What do you pay for 50 lbs. 2 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I am wanting to buy some bulk grain. Morebeer has 50 lbs for $32 which seems like a great price, but it costs $22 to get it to Utah. The homebrew store in SLC sells 50 lbs for 48.50 and I wil be in town anyway in a few weeks. Is this a decent price? Any other options out there?

We did a bulk buy in Feb and 2-row was $28 shipped. :rockin:

Me too. :D Imported German malts were $35 a bag shipped.

MaltLoad2008b.jpg

Just going AG and found a great supplier in the Portland area. It was $33 a bag. You have to make an appointment and go pick it up but it was worth it to get a good price. I have only purchased once from them but will be back. http://brewbrothers.biz/ has a list of what they sell and the prices, that is how I found them.

I would swing by Wasatch Brewing and ask if they would sell a few bags of grain. It never hurts to ask.

Just went to North Country Malt on Friday... ~$33 for Pale Ale Malt, ~$35 for Vienna & Munich and ~$39 for Thos. Fawcett Maris Otter.

Interestingly Malteries Franco Belges malts from France were cheaper than Canadian CMC by about a buck a bag

I'm in the unfortunate position of have a bunch of freakin' thieves at the brew store in Nashville. They want over $100 for 50 lb. of American 2 row, so I have to order from Midwest. $45-$50 for 50 lbs., which is great, but $25 to ship. So needless to say, I'm screwed either way. NOTICE TO ALL CLARKSVILLE HOMEBREWERS: If you would like to go in on some grains to cut costs, I'm game.

$62 for the 25kg (55#) bag of Munton's Marris Otter at the LHBS. I figured that was a pretty good price considering the cost of shipping and the size of the store.

Craig

Me too. :D Imported German malts were $35 a bag shipped.

MaltLoad2008b.jpg

Hey Ed. I'm beginning to wonder about you. All that grain, all those little green eggs, all that apfelwein. Are you running one of those Texas cult compounds?

Home Brew Mart is $0.65 a pound if you by 50# ($32.50). You can even buy it on a gift certificate and go get it as you need it. They will typically run it through their brewery mill for free if you want.
Since they are a brewery also (Ballast Point) they just feed the supply off their silo.

Gentleman, this is the target. We know that it makes frequent deliveries to a Texas stronghold at regular intervals. The truck is heavily guarded. All that is left for this heist to work is we will need a driver for the getaway van, a buxom lass to distract the truck driver, and several tear gas grenades to smoke out the guards in the back. Good luck gentlemen, we're all counting on you.

What is the HB store? I would drive up to Marion for that.

Gentiles in Grandview has Briess 2 row for $50 a bag.. or at least it was a week or 2 ago... There are 2 options in town... Winemaker's guild will order it for you too.. Not sure on their prices though...

Most generic 2 Row is still going fairly cheap, but any well known malt has almost doubled since last year and the projection is it will continue to rise. :(

And to make this a fair comparison, shipping costs should be included unless you get it local.

Back