What do you do for a living?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an Engineer/Installer for a major window coverings manufacturer. You know all those fancy homes where you can control the lights, window coverings, and dog door,with a small touchscreen in the living room? I make our products work with those control systems.

AlmostSiR said:
I'm an Engineer/Installer for a major window coverings manufacturer. You know all those fancy homes where you can control the lights, window coverings, and dog door,with a small touchscreen in the living room? I make our products work with those control systems.
What control (PLC) systems do you use??
and what Co... do you work for?
JJ

I'm a log scaler.I measure and grade round logs to determine net content of lumber,veneer,shingle/shake etc.(expressed in board feet).Basically i determine the relative value of each individual log.I've been doing this for the same outfit for 20 years and unfortunately have witnessed first hand the decline of the timber industry in the northwestern US.I'm 10-15 years from retirement but don't think my job will last that long......I truly hope I'm wrong:( .
Cheers:mug:

As of the last year, I am a stay at home dad. It is the best job that I have ever had.
Before that, I worked in a chemical plant in the mechanical reliability dept.
I have been home brewing only for the past year. I should have started earlier. In my last job I had access to all the stainless steel material I needed, and a crew of welders and fitters at my disposal.

Onescalerguy said:
I'm a log scaler.I measure and grade round logs to determine net content of lumber,veneer,shingle/shake etc.(expressed in board feet).Basically i determine the relative value of each individual log.I've been doing this for the same outfit for 20 years and unfortunately have witnessed first hand the decline of the timber industry in the northwestern US.I'm 10-15 years from retirement but don't think my job will last that long......I truly hope I'm wrong:( .
Cheers:mug:
So, I guess you have heard the one about the blind log scaler . . .

Dude, I swear I posted in this thread....but I just looked and I couldn't find a post anywhere.

Anyways, I'm a 4th year apprentice in the Carpenters Union out here in Las Vegas, Nv. Local 897.

I'm a full time student and I also work full time in a call center. :drunk: Luckily, I'm getting laid off (center is closing) in about 3 months. Looks like I'll be brewing a lot more with all that free time!

I am a power plant operator/mechanic. I work a a GE Frame 6 Gas Turbine in San Ardo oil fiels. I work a rotating schedule. I also am a freshman high school football coach and I am also the High School Cheer advisor.

Spyk'd said:
Yep, I now work at the only brewery in Mississippi...Lazy Magnolia.

So, yeah, I get paid to brew and package beer. :p

:mug:

I am not a brown ale fan at all, but heard your Pecan Brown is killer - actually has taste to it (unlike that watery crap from England).

Also heard you guys are trying to hook up with a distributor for Southeast Louisiana. Will definetely try one, or two, or........

Environmental Consultant. I deal with petroleum releases and contaminant remediation. It's a good job but I miss my days of being a ski bum.

Jaybird said:
What control (PLC) systems do you use??
and what Co... do you work for?
JJ

I work for HunterDouglas. I work with all types of systems. The most common are Lutron, Crestron and vantage. Our products don't actually accept instructions from the systems. I program (serial protocol) and troubleshoot the aftermarket (ESI) motor controllers used, for both AC and DC motors.

Possibly the coolest job ever, I work at a theme park in Orlando, Fl. My job is to maintain and repair roller coasters:rockin:

Travis KilPatrick said:
I'm a patrol officer for a police department in west suburban chicago...definitely glad summer is coming to an end even though I personally don't like the cold weather.

I know someone in Schaumburg who is growing weed at his house? Could you possibly arrest him!?;)

I have been in the copier industry for over 20 years. Done almost every job in on around or related to office equipment. I am currently an operations manager for a small KonicaMinolta / Oce / Lanier / Duplo reseller. Title means nothing - I still set-up, repair, and deliver equipment. Also do cycle billing, customer service, vendor relations, HR, repo man - you name it. Not a glamorous job but it pays the bills.

AlmostSiR said:
I work for HunterDouglas. I work with all types of systems. The most common are Lutron, Crestron and vantage. Our products don't actually accept instructions from the systems. I program (serial protocol) and troubleshoot the aftermarket (ESI) motor controllers used, for both AC and DC motors.
sounds fun I get to do alot of PLC programing mainly Allen Bradley now but I useto do alot of GE Fanuc stuff Lots of AC and DC drives as well... its really cool stuff. Do ya still like it? How long you been programing.

JJ

Orpheus said:
I know someone in Schaumburg who is growing weed at his house? Could you possibly arrest him!?;)
Ha ha ha.

Funny.

Tried growing once. Ended up being male. Never tried again.

Cheesefood said:
Tried growing once. Ended up being male. Never tried again.

Don't worry Cheese, grow as much as you'd like and you'll still be male. Well, sort of. You'd be PHYSICALLY male. Until either you or Orpheus chooses otherwise. So eat, drink and be..... uh.... merry.

