What happens when the brother/GF takes over...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutus09

Reaction score
I brewed an APA/Amber focusing on Nelson Sauvin hops this past weekend. I left for a month and had my GF/brother in charge of swapping out the ice jugs for my "son of the fermentation chiller". My GF said she forgot to swap them out this morning and when she did today the temp was at 80 degrees F. I have the chiller set at 69 degrees. Anyways, I was just curious for some input from people who have used WLP001 before. Would 12 hours or so at this temp produce a lot of off-flavors?

How many days was the beer at the correct temp? If you brewed on Saturday and it was correct for the 1st 4 days, you're probably fine.

As far as flavors from 001 fermented too warm, I've noticed peach esters from both too hot and too cold....

Yer Girlfriend is also your brother? This is most confusing for me...

Oh hey, hi there. I wouldn't worry about your beer. Only the first few days of active fermentation really matter IMO.

- M

p.s. I'd be pretty grateful if anyone even looked at my beer for a month - much less agreed to swap ice bottles in the fermentarium every day! :mug:
"Good job girl-brother-friend" - is that like cat-dog I wonder, maybe hot-cold water-steam? ah, nevermind.

Haha.. no man. My brother and I lived together and my GF moved in with us. So they (separate entities) live in my apt. I brewed on Sunday. So it was at the correct temp for Monday and Tuesday. Really hoping this didn't eff things up, as I am looking forward to this brew.

Yeah, I do appreciate there help but then again they also get to drink as much as the want when it's finished.

I wouldn't be worried at all.

And I've also noticed fruity esters from fermenting too hot with that strain, I don't know if I got peach it was sort of a fruity taste but i couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. The beer (a pale ale) fermented for like two weeks at around 77-78 while i was away (affording the electric bill is more important then the beer) and actually ended up quite tasty

I'd be more worried about leaving my girlfriend and brother together in an apt for a month while I was out of town than the beer.

Latest posts

Back