What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No picture but last night we had corned beef cooked 90 minutes in the instant pot, then I put some turnip chunks in the liquid after lifting out the corned beef to let it rest, and cooked those til tender; drained well and browned in a skillet with plenty of Irish buttah. Good Keto version of the usual St. Paddy's day fare!

Tonight, oven-roasted rack of lamb and sautéed baby Bella mushrooms.

"Bangers and Mash" Sweet potato mash with hedgehog and black trumpet sausages and a wild mushroom, onion and stout gravy. I have an old school stout on tap.

Nice morel haul (avatar)! I haven't had any luck finding b.t. this year, and I have not been out for like a week and a half...jonesing for a walk through the woods :)

The price is about the same. My Asian grocery carries them for $2.50 and one package is the equivalent of 12 packs of ramen, but they don't come with seasoning packets ;) At least half the time I just season with a spoon of tomato bullion and a shake of cayenne.
Check your store for Prima Taste ramen without the packets. They are stellar instant noodles from Singapore.

Same dough, day later. Even after 6 turns and using 100% bread flour (11.7% protein), this dough was a pleasure to work with. I’m completely keyed about using inverse puff pastry method (my first time - have always made a traditional puff pastry).

A7305BC2-39F1-4C13-9A50-4C74FAEF78B7.jpeg

B809DDB2-28EC-4F57-B7E5-C61EEB8D78C5.jpeg

Last edited:
I wish we had a good Asian market here! Alas, no such luck. And the closet Mexican market is the next town over about 20 minutes drive....
I get these with the curry packets. You can get them on Amazon. Best curry ramen ive tried by FAR. None of my markets though carry just the noodles. They are cheap but i cant find them anywhere. Not even Amazon carries the plain noodles but you can get just the sauce packets.
https://www.primataste.com/shop-online/our-products/premium-non-fried-noodles.html

Yup. Maine Beer Company. Should have used my right hand for the pic. I think there's still a dent from 2 months ago. Luckily that one is nice and dull. This thing will take my palm off. Time to wuss out and wear gloves

Holy crap. I’ve never seen an oyster shucker that sharp, though I’ve seen some clam knives come in middling that way.

I thought that was a tactical bear-belly-punch of last defense. That thing looks ninja-medieval!

Yessssss! Not what I cooked but what I got in the mail.

My trash talking game better tone down as this thing's pretty sharp.View attachment 722762
Rating? Thumbs down! Does bore into the shell but a good tester on Onset oysters. They're wild so not as flat and are very tight. I like the knife I got for a third of the price at the grocery store. It's got a nice little flip at the end and is a lot duller. Just a little bit of pressure and back and forth and it makes it thru any she'll.

Good season for oysters as a customer. Not as much demand from the lockdown. Everything is pretty much a buck
IMG_20210320_155748.jpg
IMG_20210320_160755.jpg
IMG_20210320_160808.jpg

030870FA-0531-4EC7-AA10-2C93B58E8C67.jpeg
Rating? Thumbs down! Does bore into the shell but a good tester on Onset oysters. They're wild so not as flat and are very tight. I like the knife I got for a third of the price at the grocery store. It's got a nice little flip at the end and is a lot duller. Just a little bit of pressure and back and forth and it makes it thru any she'll.

Good season for oysters as a customer. Not as much demand from the lockdown. Everything is pretty much a buck
View attachment 722902View attachment 722903View attachment 722904

NICE, man. What a perfect place to eat them and the beer looks fine. Never had Onsets. Jealous of you getting wild oysters. Tough to get anything here in any kind of shape, much less wild-harvested. Had some decent Wellfleets last night. My knife is like yours. Like the lip. Wellfleets are so easy to open anyway.

Seared breast of squab, red chard, dried black mission figs, foie gras, squab sauce. Beurre monté to bind the chard and figs, baste this quick-seared squab. I butchered out the birds, which come « NY dressed, » i.e., head and feet on, innards intact so the bird needs to be prepped first. I like it, because I use the neck, feet and carcass + heart and gizzards to make the sauce, sometimes use the liver to thicken, sometimes a side app as starter (e.g. squab liver tapenade).

Édit: just saw the awesome job on plate wiping, lol. Fam forgives me, even if I’m merciless.

Édit; not trying to be annoying with the French accents and quotation marks, etc. I often google in French and so set my iPhone to French, but for some reason can’t get English back despite resetting everything.

Last edited:
Made these a baseball-size for individual servings (though I can eat 2-3). Was looking forward to how the green pepper would be. I'm still trying to use up the hamburger in the freezer.
ml raw.jpg

They kept their shape this time and were a little firmer which I wanted.
ml cooked cut.jpg

I used a roux and that liquid au jus which tastes far different than the powder but I like that too.

ml gravy.jpg

Made these a baseball-size for individual servings (though I can eat 2-3). Was looking forward to how the green pepper would be. I'm still trying to use up the hamburger in the freezer They kept their shape this time and were a little firmer which I wanted. I used a roux and that liquid au jus which tastes far different than the powder but I like that too.

Look up lion's head meatball. Several of our authentic Chinese places offer them. If your burger is really lean add some fatty ground pork. They are normally made with pork anyway.
https://thewoksoflife.com/lions-head-meatballs/

Last edited:
Porchetta, mustard sauce, rocket and pickled onion on ciabatta

Looks awesome!

