Grain prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen shops sell full sacks on an account system where you buy the full volume for less than the per pound price but you can collect volumes as you need it until the "sack" runs out and you buy another sack. That's a good way to balance enticing customers to come in the shop more often but not lose the bulk purchasers as customers. It's a reasonable deal for both customer and store.

Sounds like a good idea.
You just have to hope that the shop stays in business long enough for you to use up your sack.

The prices I was showing are from last year.
It's already 10 to 20% more expensive 2 months later.

Sounds like a good idea.
You just have to hope that the shop stays in business long enough for you to use up your sack.

The prices I was showing are from last year.
It's already 10 to 20% more expensive 2 months later.

Fasten your seat belt, it's going to go up more. Glad we are stocked up. We have at least a 6 to 9 month supply in the grain room.

Ditto on the local maltster. Mine is still a 2-hour drive, so I've only been out there to pick up grain (5 bags) once, but I happily pay for shipping in order to get a product that's unlike anything else out there.

I have to admit my approach to grain is almost a collector's. I just like to have a lot of different malts available so I can make pretty much anything I want on the fly. Have spent a fortune on Vittles Vaults...

I heard that malting-grade Barley prices are expected to rise this year because of bad harvests, climate, plague and whatever else. Moreover, some think it likely that the wide choise we've used to as homebrewers could start to shrink because of the competition from the Big Guys.
I'm on a tight brewing budget, so I'm HOARDING now.
In the worst case, I'll just have a load of not ideally fresh malt. Which is a lesser problem IMO (really, haven't got any issues with my 3-year-old airtight-stored uncrushed grains), than to pay fortunes in a near future for what is already not (surprisingly) the cheapest of hobbies.

I got my 50lb bag of Briess 2-row from NB yesterday. They boxed up the whole bag and sent it intact. Looks good. At $69.99 shipped, it's about as cheap as I can expect, living so far from any of the big maltsters or a mega-LHBS.

If grain follows the price of milk, we are in trouble. A gallon of whole milk has gone from $1.10 to $2.98 in the last 12 months. That is at our local Aldi store. Oh...and we can't always get milk anymore.

Just checked in Beersmith and I've been hoarding malt even worse than hops.:ghostly::rolleyes:

I have 300kg here and 70 different types.
200kg of about 15 base malts and the other 100kg spread over 65 crystal/special/roast malts.
Should see me through for a while as I'm the only one who drinks my beer.

Might not be a bad idea to start brewing recipes based on only what I already have available and not keep drafting new recipes where I have to order some kind of new malt/hops.

Hopefully we come out the other side of this with cheaper prices in a year or two but I have a feeling that once the prices explode they will never significantly come back down again.

Covid and the climate change are going to be used as a reason to milk every last cent out of the people. Sometimes justified but more times as a poor excuse for ripping us off.

and not keep drafting new recipes where I have to order some kind of new malt/hops.
Stuck with the same dillema, I decided I better hoard now EVERYTHING I ever might need, even if just in small quantities. Because (knowing myself!) when I REALLY NEED something in the future, I'll buy that at ANY price.
So, buy that 1 kg of Red Crystal Rye you won't probably brew with in the foreseeable 3 years, just to not buy it later clandestinely from street malt dealers at the price tag of Cocaine :D

Actually it is getting outrageous here again. $2.19/gallon today when I filled up. Mrs. Monster works for Shell
Surely that’s a typo? I work for a Farmer’s COOP that sells Cenex branded fuels. Our regular 87 E-10 is $3.22. We haven’t sold gas for $2.19 since January 7, 2021.

Surely that’s a typo? I work for a Farmer’s COOP that sells Cenex branded fuels. Our regular 87 E-10 is $3.22. We haven’t sold gas for $2.19 since January 7, 2021.
Yeah. Here in MT regular 87 is $3.35-3.38 in the larger towns, $.05-.10 higher in the outlying areas. We’re in Billings this week, where there are 3 refineries along the 15 mile stretch of I-90 that is the south side of the city (1 Cenex and 2 ConocoPhillips), so the freight charges, locally, are minimal. We do have higher than average gas taxes in this state.

NOOOOOOO!!!!! I feel like such a troll. Not exactly a typo I was just wrong. I don't know why my brain just dropped a buck from the price. $3.19, sorry. And the corner store just went up another dime to $3.29. No line at THEIR pumps. A few places are just under $3 as of yesterday.
Screenshot from 2022-02-10 09-36-31GasPrices.png

And on the topic of grain prices…. Commodity prices are up across the board. This doesn’t mean the producers are making more net income though. Production costs and inputs are erasing net increases in income for the most part. Fuel, fertilizer, seed and chemical prices are also at near all time highs (if they can even find certain products). Availability of chemicals and replaceable parts are starting to put a real squeeze on the agricultural community. Add in increased transportation costs and increased energy inputs at the production facilities, and we are the ones who get to foot the final bill. That’s kinda how the ball bounces. Widespread regional droughts in the grain belt have also affected yields. I think @grampamark mentioned in another thread recently that barley acres are much lower than normal… being replaced with other more favorable species for the producers. When commodity prices go up, people automatically assume the farmers are magically getting rich as a result. That is far from true. The farmer is one of the few businessmen who gets to set the price of their products. It’s like it’s backwards for them… they buy their supplies at retail prices but sell their products at wholesale price.

Last edited:
Back