kit a couple days back, guess I`ll be washing them again tomorrow 😆 Of course had to order more bottles to put it in, oh and caps to close them, oh yea ran out of starsan so a litre bottle of saniclean too 88 and change eur again... They do say if it doesn`t take all your spare time and all your money it`s not a hobby right 😇

Attachments

• d58d3b0c-40f5-4d19-8cfc-62b46fc0ee1e.jpeg
    d58d3b0c-40f5-4d19-8cfc-62b46fc0ee1e.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday I brewed an 8 gal batch of porter to split with my brew buddy. Fermenting it in a Fermzilla so 8 gallons is all I was comfortable putting in it. Over night it is fermenting well using Chico 1056 yeast that has been repitched multiple times.

View attachment 845626

Is that a spunding valve in your blowoff line? Are you not concerned about the possibility of spooge running through it?

Is that a spunding valve in your blowoff line? Are you not concerned about the possibility of spooge running through it?
Yeah it's a spunding valve and no I'm not worried about any back flow. Once fermentation gets to full blown activity I start increasing pressure in the fermenter. That helps prevent back flow plus a sufficient amount of CO2 escapes around the hose going through the bung.

Yeah it's a spunding valve and no I'm not worried about any back flow. Once fermentation gets to full blown activity I start increasing pressure in the fermenter. That helps prevent back flow plus a sufficient amount of CO2 escapes around the hose going through the bung.

By "spooge" I meant blowoff, i.e. stuff on its way to the blowoff vessel.

Brewed my cruo BRU-1 Hazy.

Aside from a bit of a slow sparge, a super easy brew day. Hit my numbers with little effort.

1.071 OG, should finish around 7%

Token 10g of cryo BRU-1 at 30 for bittering.
Big fat 160g (5.6oz) whirlpool, seen below.

PXL-20240403-143354253-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pack each of WHC Saturated and Lallemand Köln.

Another 230g of Cryo BRU-1 for dry hopping split between high krausen and post fermentation.

Should be fun.

@VikeMan oh, I'm keeping an eye on it. This batch is primarily a test to see how far I can push a Fermzilla. I like them and now have two. I like being able to ferment, crash, carb and serve in a single vessel. I understand they advertise that you can do it all in a SS conical but they are simply too clumsy and cumbersome IME.

Yesterday was the first brew day in a while and wanted to try something different. I brewed 3gal of stronger wort (citra & el dorado IPA) that I top upped with some water to get to 5gal. Messed up and forgot to connect the false bottom again and really crammed the pump, RIMS and kettle return. Once that got clear things went OK but got pretty lousy efficiency, planned on 70% got 62%.

Today was a double brew day, 2gal English IPA and I gave the top-up thing another try on a golden ale. Both went well, the golden too well even, planned 62% efficiency and got 72% this time. Remembered to connect the false bottom even.

Day 3 of fermentation for my Cryo BRU-1 NEIPA. Checked on it this morning and it's blowing out of the airlock so quickly set up a blow-off tube into a spare jug if distilled water with a bit of Chemisan in it.

I'll do my first dry hop later today when my wife is back from her appointments and I'm not juggling two kids. 100g BRU-1 at high krausen.

Today being the first day I've actually felt well enough to do something, brewing up another batch of IPA. Just tapped the last one last Friday, but it's been such a great hydration drink this week while I was sick that it's going fast. Had some horrible news on Wednesday; a dear friend, my husband's BFF, was vacationing in Nashville with his wife when he went into renal failure. Passed a little over two hours after they finally had to intubate him. Today's brew is in honor of his memory. Life moves pretty fast, my friends; blink and you'll miss it.

In keeping with the general theme of how this week is going (awful), just tasted the Wit I brewed last Saturday. Apparently something was wrong with the yeast, and I just inadvertently created a sour. Not acetaldehyde, I know what that tastes like; more like sour patch kids but not as strong. Still has a good orange/spicy flavor to it, might just keg it and see if I can stomach it. Or send it to a competition. Or see if my friends will drink it. Anything. This was supposed to augment the slightly weird lager which is all I have left in the kegerator right now, gosh darn it.

In keeping with the general theme of how this week is going (awful), just tasted the Wit I brewed last Saturday. Apparently something was wrong with the yeast, and I just inadvertently created a sour. Not acetaldehyde, I know what that tastes like; more like sour patch kids but not as strong. Still has a good orange/spicy flavor to it, might just keg it and see if I can stomach it. Or send it to a competition. Or see if my friends will drink it. Anything. This was supposed to augment the slightly weird lager which is all I have left in the kegerator right now, gosh darn it.
Stick it in a keg, top it up with some malt extract or light Candi sugar, dose it with Brett and leave it for 6 months. I don't know what you'll get, but it'll be interesting for sure!

The last days I had in my mind to resurrect my "utility muffin beer research kitchen". That gives me the opportunity to do 5l batches instead of 30l.
With the things I learned from reading the HBT over the last few weeks, I had the urge to pull this setup out of the archives and worked a bit on that. So I came up with a simple idea for an insualtion (just glued some stryrofoam pieces together and cut/burned a hole into it in the shape of my bucket, and created a lautering-drainage/BIAB-hybrid-vat for mashing.

To keep things from getting boring, I used the setup for a traditional Münchener Hell (Ha'Psch-Clone) recipe with infusion and decoction (two mash process).
Surprisingly I hit the OG to the point, and now the fermenter went into my fridge. This really allowed a few shortcuts, so that the entire brewing day was not very long in comparison, despite the (relatively) complex mashing process.

And now: only the result has to be right in a few weeks - but I'm already planning a comparative recipe without decoction, just because I can.
1712438194594.png

d8bb31ab-a921-42ed-a0e3-1fac054efb6c.jpeg

Dug this thing out of hibernation. My neighbor gave me this roughly shaped mash ladle years ago for me to finish back when I was brewing the last time round. It's sat ever since but suddenly remembered it the other day and got half a mind to actually finish it. It's made from the same mahogany plank as the guitar I built so it'd be kind of form fitting to finally put it to use.

Latest posts

Back