What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermzilla finally out for delivery today; still can't brew, since I promised my mother I would schlep our lawnmower to her house to mow the front yard. BIL who usually handles it is in Europe with my sister. Hoping it gets here early enough that I can at least unbox it, and play with it a little bit. Pitched yeast in the cream ale I brewed yesterday, took a while to no-chill; wasn't worried about it since it's in a keg.

Generated the recipe for my next summer ale, "Grass Clippings," based on last year's very tasty Lawnmower Ale, but with S-05 yeast and a different hops mix based on Vic Secret for bittering and Saaz and Hallertau for aroma/flavor. Projected ABV 5.5% -- just right for cooling off after a session pushing the mower.

Will likely brew it 2 June.

First thing today I pulverized 24 ounces of various hops (Amarillo, Chinook and Galaxy for one batch, and Citra, El Dorado and Mosaic for the other) and dry hopped 20 gallons of beer at 6 ounces per carboy.

Then ran out and fetched my beer gas cylinder from the local fire extinguisher company after its fresh hydro test and refill and put it back in place. Next, as we kicked the first keg of my latest WCIPA batch last night, I swapped in the other keg, then fired up the Mark IV to clean the kicked keg and another I'd been holding in a fridge.

Wrapped up the chores by cleaning the drip tray on the keezer, then enjoyed a short pour of the WCIPA to clear the tap :)

Cheers!

Forgot to add yesterday’s items:

Started a mead that I’m really excited about. No frills, but used honey from two local apiaries.

Also bottled a Hefeweizen brewed with orange peel and coriander. Trying to stock the pipeline with some crisp summer brews.

Also ordered some more priming sugar for bottling, but that’s not nearly as exciting 🙂

Because I'm an impatient sort, raced home from work to brew a quick Mosaic Smash, that will ferment in the new Fermzilla. Milled grain this morning, so all I had to do when I got home was get the water heating. Smells amazing in here. Been a while since I've done an evening brew; with my work schedule (don't start til 8am) I can stay up a bit later to make sure all cleaning is done. Weather cooled off the last two days so I'm hoping I can at least chill it down to 75.

Hey @seatazzz did you get the Fermzill G3.2? My son's are getting one a father's day gift me me
Not sure which version I have; it's the 6.9g all-rounder, so no yeast-catcher thing on the bottom. I can't fit one of the big ones in my ferment fridge the way I currently have it set up. Quite happy with this one, it's big enough for 5.5g batches and I can ferment under pressure. Here's a pic of it right now; just put it to bed. Fermenting a Mosaic Smash IPA under pressure, the weird-looking thing in the back is my dry-hop bag, secured with magnets.
20230522_193709[1].jpg

Yesterday I checked on a keg that’s been lagering unchecked for months to find it lacking carbonation but tasting pretty good (much improvement from its original state) so didn’t pull out the beer gun yet. Today I packaged a mead I tweaked and in about an hour entries will be delivered a day ahead of the deadline.
45110B06-5D87-4C1E-84BA-C10D0C76CE4C.jpeg

Generated the recipe for my next summer ale, "Grass Clippings," based on last year's very tasty Lawnmower Ale, but with S-05 yeast and a different hops mix based on Vic Secret for bittering and Saaz and Hallertau for aroma/flavor. Projected ABV 5.5% -- just right for cooling off after a session pushing the mower.

Will likely brew it 2 June.
Saaz and Hallertau! My 2 fave hops

Busy day in the brewery. This morning moved the magnets on the Fermzilla to dry hop the Mosaic semi-Smash I brewed on Monday. Then this afternoon transferred the cream ale I brewed last weekend from the fermenting keg to the serving keg. Partially carbonated, much more so than the lager I did two weeks ago; which also just kicked. It was yummy. So tomorrow, since I don't have to go into the office, going to brew another one. For this one I'm going to get 5g in the keg instead of the scant 4.5g I did for the last two fermented in this keg; taking a chance, yes, but it should be fine. Or I'll have krausen all over the floor of the ferment fridge. Whatever, it's going to be fun.

