what did i make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsallgoforasoda

Reaction score
I would like to preface this with the fact that this is my first attempt at brewing with out a pre-built kit.
So I was going for an Irish red but I think there is two much roasted barley

6.6 lbs light lime

.5 lbs crystal 40
.5 lbs Crystal 120
.5 lbs roasted barley

.5 oz east Kent goldings 60min
1oz Willamette 10 min

Imperial A-10

It came out much darker then I expected.
What style of beer did I end up making?

Did you taste the wort before it went in the fermenter? Based on your grain bill, I'd call it a brown ale, or even a dark amber. Assuming a 5.5g batch, it might wind up a bit sweeter than you intended with that much crystal. I'm sure you made beer though. Post a pic when you have it.

Did you taste the wort before it went in the fermenter? Based on your grain bill, I'd call it a brown ale, or even a dark amber. Assuming a 5.5g batch, it might wind up a bit sweeter than you intended with that much crystal. I'm sure you made beer though. Post a pic when you have it.

I did taste it it tasted good for wort but I still feel like I'm not enough batches in to know what characteristics from the wort will carry over into the beer?

Also I think we are pretty local to each other I live in kirkland.

It's beer.
It's darker, roastier and has more caramel malt than red ales.
It's a bit less roasty and dark and has more caramel malt than stouts.
It's has the caramel of an amber ale, but is more roasty and dark.
It has the colour of a brown ale or light porter, but too much roast and not enough toast and/or choc.

I think it'll drink more like a stout - somewhere between an Irish stout and a sweet stout.

I did taste it it tasted good for wort but I still feel like I'm not enough batches in to know what characteristics from the wort will carry over into the beer?

Also I think we are pretty local to each other I live in kirkland.
I live close to Maple Valley in the south end. It's hard to tell what exactly will carry over into your finished beer no matter how much experience you have; so much depends on yeast, fermentation temperature, length of fermentation, etcetera. Two identical beers fermented at different temperatures, or even with different batches of the same yeast, won't always come out tasting the same. But I do think, as @Gnomebrewer says, you'll have a nice darker beer when it's all done. If you like it, do it again! And again and again. Keep copious notes on every aspect of your brew. That's the way to get better at this.

Back