Jaybird said:
sounds fun I get to do alot of PLC programing mainly Allen Bradley now but I useto do alot of GE Fanuc stuff Lots of AC and DC drives as well... its really cool stuff. Do ya still like it? How long you been programing.

JJ

I do. I get to travel a lot, and work in the most insane homes you've ever imagined. I did a 3 day job in a penthouse in Chicago, and afterward, the owner let me borrow his Bentley to go get dinner. I must've pulled 3-4 miles of wire in this guy's house. Everything was controlled by his PocketPC through wi-fi. He was some oil magnate from the mid-east.

AlmostSiR said:
I do. I get to travel a lot, and work in the most insane homes you've ever imagined. I did a 3 day job in a penthouse in Chicago, and afterward, the owner let me borrow his Bentley to go get dinner. I must've pulled 3-4 miles of wire in this guy's house. Everything was controlled by his PocketPC through wi-fi. He was some oil magnate from the mid-east.
sounds like fun... hay whats wi-fi?
JJ

orfy said:
I work for a company who integrate RFID into industrial, retail, academic applications. I manage logistics amongst other things.

Don't let him BS you. He's really an agent for MI6 sent here to infiltrate the brewing world.

I take care of a very large, very rural cable system for one of the biggest cable providers in the US. I'm thinking about offering tours of my system to historical groups. I've got the cable system that time forgot. No digital, no broadband, no phone. We've got 62 channels and WE LIKE IT! Damn, I'm outta date!

sudsmonkey said:
I take care of a very large, very rural cable system for one of the biggest cable providers in the US. I'm thinking about offering tours of my system to historical groups. I've got the cable system that time forgot. No digital, no broadband, no phone. We've got 62 channels and WE LIKE IT! Damn, I'm outta date!
???

YOU'RE outta date?????? I live on one of the few places left on the planet that doesn't even GET cable. Or DSL. Thank God for Dish Network, and if it weren't for EVDO, I'd still be stuck in dial-up purgatory!

Bernie Brewer said:
YOU'RE outta date?????? I live on one of the few places left on the planet that doesn't even GET cable. Or DSL. Thank God for Dish Network, and if it weren't for EVDO, I'd still be stuck in dial-up purgatory!

Wow. As of a few months ago the last person I knew that could not get cable, got cable. I even know people in East Futt Buck Maine that have cable (TV and internet).

When school is on, in the mornings, I teach my kids at home. In the afternoon, I work for a family-owned hardware/lawn and garden store in Bangor, Michigan.

The Landers family has been in business since 1950, and my boss is the third generation to run the store. We do about a million and a half at retail.

I manage the lawn and garden department (featuring Husqvarna chainsaws and tractors), which means I get to spend Mr. Landers' money when I order stuff, and I don't have to worry about the checkbook balance. I also submit warranty repair claims to the manufacturers, order all the repair parts for the shop and for customers, and keep track of the inventory financing.

I'm also on the Bangor Township board, and an elder at the Bangor Church of Christ.

My favorite gig is teaching my kids.

I'm a Building Inspector in the town of Elkton. I was in construction for 17 years but had to jump ship and trade my hammer for a pencil!!

Another federal government employee here. I work QA and tech (among other things) for the Department of Defense. Needless to say, my job is frustrating and humbling at times. :)

PC Tech support. Mostly I support the local PC's, printers/scanners and maintain a few servers. Of coarse this job leads to me wear many different hats.

My job title is "Systems Engineer IV". Basically what I do is coordinate with different business units to gather their requirements for different projects, then I coordinate with different business units to document how a new system must integrate with the other existing systems. Then I architect a system and make a plan for how long it will take, how many resources we need to get it finished, etc... Then I supervise some contractors and offshore programmers to make sure everything keeps moving along and make sure that what we end up with is going to be acceptable to everyone when its all finished. Then I coordinate with another team to test all the features, and install it. I also have to manage the day to day operations of the systems when they're finished.

Basically I am a technology manager. I've always been a programmer in the past, but I rarely get to program anything anymore.

I do a bit of programming every once in a while as "mentor" type role to junior programmers and to keep the contractors progressing, maybe to find a bug that nobody else can fix, but its rare that I get to program at all these days other than some freelance stuff I do from time to time.

Most of my time is spent on the "bigger picture", keeping the different groups and workers involved moving along on the plan.

I am a Systems Integration/Process Engineer. Do process controls and automation for plant work. Mostly Waste Water and Fresh Water Plants and all the infrastructure that goes between the two. Started out as a PLC programmer and still do quite a bit of the more involved stuff but day to day task have become more administrative.

Work In a laboratory at a hospital but thinking about going into nursing, most likely ICU or Cath Lab. Lifeflight would be awesome though.

Back