What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm going to have a bumper crop in the orchard this summer.
The grapes (Cab Franc) are spoken for. They're all mine.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497391110.129277.jpg. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497391126.030161.jpg

Plums I've got up the wazzoo. Ripening mid/late July.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497391153.741525.jpg View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497391169.043033.jpg

Peaches View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497391197.962701.jpg. Ripening late August.

Pears and apples had a hard winter. Next year will be better.

One can only make so much jam/jelly/wine before it becomes work. (First world problem, I know.)

Nearby friends should take note and coordinate with me for orchard raids. I believe Melana and Big John walked away with a ton of peaches a few years ago.

I don't think it's harmful to EAT it - I just think every time you defrost it, it wrings a little more moisture out of it until it's really not appetizing any more.

I've refrozen partially-defrosted meat without too much loss of quality, but if it gets fully defrosted, even if I'm not gonna eat it right then I'll cook it up one way or another and then refreeze it. I also try to defrost it slowly in the fridge so it has some time to kind of soak up some of the juices that escape it as it defrosts.

Interesting experiment where they've found that thawed steak looses 9% of it's moisture compared to cooking it frozen. Just use a little more oil.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaE[/ame]

Pork and kimchi stirfry aka Jaeyook kimchi bokeum. Rice seasoned with smoked bonito shavings (katsuo furikake) and roasted nori.
P1020920_zpsbcwsukvd.jpg

Made my 50-50 chorizo chuck burger with a fried egg and avocado on brioche. Side of sweet potato fries that are most definitely not homemade, but are baked so I like to think that they're healthy

This burger looks and sounds amazing.

On occasion, I get to do a "secret shop" for a big organic chain store. I get a $50 gift card for my time. This last time, I got two dry-aged ribeye steaks. Put them in the freezer and tonight was the night to cook those puppies! OH they were good. $26.99 a pound good? Well, maybe - but FREE good, they most definitely were!

KOTC built a lovely fire in the small tabletop Weber we use for a steak or two, nice split oakwood, and then he threw on a big handful of freshly-cut rosemary sprigs just seconds before those steaks went on. Cooked perfectly; we had baked potatoes with butter and Greek yogurt, he had a tomato/red onion/avocado/feta salad with homemade vinaigrette and I had avocado slices with mayo. No pics, who thinks of that when faced with such a feast, but suffice it to say it was all absolutely delectable - not the least of which was a nice glass of 2008 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cab.

On occasion, I get to do a "secret shop" for a big organic chain store. I get a $50 gift card for my time. This last time, I got two dry-aged ribeye steaks. Put them in the freezer and tonight was the night to cook those puppies! OH they were good. $26.99 a pound good? Well, maybe - but FREE good, they most definitely were!

KOTC built a lovely fire in the small tabletop Weber we use for a steak or two, nice split oakwood, and then he threw on a big handful of freshly-cut rosemary sprigs just seconds before those steaks went on. Cooked perfectly; we had baked potatoes with butter and Greek yogurt, he had a tomato/red onion/avocado/feta salad with homemade vinaigrette and I had avocado slices with mayo. No pics, who thinks of that when faced with such a feast, but suffice it to say it was all absolutely delectable - not the least of which was a nice glass of 2008 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cab.

Wow, and the wine!

Garden lettuce, three types, and kale with homemade ranch, large chunks of avocado, and warm brisket smoked with hickory and cherry a while ago, just frozen and defrosted. Drizzled with sriracha. Considering, I made it in a microwave, with a pair of kitchen sheers, pretty stellar. Lots of taste, and no work. My kind of cooking.

View attachment 1498189327176.jpg

Back