What Hops to Grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I'm planning on building a garden for next spring (new house) and I'm thinking of starting a few bines of hops. My dad has Cascade and would probably be willing to give me a rhizome. Should I concentrate on Cascade, plant another variety, or do some combination of the two?

I went through about 75 recipes of the beers I make, made a check markon each variety that was used...

I ended up with:
2 cascade
US golding
Willamettte
Centenial
2 chinook

I like pale s, ipa, amber, stout and porters

I would stick to varieties you plan on using a lot in late additions or dry hopping. You should probably be able to find more varieties that fit this guideline than you have room to plant.

Location is important! Cascades grow pretty well anywhere, but some varieties (like German varieties) need a cooler climate to grow well. I have hallertauer that is going rampant, as is the cascade. The chinook is doing great, and the centennial is doing "ok". The willamette is barely surviving, as are the Northern Brewer and goldings.

If you're in a cool climate, the UK and German hops would do very well but if you're in a warmer climate, the US varieties might do better.

check out the first link in my signature - that doc should be useful to you.

definitely heed the advice of growing what you'll use. don't bother with german/noble hops if you rarely brew german (or belgian) beers.

ask growers in your area what works well for them. do a search on this forum for your state/province/region and see what folks have said grows well.

Latest posts

Back