What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought one more than a few years ago. Paid for itself within a year by buying whole olives on sale instead of the pitted ones.

Bought one to pit cherries for pickling and preserves.

I have it, and use it mostly for cherries. We DID use it on kalamata olives when my youngest was to young to deal with pits.

Dang it you guys. OK, I assume you have olive stuffers too? I'm stuffing Queens with my homemade blue cheese this afternoon.

Right now I'm transferring my tomato plants from pots to garden on south side of house. They got WAY too big for the self-watering planters/cages and keep tipping over. Ugh.

Dang it you guys. OK, I assume you have olive stuffers too? I'm stuffing Queens with my homemade blue cheese this afternoon.

Right now I'm transferring my tomato plants from pots to garden on south side of house. They got WAY too big for the self-watering planters/cages and keep tipping over. Ugh.

What is an olive stuffer. Do I need a new tool for the kitchen.

My prospective tomato area is under six inches of snow.

I don't want to hear that right now......

This is the South side of my house right now.

image.jpg

Just took a taste of the chili, it's tasting really good for how simple it was. Not my best pot of still very good. The slight buzz I have from drinking a 1 liter bottle of mulled wine might also be affecting my judgement. I'm gonna go full nostalgia and make a frito pie with it.

View attachment 1453579173037.jpg

I don't want to hear that right now......

This is the South side of my house right now.

Holy cow - snow!. I rarely turn on the tv, so I don't get the national weather much. Newspaper said you guys up there are going to get some snow.

It's been chilly down here, but not that kind of chilly. Thermometer says it's down to 55 and my wife wants me to make a fire. Brrr! At least it's sunny.

Stay off the roads up there pal.

17" so far and more expected.

55 and sunny sounds so good right now. It is 20's with about 45 mph winds right now. Damn wind keeps blowing snow back into places I shoveled out.

On a food note I put a pot roast with onions, cartots, parsnips and potatoes in the slow cooker is morning. It will be so good after shoveling all day.

I do not, to my knowledge, own an olive stuffer; however, I would enjoy demolishing about 5lbs of olives stuffed with homemade bleu cheese! My garden spot is also covered with snow. Actually, it's mostly sleet; so it isn't impressively deep, but it is dangerous. Made some butterscotch chips and pork rind cookies. What else could I do? I couldn't find the potato chips!

IMG_20160123_163531731.jpg

IMG_20160123_165641802.jpg

Is that a hunted rabbit or one purchased at the butcher's?

I'm particularly impressed and pleased that you used the whole rabbit (or at least got two dishes out of it).

Did you make croquettes out of the livers, and are you implying the apfelwein went into the soup?

Is that a hunted rabbit or one purchased at the butcher's?

I'm particularly impressed and pleased that you used the whole rabbit (or at least got two dishes out of it).

Did you make croquettes out of the livers, and are you implying the apfelwein went into the soup?

Store bought rabbit I'm afraid. The city rabbits round here are plentiful but are by all accounts riddled with parasites. I lack the skills needed to nab one anyway.

Tossed the liver in the trash. Everything else got eaten/used. I still have some leftovers for lunch today. . Heart and kidney went into the stock as did the Apfelwein which I used to deglaze the pot.

@mattmille Are you saying you put both butterscotch chips AND pork rinds in the same cookies?
Regards, GF.

Yup! The recipe called for potato chips. Turns out SWMBO had them. In the meantime, I decided to try the pork rinds. Turned out pretty good, but the butterscotch overpowered them. Too sweet! Could try semi-sweet chocolate next time. Bigger pieces of pork rinds were a little chewy. So, they were definitely edible, but I wouldn't really call it a resounding success, either.

Haven't made quiche in a while. 2-9" from 1 bowl cool whip & 9 eggs, with seasonings & fillings. Comes out richer than cream or half-n-half. Thicker too.Even my multi-handicapped, narrow range eater son loves it.

Friday night, Chicken Marsala (sorry no pic, we were hungry.)

Tonight Chicken Chow Mein, home made. It was actually pretty darned good! Had a lot of chicken so half went to our "Asian chicken" (in orange-garlic-pepper sauce) to keep for later. The Chow Mein was quite nice, lots of garlic and ginger with oyster sauce and veggies. Next time More Veggies, maybe less noodles, but it was great with some beer!

chow mein.jpg

Turkey meatloaf, mushroom barley risotto, roasted brussel sprouts......
You had me until the Brussels sprouts. That turkey meatloaf looks like a country pâté... if any leftovers, room temp with mustard and cornichones!

Got a butternut in the pantry waiting for to be made into soup. What did you do for yours?

Diced squash with onions and apples. Cooked in chicken stock until really tender. Pureed, and added a bit of apple juice and half & half. Salt & pepper to taste.

It was 4lbs of diced squash, 2 sweet yellow onions, 2 macintosh apples, 2 cups chicken stock. Then a cup each of apple juice and half & half. And yes, that feeds an army. :)

Diced squash with onions and apples. Cooked in chicken stock until really tender. Pureed, and added a bit of apple juice and half & half. Salt & pepper to taste.

It was 4lbs of diced squash, 2 sweet yellow onions, 2 macintosh apples, 2 cups chicken stock. Then a cup each of apple juice and half & half. And yes, that feeds an army. :)

MMmmmmm sounds perfect. Tomorrow is supposed to be frozen rainy sleety crap, maybe I'll have to do go for this. Finish up the half & half....yup. Sometimes winter is not that bad if it makes you go really *cook* something good.

Mexican slaw - Cabbage mix, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeños, garlic, sour cream, dash of sugar.

Sriracha cream sauce - sour cream, sriracha, half and half

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453731264.709670.jpg

Ground pork, tomatoes, jalapeños, peppers, splash of stout, cumin, garlic, simmered over high heat for ~15 minutes to reduce.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453731276.046589.jpg

Tostones

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453731394.522978.jpg

Put it together.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453732512.232315.jpg

Put it together.

Looks delicious. Stout and pork. Sounds incredible. Going to have to make tostones one of these days. I usually just deep fry plantains when they are still firm. Come out like chips (French Fries) from fresh new potatoes. But tostones look great.

Back