Deep cleaned a keg for a wit I brewed that’s going to a fund raising event. It was given to me and now I see it has 2 liquid posts. I have a spare set, but they aren’t the right size. So now I get to clean another keg or “borrow” a post from another keg. Well, a brewer needs something to do on a long weekend, do they not?

Kegged one of two neipa batches before heading out to a pool party & BBQ (I'll keg the other batch tomorrow).

20230528_120242.jpg

Wanted to show a handy device for purging the transfer line including the racking cane. Simply a gas post to a beer post, plug the former in the CO2 QD and the latter in the beer QD and flow gas for a bit.

20230528_115750.jpg

Cane tip then goes straight into the beer so any head space gas does not end up in the keg. I also snap the transfer QD off the keg at the end before any headspace gas gets pushed into the keg...

Cheers!

Deep cleaned a keg with proper posts and will dump about a gallon of pale ale leftover from the fall of last year from a keg which I’ll clean as well getting double duty from the PBW. Tomorrow I’ll keg that Wit and steal about a six pack for competitions. It’s nearly time to fire up the grill and open a beer.

Kegged my English mild today! Smells and tastes wonderful flat and young. I can't wait to taste it when it's carbed. Also changed out all my o-rings on both kegs posts, interior post o-ring, poppet o-ring, exterior o-ring. I also changed out the o-rings and put new tubing on the Clear Beer floating dip tubes. I bought some 1/4 inch silicone online and have been changing them all out (I have 10 of them). Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend everyone!

John

Today is all about cleaning the brewery; yes I got the garage done the other day, but today so far I've disassembled and cleaned the ball valve and bent diptube on the BK (way overdue to do that, it was nasty), and water is currently heating to boil out the plate chiller. Leftover water will be used to mop the slightly nasty floor. Husband just came out to take the trash cans to the street (I already did it) so now he has no excuse to start his own chores. Have a bet with myself it won't get done today either. I am in the ZONE this weekend, a place I rarely visit.

Bottled my Lion Stout clone. I say "clone" in the loosest sense of the term. The original is over 8%, and mine ended up around 5.5. Overshot volume and undershot OG on brew day. I was aiming for 6.5 - 7%.

Maybe I'll call it "Lion Cub Stout."

But damn, that hydro sample tasted good. No idea if it will end up comparable in flavor, as I haven't seen Lion Stout in stores here for about 10 years.

Tomorrow, I plan to brew 12 gallons of IPA. Gotta use up some of the hops in my freezer. That'll get the summer pipeline filled for a while.

Brewing 5 gallons of " Dobby the house bitter" , was going to brew another lager , a pils version of my " I just cut a big one " lawn mowing beer .... But my son wanted some more Dobby so we are brewing our first batch of beer together .
Yesterday was my birthday ... both of my kids home from college . I'm a happy dad.😁

Because of cleaning and cooking all day Saturday and Sunday for the Sunday Q, Monday I finally got into the garage. Blended the last gallon of Flanders Red (too sour) with the Passionfruit-Guava Cider (oddly tasteless) into something beautiful. Adjusted the temp and CO2 on the kegerator, we'll see if we can get it balanced this week. Kegged the Motueka Pilsner, it is soooo lemony. FG came in lower than expected, probably from the double decoction and the brown rice. Tasted the $20 Moscato wine kit that I dumped 7oz. of whole-leaf Cascade into, and it's grapefruit, so much grapefruit. SWMBO is very happy, so I will be using this technique on some ciders and cheap-@$$ wine kits in the future!

Not much but hopefully today or tomorrow find time to check the gravity on my Blue Moon clone. All I've done for a couple of days is mull around in my head if I should pull the trigger on this Chinese made SS mash tun ??? Or some other shiny piece of brewing equipment I probably don't really need but need to convince the wife I couldn't do without to explain my, in her opinion, criminal use of my money ??? Anybody have this or heard about it ???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530-113019.png
    Screenshot_20230530-113019.png
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 0
Not much but hopefully today or tomorrow find time to check the gravity on my Blue Moon clone. All I've done for a couple of days is mull around in my head if I should pull the trigger on this Chinese made SS mash tun ??? Or some other shiny piece of brewing equipment I probably don't really need but need to convince the wife I couldn't do without to explain my, in her opinion, criminal use of my money ??? Anybody have this or heard about it ???
I think the cost is too high for only 32 qts and being made of plastic. I would just hold off until you can get a vacuum insulated ss mash tun. I caught my Chapman on sale for $160. It was half off on black Friday.
16854634397701210488159062363652.jpg

