What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone reverse sear in here? I've some steaks on now and wouldn't mind input on temp and such. Currently at 80* internal with the grill at 250*.

OK, so I've got a quick minute before company arrives! I'm a "seat of the pants" type cook so very few hard and fast recipes for me but I'll tell you what I did this time.

Cubed up about 3 pounds of pork shoulder, cut off most of the fatty parts but not all.

In my 8 quart digital electric pressure cooker set to Brown - added a tablespoon or so of bacon fat and when melted, browned the pork in batches.
As each batch of pork cubes went into the pot, I sprinkled lightly with garlic salt and ancho chile powder.

Once it was all browned, added it all back into the pot including the accumulated liquid, then added a large-diced red onion and stirred every now and then til the onion was soft.

Added a 12 ounce bottle of homebrewed Porter, brought to a fast simmer and let it cook down til it was nearly evaporated. Added 1 28 ounce can green enchilada sauce, a 12 ounce bottle of green tomatillo salsa, half a bag of frozen Trader Joe's fire-roasted, chopped Hatch chiles (usually I use 2 7-ounce cans of diced Ortegas but happened to have those chiles in the freezer), a fat teaspoon of cumin powder, about 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, a fat teaspoon of dried Mexican oregano, rubbed between my fingers, and half a bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped, and stirred it all well.

Popped on the top to the pressure cooker and set it for High pressure for 20 minutes. When done, let the pressure drop naturally, opened it up, decided it wasn't quite thick enough and added a heaping tablespoon of masa flour (the kind you use for tortillas) and stirred well, turned the Brown function back on and let it cook several minutes til thickened to my liking, then shut it off, removed the inner pot to hot pads on the counter and let it all cool off about 30 minutes; spooned out into my 2 quart Pyrex batter bowl, which it filled up nearly to the top, and popped it into the fridge.

Will reheat in that batter bowl in the microwave tonight when ready to eat it. It is always WAY better the second/third day anyway!

So there ya have it. A stovetop pressure cooker would be fine too, I'd use at least a 6 quart size for this batch. Just watch it closely and as soon as it comes up to high pressure, reduce the heat to just enough to keep the pressure up and let it cook 20 minutes. This is one of my most-asked-for "recipes" in my family and it's quite easy and very delicious, even if I didn't start with fire-roasting chiles and tomatillos! :p

Definitely gonna make that! May even use my stove top pressure cooker, but may just braise like I usually do. I throw some masa into most all my chili recipes to thicken them up a bit. Sounds delicious! Thanks for posting it!

It's tomato season here in New England! :mug:

image_zpsls9vexwx.jpg

image_zpsmbz7scog.jpg

image_zpsnknqfcnv.jpg

image_zpslgrwqbdt.jpg

I am making a lasagne. "No-bake" noodles, some browned-up ground beef and sweet Italian sausage, and a sauce I made late last night ('cos as temptd knows, some stuff is better the next day if not later) that was essentially tomato sauce & diced tomatoes, olive oil, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, and S&P.

Should come together quickly. I'll try and take some pics.

Anyone reverse sear in here? I've some steaks on now and wouldn't mind input on temp and such. Currently at 80* internal with the grill at 250*.

You put it on the grill, then asked to forum for advice. Hope it turned out well!

Sauteed scallops and shrimp in clammy cream sauce (I combined white clam sauce and cream and lemon juice and white wine). On squid ink pasta. I added a bit of tomato juice to make it pink, but my camera white balance decided to make it white anyway. The sad parsley is from my garden, and the wine is homemade :)

_mg_1676-67540.jpg

_mg_1677-67541.jpg

_mg_1680-67542.jpg

Sauteed scallops and shrimp in clammy cream sauce (I combined white clam sauce and cream and lemon juice and white wine). On squid ink pasta. I added a bit of tomato juice to make it pink, but my camera white balance decided to make it white anyway. The sad parsley is from my garden, and the wine is homemade :)

_mg_1676-67540.jpg

_mg_1677-67541.jpg

_mg_1680-67542.jpg

Those two mugs in the first picture look like they are judging you.

So, in the end, I had to ignore the "quick bake" method and treat this like any other lasagne. Looking at it that way, it was the best one I have ever made. DEE-licious!!!

m7TLsxf.jpg

vZpw1iI.jpg

NswG0jn.jpg

0SCUTUd.jpg

1X3IGMe.jpg

3gdOvlM.jpg

aRMJNXA.jpg

I don't try and spread the mozz/ricotta/parm/egg mix, I just heap it out in blobs. Makes for an interesting texture.

