What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a kroger sale tomahawk ribeye a couple of nights ago, then a baked Ziti for last night. Made the Ricotta for the Ziti too, by the way :)

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

Grilled some marinated beef for carne asada tacos
Looks delicious. I was waffling between steak tacos and French dip sandwiches this weekend for a stay-over guest. My wife decided on French dips (using prime rib). I cheat and always use ribeye for steak tacos (carne asada--I don't know the difference).

Käse Spätzle.
Thanks. I had to put it into Google translate. Google said it was German. I'll take its word for it. It told me "cheese noodles." Who wouldn't love cheese noodles? I recently posted a picture of my version of that-ish (cheese and macaroni). Yours looks fancy though.

Thanks. I had to put it into Google translate. Google said it was German. I'll take its word for it. It told me "cheese noodles." Who wouldn't love cheese noodles? I recently posted a picture of my version of that-ish (cheese and macaroni). Yours looks fancy though.
Yes, German. Cheese and some sautéed onion. It’s yummy, as I’m sure your cheesy mac and cheese was.

How do you find Kroger's quality to be? I've gotten their hams before and their hamburger which have been good enough.
It's hit or miss. Our Kroger always has a sale bin with really good deals. You just have to dig through them all and be very selective. Prices are usually great though. I have picked up beautifully marbled Nolan Ryan Chuck Roasts, T-Bones that look like Porterhouses, etc. Sometimes you have to go shop then go back when they have brought out a new batch of meat to get really good cuts.

I Costco-ed it out and impulse-purchased some salsa. I was going to make my own but the two looked pretty good.
Going to make some soft tacos tomorrow with seasoned and grilled peppers and the usual stuff. I always "cheat" and use rib eye for the steak tacos or burritos.
taco ingredients.jpg

marinating.jpg

I butterflied them to give the marinade a fighting chance. Marinade: Use a sheet tray. olive oil all over, teriyaki marinade next, sprinkle mesquite seasoning, sprinkle jerk seasoning. Lay down the steak on top of that and then do the same thing on top. Then I usually put it all in a freezer bag and spatula the liquid/spices and squish it around in the bag. You don't have to be very careful with amounts.
It's basically Bennigan's fajita recipe from the late 80s, early 90s.

fajita veg.jpg

Tried a recipe for fajita vegetables off the internet. These will marinate for around 24 hours.
Oil, minced garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika.
I'll have my wife take an image tomorrow that will convey and represent the final product.

Had to do the spicy green beans again last night at wife's "request" (demand). So I did the bacon wrapped poblano meatloaf again, with smashed taters, the green beans, and a shallot, wine, and beef stock reduction sauce. Down home decadent! Yeah, the plated picture is a little sloppy, but I was hungry!! lol
IMG_6762.jpg
IMG_6760.jpg
IMG_6764.jpg
IMG_6765.jpg

Pre-refried beans. Got the recipe out of a supposed authentic Mexican cookbook. I've given up on what is truly authentic Mexican; I suspect that what I see nowadays isn't what these good folks put in their bellies 100 years ago. I'll say though that the mixture smells great right now while it's simmering.
pre-refried beans.jpg

Beautiful but me, personally, would like a blurb--is that purple cauliflower?

Yup, purple cauliflower done on the grill in a bit of foil. Roasted carrots with a touch of honey and cardamom. Simple sauteed green beans with just salt & pepper. Pork tenderloin seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic. Low and slow to 120°, quick sear to finish. Pulled off the heat at barely safe temp. Leftovers sliced super thin for next day's campsite lunch.

Edit: my "low and slow" is 225°F. What's yours?

Weber kettle set up with a chimney's worth off to one side. Top exhaust wide open, bottom at minimum. I do the 'low and slow' for thick steaks, small roasts, and chicken parts on the far side, I'm not sure what temp it really is. For day-to-day cooking I don't bother with anything other than an instant read thermometer (the same one I use for mash temps, the horror!) for spot checks.

For real BBQ and big roasts, I use a Smokenator 2000 (yes, real product) and a leave-in thermometer to keep it at 225-235°. For whole poultry, I cook them butterflied at 325°.

Back