What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed the VonLola Imperial Porter (I think I like the early morning brew thing get done early and still have your day.

Racked the Origami Dip Hop Pale Ale.

Iced the Fesbier for cold fermentation

Wrote the 2023 Christmas Ale Recipe

Tasted the Mourning Dove IPA … best IPA I have ever made hands down .. totally balanced! #winning

Finished the vent and installed utility sink. New house with dedicated brew area. Hopefully give it a run in a few weeks. But can't wait to brew batches in middle of winter in pajamas.

Attachments

• KIMG0716.JPG
    KIMG0716.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Killed the last keg of my Citra/Sabro IPA last night; so since I have nothing better to do tonight (shut up laundry, bed needs changing, kitchen is messy, y'all just be quiet) I'm doing a superfast brewnight to replenish the keg. Had originally planned to brew it this Friday which I have off (my birthday, gonna be 56) but now I can brew a Wit with some yeast procured from a fellow homebrewclub member on that day. This one ferments on Imperial Loki in the house so don't need to chill it down too far, as long as I'm done with everything and in bed by the time husband gets home from work at 10:30 I'm in clover. Feels sneaky; but fun.

I went to the big blue box hardware store for 2 gallon buckets to split the kettle sour that I brewed for a Berliner and a Gose. Ugh, the selection was smaller and was moved. I wanted 2 but they only had one which meant I’d need to transfer or package something that occupied my fermentor buckets on hand. Got it done at least and pitched. Today or tomorrow I’ll be going to LBHS for a couple cases of new tall necks for packaging competition entries.

Oh, and I found out I’ll be having an amazing B-day as the Bluepoint brewery’s cast fest is the same day. All the Long Island clubs will be in attendance brewing that day. Maybe I should brew a chocolate b-day cake stout.

Checked in on my wild/funk projects today. All running bootleg biology cultures. The Funk Weapon 3 blow off smells pineapple like with some nice funky Brett. The Rare Barrel smells awesome, like a great mix culture. But the funk weapon 1 smells absolutely horrendous lol. Worst sulfur/rotten eggs I’ve ever smelt. Hoping that’s just a phase lol has a beautiful pellicle though
F2DD7FF4-B402-4CF6-887A-84E28F86DA3F.jpeg

Yesterday kegged my beers from a couple weeks back, marzen and golden ale. The Marzen came up short on expected attenuation by a few points but had cleared and tasted good. Also brewed a german leichtbier to enter in a contest in October.

Today's beer activities will be watching bubbles and cheering on the yeast.

You must share your cheer with the rest of the group ... including pom pom moves 🤣

No pom poms or elaborate choreography just a very simple eating contest cheer, maybe more of a chant; EAT, EAT, EAT ... .

edit: maybe FART, FART, FART might be more appropriate.

Last edited:
DD79AF3D-8669-4EBA-B2D6-0700A557E307.jpeg
So yesterday this happened somehow the 3 gallon Fermentor cracked on the bottom I guess I must’ve bumped it in the sink while cleaning it. Husband was rather sympathetic about it, so I guess he won’t be surprised when a SS 4 gallon arrives from Delta. Was on sale and shipped for free. I happen to be watching a pod cast from 5 star about passivation. 😀

Figuring out my next move. Have been brewing my summer beers with Voss and Lutra; no off flavors detected in the past few batches. They've tasted pretty good, but seem thin. From the posts I've read on HBT, this 100% consistent with the yeast's rapacious profile. Going to have to mash my warm-weather brews higher to compensate for this.

Attachments

• 20230727_181104.jpg
    20230727_181104.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Had originally planned to brew it this Friday which I have off (my birthday, gonna be 56)

Meanwhile, back in the laundry room, bottles are soaking in preparation for a bottling party this afternoon shortly after the lunch hour. In a week or two, we will celebrate each mow of the lawn with an appropriate libation!

And it's raining.

Had a flow meter suddenly stop working last night so avoided that tap for the evening. This afternoon the diagnosis led to a hop fragment wedging the rotor inside its housing. In going on 10 years that's never happened so I was figuring something more pathological had happened. Very happy it was the hop bit as these SwissFlow SF800 meters are freaky pricey at $90 a pop :oops: now. I bought all 10 mine slightly used (by a tap room) back in 2014 for $20 each...

Cheers!