I actually put too much ingredients per layer and had a whole layer (three sheets, heh) of pasta that I didn't use, but it was fine. Perfect, IMHO.

10/10 would eat again.

So, in the end, I had to ignore the "quick bake" method and treat this like any other lasagne. Looking at it that way, it was the best one I have ever made. DEE-licious!!!

I don't try and spread the mozz/ricotta/parm/egg mix, I just heap it out in blobs. Makes for an interesting texture.

I actually put too much ingredients per layer and had a whole layer (three sheets, heh) of pasta that I didn't use, but it was fine. Perfect, IMHO.

10/10 would eat again.

That looks KILLER GOOD! :rockin: I have been thinking about lasagna for a while, since I got the Atlas pasta roller. Wonder if I can skip the boiling part and just layer the freshly-made sheets of pasta in the lasagna? Maybe make the sauce a little thinner...so the pasta will soak up the moisture...hmmmm............

I was watching Bizarre Foods America this morning and Andrew was in the FL Keys, eating key lime pie with the biggest meringue head that I have ever seen. So I decided to try and make one myself, less meringue though.

I will post pics if it comes out OK. Also making homemade pizza, sauce is simmering and dough is proofing.

That looks KILLER GOOD! :rockin: I have been thinking about lasagna for a while, since I got the Atlas pasta roller. Wonder if I can skip the boiling part and just layer the freshly-made sheets of pasta in the lasagna? Maybe make the sauce a little thinner...so the pasta will soak up the moisture...hmmmm............

I don't see why not! Give it a try, anyway, I say. Maybe make a mini-pan's worth for a test?

Oh, and thanks!!! :D

Did they all finish about the same time?

Everything went on together at 225F. I pulled the wings after 2 hours and let them cool. I deep fried them right before serving. It is as awesome as it sounds.

I pulled the ribs and chickens together at the 5 hour mark. Sometimes chickens take closer to 3.5-4 hours, but these were fairly big so took a little longer.

The chickens were at 153F in the breast when i pulled. Both chickens had dry breast meat. One chicken had fall off the bone tender dark meat, and the other one had stringy dark meat. Go figure.

The ribs were great. Moist, and tender, but still attached to the bone. Outside developed a nice thin bark.

I feel fat today.

The scallops look awesome. Man I love scallops!!

Yes they are like candy. probably the only good thing about living in New Jersey. We get scallops fresh off the boats. My local grocery store sends buyers down to the docks to buy them They often are only hours out of the water. YUM. A good quick sear in a screaming hot pan and they are good.

Cast iron p0rn. I love this thing except when it rolled over and almost amputated my big toe the other week. Local Chatham scallops with fire roasted eggplant and bruschetta. Local packy had an Oktoberfest special on German beers. This is as far as I got with pix

Nice sear on those scallops.

Cast iron p0rn. I love this thing except when it rolled over and almost amputated my big toe the other week. Local Chatham scallops with fire roasted eggplant and bruschetta. Local packy had an Oktoberfest special on German beers. This is as far as I got with pix
Is that a 12" Lodge? Been trying to pick up an old large cast iron skillet, some of the prices are silly.
Yes they are like candy. probably the only good thing about living in New Jersey. We get scallops fresh off the boats. My local grocery store sends buyers down to the docks to buy them They often are only hours out of the water. YUM. A good quick sear in a screaming hot pan and they are good.

The only thing? I don't know you:D

Nice sear on those scallops.

Thanks. Got a little bit of smoke but that oil mixed with pasta was amazing.

Is that a 12" Lodge? Been trying to pick up an old large cast iron skillet, some of the prices are silly.

The only thing? I don't know you:D

That be the 15". That thing is a beast. It was still very warm after sitting for over an hour. We have a store up here called Kitchen Collection. A ton of kitchen nic nacks and stuff. Every so often they have the Lodge stuff on sale. I saw it on sale and left it but if you spend more than $50 you get 20% after checkout so soooooooooo I turned around and got it for just over $20 with the coupon. The problem was lugging at all the way back to the car. FYI: Dick's Sporting Goods is having a buy one get the other 50% off sale.

I've put some thick steaks on there and the pan just laughed as it and seared the f* out of 'em. No change in temp. Can't way to sear a roast on that thing. It hasn't won yet!

Back