What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, i love bulk cooking.Did you use some sort of seal a meal type machine? The reason I am asking is the last time I did that with juicing looking meat like that, I felt like it sucked the juice out of the meat! I don't think I see that in your packs how did you do that? Thanks

The ribs didn't have much liquid so no issue there. When doing ribs i tend to hit the seal button before it would automatically because i find the bones are sharp enough to pierce the plastic if allowed to suck hard enough.

The chickens were well rested and cooled to the point that the liquid had started to solidify. Don't be afraid to seal it early if most of the air is out and it is just drawing liquid. Home vac sealers can't really draw enough of a vacuum to make it oxygen free as it is. But it's better than plastic wrap or a plastic bag by orders of magnitude.

Not schematix but what we found works really well - freeze the meat first on a cookie sheet - once frozen, THEN vacuum-seal it. The juices stay in the meat that way! We do that with both raw and cooked meats. Works awesome!

Thanks! I'm having the same problem with my baked goods. My muffins end up looking like a marble. Super good advice, really appreciate it.

@schematix thanks for the ideas, I have to check and see if mine does that. Mine does like seal or suck and seal. It needs an early seal button.

Thanks! I'm having the same problem with my baked goods. My muffins end up looking like a marble. Super good advice, really appreciate it.

@schematix thanks for the ideas, I have to check and see if mine does that. Mine does like seal or suck and seal. It needs an early seal button.

Yep, same advice - freeze first, suck later! :p

If you are sealing something delicate, or airy, like a muffin or lettuce, you really need to be using a vacuum seal cannister. They're expensive, but you take the air out without anything collapsing onto your food and squeezing it. There's also an attachment that fits canning jars...great for dehydrated things, flour, sugar, cereals, rice, chips, etc. Keeps out air, moisture, and bugs.

Big batch of sausage and peppers -- made heros.

image.jpg

I was so pleased that the local kind of hoity-toity grocery store had scallops clearly labeled as "Dry packed." Dry-packed scallops are freakin' fabulous on the grill. Well, they were clearly not dry packed, as they turned into a mushy mess that splooged that white sodium tripolyphosphate everywhere. Gonna complain today. Hopefully I can get a free sixer from their very good beer selection.

Made a giant baked ziti last night. Remembered to take a picture before it when in the oven, but completely failed to take any more after that while we were stuffing out faces. :(

This morning I got two 4-5 lb brisket flats into a cure solution. Should be able to smoke these and turn them into pastrami the Friday or so before Father's day. :)

Ziti Prebaked.jpg

Briskets in brine.jpg

I was so pleased that the local kind of hoity-toity grocery store had scallops clearly labeled as "Dry packed." Dry-packed scallops are freakin' fabulous on the grill. Well, they were clearly not dry packed, as they turned into a mushy mess that splooged that white sodium tripolyphosphate everywhere. Gonna complain today. Hopefully I can get a free sixer from their very good beer selection.

I hate it when that happens...

That's just awesome! I have not done those since I was a kid camping with my parents. I wonder if I can find the pie irons? :mug:

They're actually surprisingly easy to find these days. Camp or sporting goods sections of big box stores have them. I see them at Meijer here in MI, but I see you're in TX. Maybe a larger grocery superstore down there? All I know is H.E.B. but I don't know how much they have besides food & beer.

That sucks. I stopped eating/buying scallops because everything in the stores nowadays is packed in that yucky splooge. No matter how hot the pan is they wont brown. Ruins an otherwise outstanding food. Its very hard to find the dry ones and when you do they are like $30/lb. BS.

They're actually surprisingly easy to find these days. Camp or sporting goods sections of big box stores have them. I see them at Meijer here in MI, but I see you're in TX. Maybe a larger grocery superstore down there? All I know is H.E.B. but I don't know how much they have besides food & beer.

Lol. I was unclear. I need to find mine! I think they are here somewhere.

That sucks. I stopped eating/buying scallops because everything in the stores nowadays is packed in that yucky splooge. No matter how hot the pan is they wont brown. Ruins an otherwise outstanding food. Its very hard to find the dry ones and when you do they are like $30/lb. BS.

I hate them packed is that what ever it is. I am very lucky to live near the coast so we can always get dry packed scallops. The fish guy at the local store will tell me when they came in and from what port. YUM

I eat them often. Seared in a screaming hot pan so they brown on the outside and are not overcooked in the middle.

Oddly enough, there's a farmside produce stand nearby, and the guy has a big cooler in the back full of Gulf shrimp and genuinely dry-packed scallops. That guy is a more reliable source for good scallops than the fancy high-end grocery store.

Marinated pork steaks over oakwood fire in the grill, corn on the cob slathered in butter, avocado with fresh-from-the-garden lime juice and sea salt. My sister recently sent me some real live New Mexico red Hatch chile powder, I used that on the pork along with garlic salt, onion powder, cumin, oregano, lime juice, and a splash of homebrewed beer. Should be good. Of course I won't remember to take pictures when faced with eating that yumminess!

Marinated pork steaks over oakwood fire in the grill, corn on the cob slathered in butter, avocado with fresh-from-the-garden lime juice and sea salt. My sister recently sent me some real live New Mexico red Hatch chile powder, I used that on the pork along with garlic salt, onion powder, cumin, oregano, lime juice, and a splash of homebrewed beer. Should be good. Of course I won't remember to take pictures when faced with eating that yumminess!

Damn girl! Your going all out tonight! Would love to get my hands on some of the red Hatch chili powder! Time to drive out west again and visit my brother in law. He's in Las Cruses and I always hit the groceries when we get out there!!

Back