Are you British by any chance? I ask because in my experience “rocket” isn’t often used in the States. Much prefer to “arugula,” gives a better label to the peppery, hotter intensity of good, um, arugula (have to be true to my land, lol).

Looks awesome!

Are you British by any chance? I ask because in my experience “rocket” isn’t often used in the States. Much prefer to “arugula,” gives a better label to the peppery, hotter intensity of good, um, arugula (have to be true to my land, lol).
No American just like the name rocket better than arugula. Make my guests go what is that and gives a chance for my staff to engage.

Look up lion's head meatball. Several of our authentic Chinese places offer them. If your burger is really lean add some fatty ground pork. They are normally made with pork anyway.
That was a nice recipe. We have a HUGE Asian grocery store nearby in Madison Heights and I'm always looking for reasons to head back there. Since you seem familiar with Asian cooking, what's the deal with some of the usually small vegetables being gigantic?

We have a HUGE Asian grocery store nearby in Madison Heights...

Would that be the 168 Asian Mart at 14 Mile and John R? We go there from time to time to stock up on ingredients. I't a bit of a hike from our house but it's worth the trip. Stir fry recipes are really, really good with the right ingredients. The shaoxing wine is hard to find in other stores and makes a really big difference for us in a lot of recipes. I use a Lodge cast iron wok, just wish I had an actual vent over the stove that exhausted out of the house though.

Here are a couple websites that we make stir fry recipes from, thought I'd pass them along.

https://thewoksoflife.com
https://omnivorescookbook.com

... just wish I had an actual vent over the stove that exhausted out of the house though.
I feel your pain. The reason almost everything I post has me cooking outside is because my vent hood just exhausts through a crappy filter and back into the kitchen! Makes our clothes in the master closet on the other end of the house smell like whatever I am cooking! I would really like to rectify that issue some day. But at least when I am cooking outside I can enjoy a good cigar, so there's that :)

I feel your pain. The reason almost everything I post has me cooking outside is because my vent hood just exhausts through a crappy filter and back into the kitchen!

Tell me about it. I have 9 foot ceilings on the first floor and you should see the oil stain on my ceiling above the stove. We want to move and I need about 3-4 coats of Kilz and then paint the whole ceiling to make it look good. That's the same reason why we fry fish and chicken outside. One of our 'must have's in the next house is an actual exhaust fan strong enough to pull my hair straight up when it's on full blast.

So I was perusing SoupedUpRecipes.com and came upon a homemade noodle recipe using a KitchenAid and pasta attachments. So cool, let’s make some fresh pasta using this recipe. But I had to figure out what to do with it, so I looked for the simplest recipe she had. That was a Hong Kong style Lo Mein, that is just a few sauces and no meat or veggies at all. Did not expect much, despite its apparent popularity in China. I seriously underestimated this recipe!!! OMG it’s just awesome! Granted I used fairly high end oyster, soy, and dark soy sauces, but that’s all there is tho the recipe and it is just amazing!
D90F63A7-74FB-41B4-924C-6D1015515FA0.jpeg
76C1AC09-DDC1-4F12-BFF4-D1FFF47505D1.jpeg
05F7CBF3-A52A-444D-9700-727DC4AF50C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday i did Instant Pot cannellini bean and chicken soup with shallots, celery, carrots, little bit of potato and lots of onion. Seasoned with a Tuscan spice mix and some of the Kirkland 21 spice.

Cook the beans in bone broth and about half as much water with a little Tuscan spice mix and garlic. After the natural release add the other stuff that has been slightly sauteed in olive oil until softened. Set the Instant Pot on slow cook HIGH setting until its done. Finish with a little heavy cream (optional)

So I was perusing SoupedUpRecipes.com and came upon a homemade noodle recipe using a KitchenAid and pasta attachments. So cool, let’s make some fresh pasta using this recipe. But I had to figure out what to do with it, so I looked for the simplest recipe she had. That was a Hong Kong style Lo Mein, that is just a few sauces and no meat or veggies at all. Did not expect much, despite its apparent popularity in China. I seriously underestimated this recipe!!! OMG it’s just awesome! Granted I used fairly high end oyster, soy, and dark soy sauces, but that’s all there is tho the recipe and it is just amazing!
View attachment 723510View attachment 723511View attachment 723512

Noodles look perfect. I do lo mein a lot in the wok. When I make it, I like eggs (raw into wok) and green onions. Nom nom. And for me, sesame oil and ginger are non-negotiable aromatics, but as usual I digress.

For some reason my wife decided a year ago that we can't eat meat on Friday evening-breakfast and lunch are apparently OK. But we're having friends over today for grilled shrimp(I smoked a chunk of sockeye last night for an appetizer) so she put Friday on hold and I made green chile cheeseburgers with grilled bacon, she made French fries(because she's French). For people who don't eat chile hot enough to make your ears sweat and your scalp itch you'll never know the joy of a perfectly cooked and adorned cheeseburger.

That sure is! I live in the very corner of NE Detroit so it's an easy trip there. I'm very impressed by that place--endless product. Full disclosure, I wouldn't know what to do with 90% of the product so those recipes are welcome--thanks.
Would that be the 168 Asian Mart at 14 Mile and John R?

Back