What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally a pile of Monterrey Jack goes on to melt.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1487220752.144510.jpg

My take on Poblano Chicken Guadalajara. Original recipe has you dredge the chicken in flour then fry it in butter, which, while awesome, has a ton of carbs and even more fat,so I grill the chicken to make it more acceptable to SWMBO! Just eat it or serve it on flour tortillas like tacos!

Wow those are some vividly green 'chiladas! :ban:

I love the green ones too.

The sauce is essentially a bechamel sauce with spinach, cilantro and roasted and peeled poblano and jalapeño pureed into it. It's definitely very green and it's delicious.

Sockeye salmon the avocado garnish was a little weird, but it added some fat to the very lean fish. Maybe diced with citrus, and cilantro, things I didn't have on hand today:mad:

image.jpeg

Mmmmm,and that lamb is cooked perfectly IMHO!!

Saturday we made a vat of "Italian Grandma's Sunday Gravy" - made it in the 12 quart stockpot and it was FULL. Let it chill off overnight, then yesterday cooked it down to 6 quarts - it's thick and luscious. Sorry, no pics.

Mmmmm,and that lamb is cooked perfectly IMHO!!

Saturday we made a vat of "Italian Grandma's Sunday Gravy" - made it in the 12 quart stockpot and it was FULL. Let it chill off overnight, then yesterday cooked it down to 6 quarts - it's thick and luscious. Sorry, no pics.

Why do you tease us so?:D

Chili, using chili powder I made myself from peppers I grew.

NCVVyMT.jpg

QT5DNCp.jpg

4uYWUc8.jpg

SgzCWy2.jpg

Oh, and I raised the cattle from birth & slaughtered them myself for the ground beef.

(One of the above statements is not true. I will leave you to figure it out on your own.)

What's your pepper drying process? They look beautiful:D

Just beans. lb of Pinto and a lb of Black. In a crock pot with some salt and several strip of bacon for 8 hours.

Then I added some chicken bouillon and cooked some more. Still wasn't right so I bought a ham hock and tossed that in and cooked for another 8 hours.

Finally got some decent beans! Wife made goulash so I ate beans and goulash last night.

More rice and beans. Grilled pork chops rubbed with red chili paste and other seasonings. I made a simple sauce with fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, diced Jalapeño peppers, lemon and lime juices and some salt and pepper.

DANG, Remmy, you always make me drool with the pictures of this goodness - guess I better go heat up my leftover store-bought pizza now! :tank:

Wife made polish sausage stir fry last night. Kind of a whim because she grabbed that out of the fridge and the veggies and asked me how to cook it. We just had Chicken stir fry the night before, but it made sense to do it again, so that's what we did. Some oil for the veggies and then a bit of chicken bullion and a bit of water and cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Added some Belgian Wit Seasonings (McCormick??) for uniqueness. It was really good. I personally think some extra sauce and some rice would have went well, but they are on a low carb diet, so I suggested we didn't tempt themselves with white rice.

Only change I'd make is to not add the yellow squash until later. They were sliced a bit thin and most of them fell apart.

I gotta remember to get pictures! Ironic because while dinner was cooking wife and I were checking out some clip-on lenses for her phone. She's been into amateur photography lately and I should really trick her into snapping pics of all of my meals!

Chorizo y huevos tacos. So simple and dirt cheap (seriously - feed four for $10.)

Slice 4 bell or poblanos and a big onion. Sautée 1/2 lb of bulk chorizo, drain and then toss the peppers and onion in the chorizo drippings with a tsp of salt. Put the peppers and onion under the broiler. When they're almost ready, warm the chorizo back up and add six scrambled eggs to the chorizo. Stir together and serve everything in tortillas once the eggs set.

I had some fresh asparagus that needed eating, and some already-cooked rotini pasta, and 2 boneless thick center-cut pork chops, and a can of Aunt Penny's Hollandaise sauce.

KOTC suggested steaming the asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces, mix in the rotini, add the Hollandaise. After cocking my head in deep thought over THAT concoction, I thought, heck that sounds pretty good! Did that and added a fat pat of butter to the asparagus after I micro-steamed it, tossed in the pasta and Hollandaise, added a good bit of grated Parm, then I pangrilled those chops seasoned with some Slap Yo Momma seasoning and boy howdy, it was a fine meal!

And tonight, in honor of National Tortilla Chip Day (who knew?) we are having nachos made on homemade tortilla chips with house-smoked pulled pork, refried beans, pickled jalapenos, diced onion, halved cherry tomatoes, LOTS of shredded cheese, and homemade guacamole. And I just made my OWN mouth water typing that out! LOL!

Back