Bottled my "Beer Hunter " Deer camp brown yesterday👍 , Today I brewed a 1 gallon SMaSH Pilsner and Perle because I've never brewed 100% pilsner nor have I used Perle ....and then I dumped the wort down the drain ( got sink water in it during chilling while I was outside feeding the animals 🤬)
Hope to brew an Alt in the next day or two after I finish up some honeydoos .

Follow up to post 22067 -- bottles are resting happily in dark boxes, yeasties are arousing from their slumber to get gassy and bubble-up my Amber Grains ale, and from the taste test, this will be a very pleasant, fairly-dry-but-a-bit-hoppy refresher to help rehydrate (or at least feel better about it) after mowing the lawn or slaving over a hot grill.

Brewed a Grodziskie yesterday, a higher gravity version (Imperial Grodziskie?). Everything went well, direct-pitched a packet of US-05.

Thirty-some hours later, no activity. I've never failed to have fermentation with US-05 after 18-24 hours. Took a peek in the Brew Bucket. There's usually a thin layer of foam when it's just about to start rockin'. Not this time. Just a smooth surface of wort.

I pitched another packet--rehydrated this time. Hoping it will take off tomorrow.

I had always been one to rehydrate dry yeast, but started doing direct pitch the last couple brews. Didn't have problems doing that with the previous brew. Yesterday's pitch had a Sep 2023 expiration date, but didn't think much about that, since I store yeast in the fridge. Should have been ok. I've successfully used yeast several months beyond the use-by dates. Must've received a dead or nearly dead one this time. My repitch had a Jan 2024 date.

Bottled my Surly Furious clone - Jeffurious - this afternoon during happy hour.

Continued to use the techniques I picked up from members of this site the last few years: direct connect of the bottling wand to my Fermonster's spigot; fill bottles to within ~3/4" of the top of the bottle; individual charge of 1/2 tsp of sugar in each bottle via a small funnel; shot of Private Preserve Wine Preserver under the crown cap before sealing.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20230729_173711.jpg
    20230729_173711.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yesterday took a mini roadtrip out to Naches to one of our favorite breweries, Bron Yr Aur; had a nice flight, a pint, a crowler of their Scottish ale; then off to Morton to visit a tiny bowling alley which has a smokehouse restaurant, that a good friend recommended. They didn't have anything local on tap but I did have a Kona Golden Ale (one of my alltime favorites) and a truly delicious brisket sandwich. Husband went for a Golden Road Mango Cart and a big plate of brisket. Was an absolutely gorgeous day for a long drive, not too hot (except in Naches, at 11am it was already 90°), just a fun day. Today finishes up the birthday weekend by getting cleaning done, then maybe taking the dogs to the park.

Yesterday took a mini roadtrip out to Naches to one of our favorite breweries, Bron Yr Aur; had a nice flight, a pint, a crowler of their Scottish ale; then off to Morton to visit a tiny bowling alley which has a smokehouse restaurant, that a good friend recommended. They didn't have anything local on tap but I did have a Kona Golden Ale (one of my alltime favorites) and a truly delicious brisket sandwich. Husband went for a Golden Road Mango Cart and a big plate of brisket. Was an absolutely gorgeous day for a long drive, not too hot (except in Naches, at 11am it was already 90°), just a fun day. Today finishes up the birthday weekend by getting cleaning done, then maybe taking the dogs to the park.
I have made a few days trips to Morton, but no beer or BBQ was there for the fish. My uncle lived just out of town and a short walk to the river or crick as my dad would call it.

Kegged Origami Pale Ale, this was a dip hopped kit beer. It has mellowed a bunch in the past week. Had enough to bottle an additional 6 Pack for natural carbonation.

Racked the VonLola Imperial Stout on to the oak and bourbon, in 4 days I’ll add the vanilla.

Cleaned the fermenter to get it ready for the Warbler Sugar Wheat

Took a gravity of the Flamingo Festbier, will most likely keg and start lagering it by Wednesday.

Last edited:
Sent texts to “tasting team” to see who was up for full bottles for empties. Several were out so I started bottling (tapcooler) and kicked the APA and English IPA kegs, I need to add flow meters to Raspberry Pints setup. Pick ups completed, empties run through bottle washer and now to brew! Happens all the time, 2weeks ago I’m wondering what I’m going to do with all this beer, now I need to get brewing. great Hobby!!

Attachments

• IMG_0644.png
    IMG_0644.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Back