Or some other shiny piece of brewing equipment
T Murph is on to something there Sean ... the Chapman is shinier 🤪 .
Ya'll don't even want to see my setup ... only shiny I've got is my kettle and it was a cheap one . I did find a killer deal the other day on a SS 40 qt. Bayou classic with valve and basket for 30 bucks shipped so I bought that .
I mash in a bag in an igloo cooler that I found in an old shed ... that's it kettle, igloo , carboy , bottlecapper .:bigmug:

I think the cost is too high for only 32 qts and being made of plastic. I would just hold off until you can get a vacuum insulated ss mash tun. I caught my Chapman on sale for $160. It was half off on black Friday.
View attachment 821244
Wow that is a beautiful piece of equipment! I have two 8 gal Chapman fermenters. The One Brew is SS on inside. But thanks for the info ! No telling in today's economic downturn if the price will ever happen again, you were lucky ! I could wait for another Black Friday cause I don't really need a SS mash tun just a desire 🤣😂. My 10 and 5 gal igloos I made myself work just fine ..but they are not shiny and purdy !!

T Murph is on to something there Sean ... the Chapman is shinier 🤪 .
Ya'll don't even want to see my setup ... only shiny I've got is my kettle and it was a cheap one . I did find a killer deal the other day on a SS 40 qt. Bayou classic with valve and basket for 30 bucks shipped so I bought that .
I mash in a bag in an igloo cooler that I found in an old shed ... that's it kettle, igloo , carboy , bottlecapper .:bigmug:
Yeah ! Shiny and pretty just does something to you doesn't it ?!!! SS brewing equipment is my yellow brick road to Brewing Nirvana 😂🤣. Like when you get your first SS fermenter, you've gone from your 10 year old sedan to your first AWD SUV. Just warmness and fuzziness ! For my 1st 15 years of brewing everything was plastic now it's all SS for 8 years. Except for the mash tuns. It's a deep and dangerous rabbit hole for those of us not on the screw you I'm rich I can buy whatever I want list. So I've gotten my gear a piece here, a piece there over the years.

@tmurph you gotta stop posting pictures of all that beautiful shiny stuff ! I start salivating! It almost sends me into a SS equipment frenzy ! It's like a made in Heaven brewing candy store ! 😂😂
I'm not rich by no means but with over 30 yrs homebrewing and some good old southern ingenuity and salvaging and scraping my set up has come a long way. That and Bidens stimulus checks stimulated me to buy brewing equipment.

i checked my keg lines and tightened the regulator as it was loose. i also bought malt and hops cause i found 10 percent off for memorial day.

tonight after work i will sample my force carbed "hopefully american lager" which i named after i threw together what ever leftover ingredients i had to make a lager. and it has corn in it so hopefully it turns out to be an american lager.

i love beer

Filled two kegs with beer, cleaned four carboys, washed a kicked stout keg and replaced it in the keezer with a fresh stout keg. Noticed the pair of Eva-Dry E-500s desiccators in the keezer were saturated so swapped them for a dry pair and plugged the wet ones in to dry...

20230530_142534.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Brewed today, 12 gallons of IPA. 26 lbs of 2-row, and whatever leftovers I had to toss in (some munich, wheat, a bit of carafa). That 32lbs of grain + water made for a fun BIAB to hoist out. :mad:

Bittered with 8 oz Centennial, and 4 oz Artic (Citra clone) at 10 mins for flavor.

Was aiming for OG of 1.068 and 12 gallons, got 1.070 and 12 gal, so happy. Chilled and racked 6 gallons each into 2 Brew Buckets. Pitched 2 packets US-05 into each. Sitting at 63 in the ferm chamber. Blowoff tubes in place.

I plan to dry hop with Artic/Centennial/Triple Perle the last 4 or 5 days before bottling.

Back