What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HbouUbj.jpg

The spent grain from yesterday's belgian quad made the tortillas I used in these chicken burritos tonight. My first time using spent grain. The last bite was all tortilla and it was a spiritual experience. The smell of the grain as it was being milled. As it was steeping in the hot water. As it was boiling. And the sweet nuttiness of the unfermented wort. It was all there in that bite. I love when a simple moment like this transcends a simple moment and becomes something really special.

And then I have to clean up all those filthy dishes and it's back to reality.

zc

My middle son made chili last night with this smoky bbq chili seasoning. Smelled & tasted like smoked meat was used with smoked peppers as well. Old El Paso, I think it was...

Thank you. You have inspired me to cook up a mess of pseudo-meatballs (not authentic but I love em) using the recipe my moms gave me that came from a great aunt.

I had to fiddle with the toaster oven for the knots. Bake them at one temp for a certain amount of time on one rack, then move the rack, reset the temp, and go again. It was a pain.

The carnitas get crisped up under the broiler, and the top element of the oven still works, so that was no problem.

It all looked good!

As per usual I interrupt your usual beautiful food broadcasting to show off my food xP as I was trying to figure out what to have for breakfast, I had the genius idea of making an eggs in the basket sandwich... Turned out tasty lol but ridiculously messy. So here's a picture of my half eaten sandwich, for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 1455035619934.jpg

Nothing, again. After cooking all that food on Sunday to have no one eat it, I am done with "actual" cooking for a while.

Good thing I have a ****load of leftovers.

Do you treat them with lye to get the pretty golden brown? I am jealous. Please share.
Thanks for all the comments, y'all. I will not be using lye...I don't have any on hand and would probably be a bit freaked about it, honestly. I'll be using baking soda in the boil, though. We'll see in a few hours!

Can't sleep so I made soup. That's what everybody does when they can't sleep right?
Broiled, peeled and chopped 5 medium poblano chilis, chopped 2 large leeks and added 1 pound bag of frozen corn to 2-3 tablespoons each of bacon fat and olive oil. Cooked for 5-ish minutes(i wasn't counting)
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455099997.117749.jpg
Added 32oz container of chicken stock simmered for 10-ish minutes and then added 1 cup of heavy cream. Seasoned with salt & pepper. Total time 30-40 minutes and it is wonderful. This will be really good tomorrow on a cold day.
Creamy Poblano/Leek soup.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455100325.820740.jpg

That looks good. Thanks to @Bucknuts I am now wanting to find myself a recipe for potato leek soup and thanks to @mattmmille the bagel I bought in the cafeteria this morning for breakfast became retroactively less satisfying.

Last time I made bagels I learned something new. If you don't have any food grade lye, you can convert your sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) into sodium carbonate by spreading it out on a sheet pan and baking it for an hour at 200 degrees F. Sodium carbonate is not as alkaline as lye, but is much more so than plain baking soda, and it works well. YMMV :)

image_zpsokvie08o.jpg

Cooked this beautiful, fresh, local turkey this past weekend. Sorry, no finished dish pics, but it was delicious! :mug:

I have a turkey stock simmering on the stove for soup later; I'll try to get a pic of that.

-Mike

Food grade lye friends... what is the concentration of the lye solution that you use for say... pretzels? I've got pounds of lye and want to make pretzels.

Food grade lye friends... what is the concentration of the lye solution that you use for say... pretzels? I've got pounds of lye and want to make pretzels.

What I've done:

LYE DIP:
2 level tbsp. lye
2 quarts. cold water

Heat (don't boil) lye solution, dip for about 10 seconds, let dry on rack for 10 minutes, bake. Make sure to keep aluminum away from the lye and pretzels. Best thing by far is a silicone sheet / silpat.

Stromboli tonight... Italian sausage and cheddar (I'm out of mozzarella).

That looks great! I've never tried a stromboli with cheddar before, but I imagine it worked fairly well.

I was gonna have some pan seared tuna steak tonight with mashed potatoes and zucchini but sadly the store was out of tuna steaks since they were on sale for $2.99 a lb. I was very much looking forward to it too. Oh well maybe next week. I picked up a 5 lb pork loin though for $8, on sale. I love sales xD I'll be eating on that all week.

Latest posts

Back