What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image_zps9r8akgaz.jpgoriginal_zpscifqibe4.jpg

Meatballs with San Marzano tomatoes, Pecorino Romano, Parmesan, oregano, and basil. :mug:

Great picture!

I am in the heart of Pork BBQ country and, I don't have a smoker. I know that a Crock Pot isn't going to produce a product that is on the same level as a smoker, but we do what we must when there's a good sale on a pork shoulder (butt). Because of the amount of fat in a shoulder, you don't have to worry about it drying out. Just put the fattier side face down. It helps to flip it before the side on the bottom is fall-apart tender. I do salt, pepper, granulated garlic, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and a little splash of apple cider vinegar and let it go until it's ready (except for 1 flip, halfway through.) I guess you could add a small amount of liquid smoke, but I've never used it. Also, when it's done, strain the liquid and refrigerate overnight. The result will be a layer of beautiful, white pork fat and some great pork Jell-O that will make a great pazole!

Oooooohhhh.... Fat for soap?

I'll just use the pork fat for cooking. Good stuff! Never tried making soap though....

This was supposed to go in the smoker this morning (turkey breast) but got a call to go to work for about an hour!!!! 7 hrs later had to go to plan B;) should still keep me alive tho!

2016-05-15 16.24.01.jpg

I didn't cook a dang thing. Last night, we had leftover cheese-crust low-carb pizza; tonight, we went out to Thai with my sister - coconut soup, crispy duck, an eggplant dish, a basil fried rice, and cashew pork - man it was all good!

Champagne Chicken last night. I actually used a different Gewurztraminer wine instead and it was excellent. Wife wanted Parmesan and pea Risotto along with it, but after eating the Risotto with some Champagne Chicken Sauce, I didn't want it plain again. And some steamed Squash slices.

I love schnitzel, and spaetzle. Do you have a spaetzle maker? I have one but I'm not too good with it.

I don't. Seems like a unitasker that wouldn't get used much.

I just roll it into a thin sheet and cut into strips with a pizza cutter,

You got a recipe for this? :rockin:

I do, but I'm too embarrassed go post it. It's a Guy Fieri recipe. :eek:

But it's delicious! :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/one-special-spaetzle-recipe.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...bacon-mushroom-gravy-jager-hunter-recipe.html

Enjoyed my first attempt at making gravlax today. 2 day cure in the fridge. Delighted with the results to be honest.

Preparation
View attachment 354878

View attachment 354879

View attachment 354880

View attachment 354881

View attachment 354882

View attachment 354884

Very Tasty Indeed
View attachment 354883
View attachment 354885
View attachment 354886

Pairs Well With this Incredible Beer from Buffalo courtesy of @theCADjockey . Thanks mate.
View attachment 354887

Nice!

I picked up a bunch if 1lb wild sockeye filets recently just for lox...

Latest posts

Back