What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife wanted grilled cheese and tomato soup, so I made...
View attachment 773479

My wife and her mom decided to become bee keepers. She had a swarm take over her worm bin, my wife has always wanted bees, so she bought a hive, and they transferred them over. The honey, so good...can't wait...drool!!
View attachment 773480

Tomahawk steak and some carrots
View attachment 773481

Had something similar while we were in New Mexico. It's so good - a hatch chile pork stew. Roasted everything on cherry wood first then crock pot for half the day (corn, hatch Chiles, serrano Chile, tomatillos, onion, garlic, and pork shoulder).
View attachment 773482

And some sourdough french toast before she went into work tonight :)
View attachment 773483
Did they find E.T.?
Just kidding- I would gain 100lbs if I lived in your house.
The Tomahawk steak and green Chile stew made me drool.

Did they find E.T.?
Just kidding- I would gain 100lbs if I lived in your house.
The Tomahawk steak and green Chile stew made me drool.
That tomahawk last us four/five meals, lol, and that stew was so good. Sous vide then thrown on the grill.

With beans, should be good, too.

Now I'm out of leftovers, doh!!

64FE277E-C08E-46BB-A4E6-9AF6B9EFE2E8.jpeg

Top round London broil, steamed cauliflower and lobster Mac n cheese.

Last edited:
I had a nearly 3 pound, 1 bone rib roast which I put in the sous vide yesterday, then hard seared it in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. Also split a roasted sweet potato and some pan-roasted mushrooms between KOTC and myself. Forgot pictures (as usual!) but dang it was good.

Tonight is smoked salmon pizza - keto crust, cooked til crispy, cooled, topped with seasoned cream cheese, fried capers, thinly-sliced Serrano peppers, finely diced onion, diced avocado, and lox-style smoked salmon. Maybe I'll remember a picture! :)

I had a nearly 3 pound, 1 bone rib roast which I put in the sous vide yesterday, then hard seared it in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. Also split a roasted sweet potato and some pan-roasted mushrooms between KOTC and myself. Forgot pictures (as usual!) but dang it was good.

Tonight is smoked salmon pizza - keto crust, cooked til crispy, cooled, topped with seasoned cream cheese, fried capers, thinly-sliced Serrano peppers, finely diced onion, diced avocado, and lox-style smoked salmon. Maybe I'll remember a picture! :)
Yum!

2022.07.05_WangsOnThePatio.jpg

from Monday - wangs on the BGE.

brined for 3-1/2 hours, then tossed in a plastic bag with my dry rub for 30 min. 90 min at 225F before broiling in the oven to crisp up the skin

so good I failed to get an image of the plated wings. they disappeared quickly, accompanied by a generous serving of freshly made tater salad

edit: realized I noted these were in the BGE for 3-1/2 hours - NO, that would be wing leather. corrected this to 90 minutes

Last edited:
Wow, I just got caught up on all the wonderful food. I have not been cooking much for the last few weeks because I have been busy getting the RV ready to travel and retiring! The few things I have cooked have been simple things like brats. I did do a store-bought sausage ravioli in browned butter with sage and parmesan (yes, sage from the garden :) ), but no pictures. I have banana nut muffins in the oven right now though!

Wow, I just got caught up on all the wonderful food. I have not been cooking much for the last few weeks because I have been busy getting the RV ready to travel and retiring! The few things I have cooked have been simple things like brats. I did do a store-bought sausage ravioli in browned butter with sage and parmesan (yes, sage from the garden :) ), but no pictures. I have banana nut muffins in the oven right now though!
Welcome to the club!! A week ago today was my last day of work. So far so good.

Kitty gets snacks too!
Are those machines variable temperature? What temp is good?

Yes, sous vide can operate at a set (by you) temperature.

There are far too many factors to answer your question of "What temp is good?" You need to narrow down what "good" is to you before anyone can answer that question. When they ask, how do you want your steak prepared? You don't say "good" lol...okay, maybe you do, but then you'd be a smarta** like me, lol!

There are far too many factors
Thanks.
I was kinda asking what temp is good for that particular item--I was vague. I assumed they were ribs but now I didn't see that mentioned. Oh, well. Were those ribs?
I don't have one of those, myself, but I do ribs covered in the oven at 225°F for four hours. Curious how it would compare.

Thanks.
I was kinda asking what temp is good for that particular item--I was vague. I assumed they were ribs but now I didn't see that mentioned. Oh, well. Were those ribs?
I don't have one of those, myself, but I do ribs covered in the oven at 225°F for four hours. Curious how it would compare.
I did 24hrs at 150° (iirc) - pork ribs ;)

Dude. So much envy. Enjoy your travels.

Drool!

Can't wait to visit my parents in WV this Fall and mule back some deer meat. My freezer hasn't seen deer, and I haven't seen my parents, since pre-COVID :( I am going to take the sous vide this time, and show my Mom how to use it. It'll do wonders to some of those tougher cuts of meat.
I really don't think venison is a tough cut. It is very tender. It is a very delicate cut meaning there is a very small window from being purple rare to over done. I find the cast iron is the best way to do venison.

I really don't think venison is a tough cut. It is very tender. It is a very delicate cut meaning there is a very small window from being purple rare to over done. I find the cast iron is the best way to do venison.

I'm thinking shoulder/hind quarter which they usually use for jerky. It's been a while since I dressed one, but I recall a lot of connective tissue...wondering if the sous vide can manage that.

N pics but tonight we had an excellently simple meal. In France we can buy pre-cooked duck legs vacuum sealed in bags full of duck fat. So the wife stir fried some zukes, taters, broccoli and cauliflower while I seared the duck legs to crisp the skin. Served with a delicious 2016 Chinon red, finished with a very basic cheese plate of chevre, Camembert and emmental, it was quick but delicious.

I'm thinking shoulder/hind quarter which they usually use for jerky. It's been a while since I dressed one, but I recall a lot of connective tissue...wondering if the sous vide can manage that.
The hind quarters have great cuts. I am no butcher I separate each individual muscle each one has a different grain and name. Not sure if sous would take care of tissue unless it is stewed.

Back